PDA

View Full Version : Nigeria ATC

Captain Smiley
6th Jan 2008, 10:45
What is the story with ATC in Nigeria? Is there any communication between controllers?
Having to pass the same information information to each controller we speak to really clogs up an already congested frequency. Route, type, registration, souls, endurance, estimates for every reporting point.
I have a few suggestion that may improve things.
1. Pilots and controllers should stick to standard ICAO phraseology.
2. At Lagos aircraft should remain with the ground controller until receiving ATC clearance. The ground controller can handle start up requests, taxi clearances, details (souls, endurance, type, registration) and ATC clearance.
Let tower deals with aircraft landing and taking off only. Right now the only thing ground handles is start up requests and approval.
3. Lagos Approach control should hand aircraft to tower as soon as they are cleared for the approach. Sometimes it is difficult to get a word in if you haven't been switched over by short final.

freefly_rulz
6th Jan 2008, 15:46
Captain Smiley Nigeria ATC

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What is the story with ATC in Nigeria? Is there any communication between controllers?
Having to pass the same information information to each controller we speak to really clogs up an already congested frequency. Route, type, registration, souls, endurance, estimates for every reporting point.
I have a few suggestion that may improve things.
1. Pilots and controllers should stick to standard ICAO phraseology.
2. At Lagos aircraft should remain with the ground controller until receiving ATC clearance. The ground controller can handle start up requests, taxi clearances, details (souls, endurance, type, registration) and ATC clearance.
Let tower deals with aircraft landing and taking off only. Right now the only thing ground handles is start up requests and approval.
3. Lagos Approach control should hand aircraft to tower as soon as they are cleared for the approach. Sometimes it is difficult to get a word in if you haven't been switched over by short final.

Absolute best luck to you, and the NCAA to try to fix that!

I fully agree with you, and the Lagos approach idea is really wonderful, and makes alot of sense, but there is a HUGE amount of work needed to fix the ATC throughout the whole of Nigeria, but this starts with training, at the beginning of their careers, and up to this point, Nigeria still has the worst ATC of all my travels throughout Africa, by far!

I have many, many, MANY scary stories. :sad:

LongJohnThomas
6th Jan 2008, 18:32
Well, i bet the right person to address your suggestions to would be:
Capt. Ado Sanusi
Managing Director/Chief Executive
Nigerian Airspace Management Authority
Ikeja. Lagos.
He is in a position to make those changes and NOT NCAA.
My 10cents there mates.:ok:

Gooneybird
6th Jan 2008, 20:30
Communication between ATSUs.... my God most don't have phones, only their credit-less cells. Never been to Nigeria but come to expect that everywhere else. Only reason I give ATC position reports is to let the other pilots know where I am, I certainly don't expect ATC to provide separation for me. African ATC:ugh: