PDA

View Full Version : Converting JAR into Aussi CAA

pilotbjoern
6th Jan 2008, 12:28
Hi,

I have an JAR FCL - ATPL with more than 2500hrs of Jet experience. Medical class 1 - without any limitations.
I would like to convert my license into an australien license (ATPL).
Anyone done this? How and where to apply to convert a license.
Do you need a school - or is the authority sufficent?

Thanks
BJ

lee_apromise
6th Jan 2008, 14:59
Check CASA website. It has every information you need to know.

Just to help you out, all you need to do is just an ATPL air law exam and IREX theory and flight test.

redsnail
6th Jan 2008, 15:14
Here's the link (http://www.casa.gov.au/pilots/index.htm)

The hardest part about it all is getting the right to abode/work in Oz, if you've got that sorted, the rest is a doddle. :ok:

pilotbjoern
7th Jan 2008, 07:21
Well, sounds easy - to exams - a flighttest - thats it...
Is there a special school you could recommend to get the "transfer" theorie and practical Training?

Or is there a software like in for the FAA or JAA exams to get yourself ready for test.
Is it also a multiply choice system?

Thanks - BJ

pilotbjoern
7th Jan 2008, 09:11
Thanks for your feedback. Well - to convert it - seems not the big problem anymore - besides the 7000 US$ for all kinds of fees and training.

I read in many other threads - that "converted" licenses are not considered from may airlines in oZ. Only regional carriers with low paid jobs are more or less willing to accept you.
Major Carriers dontīt look at you - regardless of your background, if you didnīt get an oZ ATP from the scratch.

Any experience on that?

redsnail
7th Jan 2008, 14:58
This was done to prevent folks in Australia taking the short cut to the Australian ATPL by getting the US ATP and then converting it back to an Australian one.

If you've got a full JAR ATPL and some time on a jet etc, then it won't be a problem. It may pay you to check with Virgin Blue but since many of the senior guys there were working in Europe they will be familiar with the JAA exams.

QF on the other hand, couldn't care less.

WimDB
12th Jan 2008, 21:23
I think Western Australia Aviation College (Waac) in Perth has a conversion course. http://www.waaviationcollege.com.au

My goal is also to move to Auz. The problem is. Right now I work as a print machine operator, it's no problem to move to Auz and get a permanent resident visa. I have 127 points, and minimum is 120.

Now I came to a point in my life where I want to improve my life quality and get back to my first dream when I was a little boy, and that was being a pilot.

To make the story shorter: I want to be a pilot in Auz with a major company. I know they pay less there than in Europe. This week I have my medical control. If that is OK I'll start with the integrated ATPL course in april here in Belgium, and I'm getting nervous and starting to have doubt if it'll be the right choice. It's no problem to cancel the course, haven't paid nothing yet. It's not my problem.

If I ever return to Europe and keep my ATPL JAR license valid, then I have more rights to do and stand where I want.

Some help or an extra angle about my situation is more than welcome :)

redsnail
12th Jan 2008, 21:41
WimDB,

I'd research the flying situation carefully in Australia before committing. The employment situation is the best it's been for a long time "down there" but it's not the same as Europe.

It's very unusual to get an "airline job" in Oz straight out of flying school.
Most folks either instruct or head out to the Outback for some bush flying.

The minimums have come down significantly recently but you'll still need to get some hours up.

Bush flying's fantastic fun though. :ok:

WimDB
12th Jan 2008, 23:33
@ redsnail

around how many hours you can come FO with a major company?

pilotbjoern
13th Jan 2008, 09:14
Well - that would be very interesting with how many hours they usually start hiring - e.g. VB? I looked at their webpage - but there is not really anything about hour requirements.

My problem is - the decision to convert the license is not the major problem - I found out a way to do that. Cost around 8000 AU$...
But - I am not sure if they take a look at me - with "only" 2500 Jet hours...

At the VB homepage I do not fullfill the prerequisits - e.g. Permanent resident - they are mention on the web, they would consider a sponsoring of the visa on a individual bases. Well - right now I have to make a decision do I convert my license - go there for a few weeks, school, checks etc. and than - they tell me - come back with 5000 hrs...

Any ideas on that?

@ WimDB - do you not loose your permanet visa - if you quit your job in a certain time?
And as far as I found out - getting enough points with a pilot job for a visa is almost impossilble without a sponsor.

redsnail
13th Jan 2008, 13:05
WimDB,

I haven't worked in Oz for a few years now and it has changed a lot. When I was there, Ansett still existed. Now there's Qantas, Virgin Blue and National Jet Systems and a couple more.

VB want 500 hours in command of a twin before joining. Now, that's not easy or cheap to get. In general, you'll need about 1,000 hours turbine as well.

National Jet. You'll need a few thousand hours.

The regional airlines like Rex and Qantaslink have all lowered their minimums.
I believe their minimums are now 750 hours.

I'd research those companies or head over to the D&G forums.