PDA

View Full Version : High Pressure Pure Air Generator for Sidewinder

tu chan go
6th Jan 2008, 12:43
Bit of boring topic really but I've been asked to look at this bit of kit for the Air Force that I'm working for. No names , no pack drill.
The High Pressure Pure Air Generator (HiPPAG) has been designed to replace the nitrogen bottle in the launcher for the sidewinder (amongst other things, but this is what I'm interested in). It purifies outside air to cool the seeker head
I am not after classified info, only professional opinions.
Has anyone any experience working with this bit of kit and, if so, can you reccommend it? I already have the blurb from the company and I have seen the website already, so I am looking for personal experiences. Any help gratefully received.

Jackonicko
6th Jan 2008, 13:38
Didn't they put HiPPAG in the Jag overwing launch rails?

Engines
6th Jan 2008, 14:13
Did some of the early trial with HippAG on Sea Harriers in the 1990s. It's been around a long time. Very good piece of kit, avoids having to carry around lots of nitrogen trolleys, and reduces the servicing workload if you are flying around with Sidewinders or even training rounds.

Here's a link to Ultra Electronics' site:

http://www.ultra-electronics.com/products/aircraft_vehicle/airborne_compressors.html

HiPAGGs can be retrofited to existing LAU-7A launchers, or even better, the space liberated can be used to updated LAU-7 launchers to accept a chaff dispenser - I belive Huntings used to produce one.

HiPPAGs are being used on JSF as part of a completely 'non-pyrotechnic' release system.

Hope this helps

Engines

Slotback
6th Jan 2008, 14:46
My, hasn't espionage become lazy these days.

Must be Gordon Brownski funding the Kremlin

tu chan go
6th Jan 2008, 15:09
Engines, Thanks for that. Exactly what I need.

Slotback - back in your box. the info is open source. I stated that I did not want classified stuff, just professional opinions. If you've nothing useful to add, don't post!

gaylord
6th Jan 2008, 18:19
Carried out the trials a couple of years ago. The 'blurb' that Ultra give you is correct. The high purity of gas gives improvements with 9L in a number of :)areas.

sharmine
6th Jan 2008, 22:50
I fully support ENGINES on this topic. HIPAG is a boon for Logistic Footprint reduction, a must in these days of manpower reductions. Removes the need for White Spot Nitrogen in bottles or plant, A Lau 7 bottle charging facility and the need to change or check bottles in the launchers and of course the bottles them selves which had a limited life.

Sharmine :ok:

glad rag
6th Jan 2008, 23:37
....anything that stops you unscrewing the (stuck ) adaptor on the front of the n2 bottle when you do your orss checks is a godsend.........

Bushfiva
7th Jan 2008, 07:41
Only if the info's unc, but does this mean the seeker head can be cooled indefinitely now, or have I missed the point?

tu chan go
7th Jan 2008, 13:21
Thank you, everyone, for your replies. All your help ismuch appreciated.:)