PDA

View Full Version : Need Info on CPL

hk3579
5th Jan 2008, 12:24
Hi Guys !

Would really appreciate if anyone can provide me with some info on how to go about getting my CPL ....
I have been browsing the website trying to find the school that will best fit my requirements however the more I browse the more confusing it gets ... :ugh:
Can anyone guide me with any good schools they know off ... Money is def not the question here , I dont really mind spending a little more but I need to know that i get quality training at the end of the day ...
Thanks

northloughshore
5th Jan 2008, 12:58
What are you planning to do with your Cpl? What experience do you have already? There are a lots of options out there but all depends on your needs, budget and experience

hk3579
5th Jan 2008, 20:32
well heres the weird bit ... have always aspired to be a pilot in a leading airline but couldnt do so earlier due to financial constraints ... worked as cabin crew for sometime and now have saved up enough to take the plunge ...
I know it sounds dumb but thats the closest i got to being in the cockpit and getting a idea of what the future holds for me ....
have spoken to a couple of captains but everyone seems to have their own opinion as to how should go about it ...
while some say US is the best others vouch for UK and Canada ...
Can you advise me as to which one is the best ?
Also can u advise me on as to whats the difference between schools that offer courses for 8mths or so and the ones that offers courses that last for around a year of two ??? Does it mean the difference in the duration reflects on the quality of training provided ???
I would really appreciate any info / input you could provide .... anything at all ... thanks

AlphaMale
5th Jan 2008, 21:45
while some say US is the best others vouch for UK and Canada ...
Can you advise me as to which one is the best ?

Generally, the answer is to do your training where you intend to fly.

Also can u advise me on as to whats the difference between schools that offer courses for 8mths or so and the ones that offers courses that last for around a year of two ??? Does it mean the difference in the duration reflects on the quality of training provided ???

8 Month course .... I guess that would be an integrated school like OAT (http://www.oxfordaviation.net/), FTE (http://www.flighttrainingeurope.com/), Cabair (http://www.cabair.com/) or CTC (http://www.ctcaviation.com/).

It's not the cheapest at around £70k / £80k. If you already have a PPL and the 150hrs for your CPL then you're better off going modular. If on the other hand you don't have any hours at all or a PPL then this might be the route for you. Before you ask which is best look here at The never-ending 'Modular vs. Integrated' debate (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=218620).

Good luck!

northloughshore
5th Jan 2008, 23:06
It's not silly at all, I know heaps of guys who are ex cabin crew and it certainly gave them a good insight into life as a pilot and all the objectives and problems of a commercial operation, particularly useful experience when it comes to airline selection. As for your training its a good idea to think from the point of view of the people who might be offering you a job some day. So things to bear in mind: 1) Airlines prefer to see all your training completed in one organisation. 2) Certain airlines like to see very high ground school grades especially Brirtsh airlines 3) Most airlines prefer integrated students. 4) As our friend said some airlines prefer to see you have trained in their country (not true of all airlines however). Something else I would point out is that some flight schools will go to considerable lengths to help get you a job after training, very very important and not to be overlooked! Some flight schools are globally recognised as producing good pilots. My belief is that some of the British schools are the best in the world, Oxford, Cabair etc. I'm not saying I done it the best way but I certainly have no regrets.... I had a ppl and about 100 hours experience in Uk and African airspace I then decided to go on the integrated course at Oxford. It was expensive but here's what I got. I got lots of help through ground school with excellent lecturers resulting in very good grades like the rest of my class, then a high standard of training throughout resulting in first attempt passes in all flying tests (cpl ir etc) A solid foundation in jet operation in the mcc and jot courses and then lots of help when it came to getting a job. Obviously I worked very hard and at times it wasnt easy but I'm certain it was worth the money. I know Oxford isnt the only school offering a very high standard of training both on the ground and in the air but its the only one I have first hand experience of.
Others might disagree but I say if you have the money get on a UK integrated course, they are well structured all you have to do is turn up and work hard from start to finish. If you dont have the money of course then go modular but do stick to the same School.