PDA

View Full Version : Career Breaks (RAF) Help Required

Andy_20
8th Jan 2008, 18:34
Hi guys, im on here looking for help and information on taking a career break in which i would like to take 9 months out of the mob to complete my ATPL theory examinations residential. I have looked at the JSP760 Chap 18.006 which states " Service personnel wishing to undertake a CB should submit a written application to their commanding officer giving notice equating to the normal posting notification period applicable to their service. "

Problem i am having is the format in which the application is best written. I have spoke to other service personnel at work such as Cpls and Sgts and to be honest i am no nearer where i need to be. I have heard you need to write such things as " your obdient servant " in written applications.

Does anyone know where i can see an example format to write the application, so i dont look like an idiot.

Any help much appreciated...

Regards

c130jbloke
8th Jan 2008, 18:59
Before you even bother putting finger to keyboard, ring your desk man at PMA (or whatever we call it this week). Your ignorance (no offence) of DW makes me think you are not an RAF pilot, which means that if you are in a trade that has a manning problem (IOW all of them) you will be screwed before you even apply.

That said, best of luck ;)

rej
8th Jan 2008, 19:29
I have just helped one of my staff get a career break (albeit a 3 year sabbatical to move overseas with her husband). It is fairly simple provided that the support is there from the line manager and the desk officer. It is fairly simple with no great DW conventions to worry about (and there speaks an ex-ISS tutor). I think the process was started with a number of phone calls and then the submission of a Gen App (yuk I hate the bloody things!!!); more and more these days, since the loss of the formal letter (your obiedient Servant blah, blah, blah), routine letters and Gen Apps seem to be the acceptable norm. The process was handled pretty much by the guys at ACOS Manning who liaised with the branch sponsor etc.

My biggest piece of advice is to apply early as the whole process was, through no individual's fault, frustratingly slow.

Good luck; it is not that difficult and will certainly make your studies easier.:ok:

c130jbloke
8th Jan 2008, 19:50
Bloody hell !!! So somebody has actually got one :eek:

Well then go for it and the best of british to you.

mustflywillfly
8th Jan 2008, 20:22
Dude,

Ok so I am Navy but I have just had a Career Break accepted. I am off to do the ATPL exams plus CPL and Flying Instructor Rating.

As you have no doubt realised taking a career break is ideal as you get to go for a change in career but still have a plan B if it all goes wrong (2008 is also looking rather turbulent economically).

The process is very simple. PM me with your e-mail and I can send you all my bumf including a copy of my letter (written with all consideration given to Defence Writing, having done the joy of staff course).

In the Navy at the moment most applications are being accepted with the view that they are a good retention measure.

Cheers

MFWF :ok:

P.S I note your location as Lytham! My home town.