PDA

View Full Version : GIB--more than just 80lbs of flesh?

RansS9
7th Jan 2008, 21:00
(Please note not serving or ex-serving...okay I am serving just not in the military or at McDonalds.)

F/A 18 pilot; "I'd take at GIB to the extra fuel any day; then should we crash I'll have 80lbs of flesh and a spare set of sunglasses!"

A tad uncharitable I think... especially given the opinion of the gentleman, in someway affiliated to the Indian AF, commenting in the Flight Testing forum about the Su30. Here he implied that during their initial workup they fared quiet badly compared with the Mig29's they had; but that this in time changed and one of the most important reasons was the extra pair of eyes and assoc SA that came with the GIB. I understand that these are complex issues; type of operations, experience, training etc etc but I would value the opinions of those that have seen that, been there, and got the T-shirt.

What does a GIB bring to the tactical situation that a single doesn't?
Does this vary in BVR WVR CAS etc?
Can modern technology makeup deficiences?
In present day Two Seaters do pilots stay with the same GIB or do they rotate round?
If they rotate does that diminish the depth of the crew co-op compared with crew members that don't?
Just what is the weight / cost penalty of adding another crew member?

I'll stop rambling now. Just interested if anyone has a view.

TIM

(Apologises if GIB isn't the prefered acronym.)

Brian Abraham
8th Jan 2008, 00:54
Israel see's single seat as a major drawback. Their view is the front seat does the flying and the back focuses on the mission. One man can't take advantage of all the options (jamming, information warfare, network attack). They bemoan the lack of a two seat F-35 and will as a result will keep the two seat F-15 and 16 in service longer than they otherwise might have. (AW&ST 17 December 07)

Ali Barber
8th Jan 2008, 01:37
Having flown both single and 2-seat air defence, when you have a good and bad crew combination in any order, then the results are a bad crew. But... if you have a good pilot and good GIB the results, to quote the Americans, are "awesome".

Like-minded
8th Jan 2008, 02:32
My Gib gives me a back massage at the end of every mission, with oodles of baby oil as I like it. Then we high-five and he rides pillion with me to go play volleyball.

Seriously, if you feel lonely in the cockpit, tune into Radio Tehran or somethng.

Sensor fusion makes the rear seater obsolete, and soon the front seater as well.

L J R
8th Jan 2008, 03:50
A GIB who sports a pair of D cups makes that survival situation just that little more bearable.

Booger
8th Jan 2008, 04:27
Sh!t Tiger - you should head back to 1 Squadron then...

When the Navs hit the crew room at the same time it looks like the starting grid at a frickin' Zeppelin race..!!!!

:}

MightyGem
8th Jan 2008, 04:53
Anyway, where are you going to find an 80lb GIB?