PDA

View Full Version : AFT, PAT, Airways, BFC, Aeros or the Flight Centre Wolverhampton? Help Required!

ZuluWhiskey
6th Jan 2008, 14:33
Without going into huge detail about my background and situation, I am at the stage where I should be booking a place on a CPL/IR course. I am at the end of Mod 2 (BGS) and am just approaching 160 hours. The above schools have been chosen as they have all been recommended to me by friends and colleagues, however I'm having great difficulty in choosing between them. Another reason for selecting them is that it is important that ME/IR training is carried out on a analogue twin such as a Seminole/Seneca rather than a DA42; this is due to my chosen career route.

Due to work commitments and current location, I am not going to be able to visit any of these schools before booking a place. All up to date comments regarding any of these training providers from current students and students who have attended them in the last six months or so would be much appreciated!

Thanks

PS. I have done several searches on all of the schools, however I'd really like the most recent opinions which most probably comes down to the current management and instructors. Thanks again!

Ewanc
6th Jan 2008, 14:38
As an experienced purveyor of fine flying schools my vote goes to the Hawaii Flight Centre. Excellent staff expecially like the hula girls. As for your location are you in Inverness or something?

JB007
6th Jan 2008, 14:52
PAT at BOH are excellent! Superb instructors, awseome value for money and most of all, a really enjoyable experience...

wbryce
6th Jan 2008, 15:33
I'm at PAT just now; my choice was between Airways/PAT, at the end of the day you can't go wrong choosing either one of them! PAT was more convient for me! as JB007 says, the instructors are fantastic.

bobster1
6th Jan 2008, 17:43
The Flight Centre at Wolves has DA42 for CPL and IR training, although it may be possible with them to do CPL on an Arrow and the IR on a Seneca as they have one at there disposal, a quick call to Malc or Paul should clear that up.

G SXTY
6th Jan 2008, 19:26
I finished my CPL/IR at PAT last November.

First series pass in the CPL, first time IR, minimum hours, ahead of schedule, price as advertised. The Duchesses are well maintained and very nice ME & IR training machines. In three months, I only lost one day due to an aircraft going tech. The atmosphere is friendly and the standard of instruction superb - one instructor has in excess of 26,000 hours (that's twenty six thousand) and drives the B17 on his days off. :cool:

The ethos of the school is to over-prepare students for test. This might not suit everyone - some might feel there is no need to do more than the minimum required to pass the exam (and clearly everyone wants to minimise their training costs) but PAT's results speak for themselves. Of the people who trained with me, six passed the IR first time, three got a partial then passed the retest, and only one failed outright.

From my experience, what could have been a pretty hairy IR test* was actually quite straightforward, but only because of the level of training I had received.

A very very good school.

* Thanks to Cardiff Approach - you want what speed to 4DME? :ooh:

moggiee
6th Jan 2008, 22:10
The Flight Centre at Wolves has DA42 for CPL and IR training, although it may be possible with them to do CPL on an Arrow and the IR on a Seneca as they have one at there disposal, a quick call to Malc or Paul should clear that up.
It's actually a Seminole - but the Arrow/Seminole combination should be OK.

HappyFran
7th Jan 2008, 11:36
ZuluWhiskey,
Obviously I don't know your circumstances, :confused: but CPL / IR is not a cheap course(s) and you really will benefit / learn / gain more experience if you jell with you trainer.:ok:
Surely if you are in Exeter you could find 1/2 day to check out BFS and 1 day to check out PATS and BCFT (my personal choice) at BOH.

ZuluWhiskey
7th Jan 2008, 12:18
Many thanks to everyone that has replied so far. PAT certainly seem to be getting lots of positive comments at the moment. Does anybody out there have up to date comments (good/bad) regarding Aeros/Bristol/Atlantic? I hear that Aeros have lost several instructors recently. How is that affecting the current students?

Happyfran, it would make me exceedingly lazy if I was in Exeter and didn't have time to visit Airways! I actually live in Inverness now but haven't got round to changing my location on pprune. Sorry for the confusion. Are you a current student at BCFT?

Thanks again!

HappyFran
7th Jan 2008, 12:59
ZuluWhiskey,
Yes I am currently at BCFT studing my ATPL theory at BCFT having done my PPL there.
I like them alot and will happily sing there praises, as do all the students at BCFT. In chosing BCFT I also checked out Cabair and PFT at Bournemouth and based on my impressions obviously chose to do the "Jetline" course which is a quasi integrated course through to fATPL. I obviously have opionions on the offerings of PAT and Cabair but they are just that, opinions, and are no substitute for visiting the FTO's and forming your own views.
Any search on pprune will throw up very entusiastic endorsements for all 3 schools which if nothing else suggests that other ppunes like there own choices and all 3 are worth considering.
Visit all 3 and make up your own mind. It is after all about your own personality / needs gelling with the instructor and the equipement that they have to offer.
One day padding around the schools (they are within 200m of each other)and I suspect you will quickly be able to make up your mind.
I can of course give you a full chapter on BCFT but we are all human and have our own baggage of likes and dislikes which may vary with yours.;)

CABUS
8th Jan 2008, 10:52
Hello ZW

I am happy to say that AFT is EXCELLENT, you cant buy the experience they have there. The CFI Brian instructed in the forces then was a TRI in Cathay and now instructs, he also has two Martin Bell ejector seat ties. Everyone ther has vast amounts of experience in both training, flying commercially and in the RAF, it is also the RAF and Navy's reccomended school for pilots leaving to get their licences convirted. I passed through there in 2 months passing everything first time in minimum hours all thanks to their skill and expereience and it cost alot less than any of my friends in two cases almost £8000 less. They are also very relaxed with money, they dont require any payments, except deposit, until the test is completed such as CPL and IR.

I am sure where ever you decide to go will be good and you will get through quickly, best of luck!!

Chris