PDA

View Full Version : SQ A345 Route

Vibes
6th Jan 2008, 04:02
Hi Guys,

Does anyone have any idea as to which route will the SIA A345 take when they fly non-stop to Newark from Singapore?As far as I know,there's one route that is shown on website whereby the aircraft has to fly all the way up north towards the arctic ocean in a parabolic kind of flight path.Why is this so?Is it because of the fact that it is taking advantage of the jetstream?Or is it something related to the Great Circle?I really appreciate if anyone could shed any light on this.

Warmest Regards,
Vibes

vinayak
6th Jan 2008, 07:11
great circle... which other way would u have had in mind?

hamil
6th Jan 2008, 08:24
It depends ...
With favorable winds, sometimes via China, Russia, Alaska, Canada and then EWR. But it's not unusual to fly via North Pacific, well below the Polar route. Returning to SIN can be again over Canada, Alaska, etc. or via North Atlantic, Europe and west of Asia.

Rockhound
6th Jan 2008, 14:32
Vibes,
SIN-EWR is normally over the N Pacific, across Canada to the Toronto area, then on to EWR. Occasionally they take the polar route, I believe.
EWR-SIN is one of two routes: polar, which is due north from EWR to the North Pole, then Russia and China (incl. Hong Kong FIR) and on to SIN, and North Atlantic, northern Fennoscandia, Russia and on to SIN. The polar route is not used during the winter months as air temperatures in the polar region are too low and fuel freezing is a danger.
You can follow the flight path of SIA 21 and 22 in N American airspace (at least part of it) on Aeroseek.com (in combination with Google Earth). If SIA 21(EWR-SIN) heads due north from the New York area, you know it's on the polar route but the coverage normally stops somewhere over northern Quebec. If it's heading toward Boston and New Brunswick, it's doing the N Atlantic. SIA 22 (SIN-EWR) can be followed all the way from off the British Columbia and Alaska coast to EWR.
Rockhound

Vibes
6th Jan 2008, 15:12
Thanks guys,really appreciate all the comments given.If anyone has anymore info,please feel free to contribute ok ;)

Cheers,
Vibes

Round D. Globe
6th Jan 2008, 19:44
In a related note. I've paxed on that flight before, thankfully in B/C. Still @ 18+ hrs enroute, it's a long ride. But I'd do it again.

RDG

Kapitanleutnant
13th Jan 2008, 00:42
Here's what it would probably look like....

http://tinyurl.com/22c946

K

Rockhound
13th Jan 2008, 18:18
Kapitanlt,
It's not quite that simple. Remember, there are such things as airways.
Rockhound :=

Fly3
15th Jan 2008, 02:30
I have been on one of these polar flights and it really is that simple. There are no airways on the American side of the Pole and the ones on the other side do follow the great circle pretty well.