PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone help?

isi3000
7th Jan 2008, 14:21
I not following the flight instructor path and i think i'm going to take the ATPL rather than the CPL because i don't need the latter. If i have the CPL would it make any difference to a company hiring or would it just be superfluous to requirements. I was told I only needed the CPL if i wanted to become an instructor and go no further! Is any of this information correct? :confused:

pilotincommand
7th Jan 2008, 14:26
The information you have have refers to the written exams. All pilots who wish to fly for a living have to have a CPL (becomes an ATPL once you have enough experience). If your desire is to fly airliners, you don't need to do the CPL written exams, at least not in Europe and some other places, or the IR exams. A pass in the ATPL exams will cover you for the issue of both of these.

isi3000
7th Jan 2008, 14:40
so does that mean i cant fly for an airline with just the ATPL? If so do you know why? because that info was givin to me by bristol groundschool!

isi3000
7th Jan 2008, 14:44
and if i studied for the CPL and had the frozen ATPL it would become unfrozen after 1500 hours right? so what would be the point in anyone doing the ATPL? Also if it does not enable you to fly for a living then what does it enable you to do?

isi3000
7th Jan 2008, 14:52
i do wish to fly for an airline so does this mean i don't need the CPL? I don't expect to get a job immediately so i wouldn't mind turboprop, ferry flying and the like. Would i need a CPL for that?

isi3000
7th Jan 2008, 15:02
can anyone help me with any of the above questions? :O

redsnail
7th Jan 2008, 15:08
Have you read LASORS?

I'd go to the CAA (http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=175&pagetype=68)website and down load it (or buy it at your local pilot shop) and spend several hours reading it and digesting the info in it.

If you're in a shopping mood, I believe Clive Hughes book is very useful for explaining the various processes that apply in Europe.

In short, fATPL is short hand for CPL/IR* with ATPL exam credits.

You don't need to do CPL theory in Europe, you do the PPL theory and the ATPL theory. The ATPL theory covers CPL, ATPL and IR theory all in 14 fun and thrilling exams.

Then you add in the flying. PPL (assuming you're "modular"), get hours, then train for the CPL and the IR.

You MUST have a CPL for any flying work that you receive a remuneration (eg money) for. The ATPL is achieved once you have the hours (nominally 1500 hours with 500 hours multi pilot, 100 hours night etc) and you've passed the skills test.

*Commercial pilots licence with Instrument Rating

davey147
7th Jan 2008, 15:10
Why not wait for someone to reply ... have a little patience.

You need a CPL for enganging in any commericial activity, i.e. one that you get paid for, that answers your questions.

I suggest you get a copy of LASORS from the CAA, as all the information is in there.

isi3000
7th Jan 2008, 17:20
didn;t mean to sound impatient! i just kept remembering other things i needed to ask :)

isi3000
7th Jan 2008, 17:22
Thanks everyone for the really helpful info :)