PDA

View Full Version : An accident-free 2007 in Nigeria

Capt. Manuvar
5th Jan 2008, 11:36
Hello guys,
2007 was a good year for Nigerian commercial aviation (statistically), no fatal accidents or hull losses (except for those hulls being hacked to pieces near the cargo ramp:} ). There was one Nigerian navy Agusta 109 crash by in Owerri (Three officers lost their lives - RIP). It was also a good year worldwide, lowest number of accidents in the last 40 years. I'm sure we all had a few hairy moments in 2007.
I hope we don't get complacent in 2008, the airspace is getting busier and the economy is growing.
Personally, I would like to see stricter adherance to SOPs, regulations and a greater acceptance of CRM. We are experiencing an influx of aircraft especially regional jets and the experience levels on both seats will gradually reduce. Its high time we got rid of old attitudes and old ways of flying.
Any thoughts

JABAG
5th Jan 2008, 18:19
We thank the Good Lord for 2007. But dont get complacent.

CRM is good, I see a few airlines carrying it out, however I think we are just ticking the box. We still have a few Capts out there that have not changed.
Experience level is dropping, not just in Naija but arround the world. The days of pilots having cut their teeth flying twotters in the bush and gaining larg amounts of experience is gone.
Now we have pilots flying the FMS in crowded airspace, with little experience flying with the elememnts. It's growing pains, but we do need to be carefull.

MamaPut
5th Jan 2008, 18:28
There was also a fatal helicopter accident at Qua Ibo Terminal

Capt. Manuvar
5th Jan 2008, 20:35
Mamaput,
My sincere apologies. Have you rotorheads figured out what caused that crash? Unfortunately we do not have access to comprehensive accident reports in Nigeria. It will be nice to the most common contributing factors to accidents in Nigeria.

JABAG,
I agree that CRM has not taken root in Nigeria. Its really sad as everybody does CRM as its now an NCAA requirement.

It will be nice to know the CRM acceptance and SOP adherence at the 3 major players: Aero, Arik and VK. Could pilots from these airlines please comment? I would also like an insight from the rotor guys, you guys seem better organised.

MamaPut
6th Jan 2008, 11:32
Capt M

On the rotary wing side, both CHC and Bristow rotary do an initial CRM course for all pilots, followed by a 2 yearly refresher courses. CRM is also one of the points assessed on the LOFT exercise during annual recurrent simulator training. Additionally in Bristow all Line Training Captains are required to do a CRM Instructor course before they can carry out line training and all managers are sent on CRM courses.

Capt. Manuvar
7th Jan 2008, 15:25
The Bristow idea is a good idea. I believe that all line training captains should be CRMIs. The problem in Nigeria, where it exists, integrating CRM into the cockpit.