PDA

View Full Version : Aussie visiting SA

divcom
5th Jan 2008, 11:06
Hi all

This is my first time posting, I am an Aussie Ag / Firebombing pilot and am coming to SA in April 2008 for 3 weeks. My trip is mainly a family holiday (wife's family from Queenstown/East London/cape Town), but I would like to do a bit of aviation "sightseeing" while there. Can anyone suggest operators that might be worth a look at. We are travelling through Jo'burg, East London, Cape Town & finishing up in Pilansberg area.

I would appreciate any ideas on places to visit. Am also interested in the warbird scene.

Many Thanks

divcom

Solid Rust Twotter
5th Jan 2008, 11:28
Try http://www.theharvardclub.co.za/ as well as a sniff around the Museum of Military History in JNB and the Air Force Museum at Zwartkop in Pretoria and Ysterplaat in Cape Town.

Flightsimman
7th Jan 2008, 12:41
Hi mate,

I am an Aussie too and have recently been in South Africa on company business.

If you are able to get to Lanseria Airport in Johannesburg, you might see some wonderful old aircraft there.

I took numerous pictures of some classic aircraft (very nice airport)!

olirindis
7th Jan 2008, 17:13
Hi there Bud,

When in East London ask for Dave Hart at EL air services, they need crew.
Have fun....

divcom
9th Jan 2008, 09:07
Thanks for the replies guys, they are a big help. Orilindis, I looked up EL Air Services on the web, will definitely call in & say hi when I go through. Solid Rust Twotter, thanks for the great tips, will be calling in at Ysterplaat if time permits. Flightsimman, I have a while to kill in Jo'burg so might take your advice there

Anyone got any "must see's" while in SA for a first timer? I am also a farmer and am interested in all thing ag.

Look forward to meeting a few of you while there. (I won't discuss the cricket if you don't discuss rugby).

divcom

Contract Dog
10th Jan 2008, 10:02
Divcom, if you are in Cape town, look up thunder city, for the GDP of a small African country you can go for a flip in and old fighter jet, think its a buchaneer or a lightning? failing that, 43 airschool 1hr drive south of east london does aerobatic training on a Yak 52 (think you may have to book well in advance though)

Dog

lostINgp
12th Jan 2008, 07:32
Rand Airport got them all

clasique aviation for tiger moth pitts etc

011 827 4155

AT502B
14th Jan 2008, 21:15
Check out Orsmond Aviation in Bethlehem (Free State), one of the largest ag-aviation and S.E.A.T. fire bomber operators in the world.

RobinB
15th Jan 2008, 13:31
Anyone got any "must see's" while in SA for a first timer? I am also a farmer and am interested in all thing ag.

Strewth mate, an yer sheilah is from Queenstown - bloody hell mate, Merino's for Africa in and around there, you will be spoilt for choice. :eek:

Just a bit of trivia as my family (wool farmers !) origionate from that beautiful part of the Eastern Cape as well and your mention of cricket - family of wool farmers in the Hofmeyr district (near Queenstown) are decendants of the Lord family a-la Lord's "the home of cricket".

Rugby, you play rugby in Oz ? Oh yes, used to be coached by one Eddie Jones ;)

james ozzie
15th Jan 2008, 18:42
An Aussie sheep farmer is visiting the Queenstown district - meets a local sheep farmer. The Queenstown boykie proudly announces that he runs the biggest herd in the district and he has over 3,000 head. Says the Aussie: "Oh really? So what are their names?"
And back to the thread...

RobinB
16th Jan 2008, 09:51
"Oh really? So what are their names?"

Baaabara and Ewegenie and .....

divcom
17th Jan 2008, 05:06
I think you blokes have got me confused with a kiwi...... you know, that small south pacific minnow who used to play rugby

airmuster
17th Jan 2008, 05:43
Watch out for the Giraffes........ nasty beasts....... ate our grass hut whilst we twas asleep they did....... then it bucketed down (rain that is)
I say again, watch out for the giraffes...............