PDA

View Full Version : SE IR(A) to ME IR(A)? A cheaper route?

Simon150
6th Jan 2008, 18:45
I have searched the forums for this so if its already been covered (which I am sure it has) maybe I can be pointed in the right direction.

I am about to embark on an ME course prior to starting the ME IR(A). However, it has been pointed out to me by somebody who should know, that the cheaper route is an SE IR(A) followed by a conversion to an ME IR (A) which according to LASORS requires only 3 hours in an FNPT II plus 2 hours in an ME is far as I can make out (plus the ME Class Rating/approved course).

This sounds like a much cheaper way of doing things although I haven't done the sums, and I have never heard of anybody (certainly nobody I know) doing it this way.

My question is simply what am I missing? If this is cheaper, whats the downside?

In fact, having searched the net, I am stuggling to even find anybody who offers an SE IR(A) - only the ME variant!

thanks in advance

outside_loop
6th Jan 2008, 19:38
It might be cheaper in theory - not sure - but i wouldnt if i were you!
why? because you'll need to take two IR flight tests - they're expensive in themselves, but what happens when you find you cock up something in the SEIR test and have to retake it (another 712 bucks to the CAA plus flying costs, approach and landing fees), then you pass it, then you take the MEIR test and maybe the same thing happens again! arghhh! – that might be unlikely if you've already recently passed the SEIR test, but just don’t go there chap!!!! no matter how confident you are about the tests and your flying, it might just not be your day for one reason or another.. (dont get me wrong though - its a rigorous test, but not something to be too scared of!)

also, i reckon theres a good chance you'd need more than 3hrs sim + 2hrs in a plane for the MEIR conversion training. that doesnt seem like much time to me.

maybe some instructors will have previous experience of this stuff and advise...

best of luck with it all :ok:

SILENT_BADGER
7th Jan 2008, 08:28
I'd endorse what outside loop said there because I did something rather similar to what you're proposing there. I took an FAA IR whilst out hour building in Florida in a Warrior. Logic behind this was that I could then simply get an MEP and a 15 hr conversion course, then take the test to acquire a JAA ME IR. This was terribly clever in theory as it would save a lot of expensive UK ME training hours.

The flaw was that I like most people need hours in an aircraft not merely to be able to tick a box on the form but actually to build up sufficient proficiency in that aircraft to take the test with confidence.

So in the end I trained for longer than the 15hr minimum, partial'd the IR and came out roughly even financially as if I'd done it the normal way. It didn't help that I didn't fly at all for 7 months (doing the ATPL groundschool) between taking the FAA IR and starting the MEP and JAA IR conversion.

OneIn60rule
7th Jan 2008, 12:18
However the idea here is bad.

I did an FAA IR SEP. It took forever to do since it was part 141.

I then went to the UK much later on to do CPL, MEP and MEP IR.

The MEP IR was the bastard. You'd think that with an SEP IR that you'd manage easily however reality sunk in with me just after 4 weeks or so.

I won't get into why it was harder but I will tell you that I was not the only bloke who was disappointed. A number of my friends had the same issue. The only ones who had no trouble at all were the ones who went to *SPAIN* for their *IR CONVERSION MEP*.
Again bearing in mind these chaps/ladettes had an FAA SEP IR.

How long did they take for it? Oh about 1-2 weeks.
How long did it take me and the others in the UK for the MEP IR with an already existing FAA SEP? 2-3 months.

If I were you I would plunk down money for the MEP and do the MEP IR right after. Certainly don't do the false economy like many of us before yourself.

Or of course venture off to Spain.

-1/60 financing the annual ball for the CAA since 2004