PDA

View Full Version : Telescopic Helicopter Hangar

Schiller
4th Jan 2008, 15:20
On ships etc I've seen a hangar for a helicopter that is telescopic; ie pulls out to cover the machine.
Can anyone direct me to whomever makes these?

mtoroshanga
4th Jan 2008, 17:20
I had one of these when working in Greenland in 1971/72.
We were on an ex Canadian Coastguard vessel that must have been about fifteen years old then. Suggest procurement for Canadian Forces would have a supplier.

RotorDompteur
4th Jan 2008, 19:19
We have used for several years. Also for a shipborne operation and also in Geenland.
But our is purely home designed and home made...

RD

Senior Pilot
4th Jan 2008, 20:14
Schiller,

Curtiss Wright Engineered Systems. (http://www.indaltech.com/Products/SpecializedStructures/tabid/67/Default.aspx)

Telescopic Helicopter Hangars
Curtiss-Wright Controls, Engineered Systems - Marine Defense is the world’s largest supplier of telescopic shipboard helicopter hangars, as well as the highly specialized doors that these hangars require.

Maximizing space and minimizing top weight aboard naval vessels is a priority, and CWCES-MD’s expandable hangars precisely address this challenge. In addition to providing lightweight, space-saving security for aircraft between missions, CWCES-MD’s patented telescopic hangars can be designed for a low radar cross section (RLS). Unique configurations and rugged aluminum alloy construction provide maximum protection, enabling these hangars to withstand severe shock waves and blast overpressures.

The CWCES-MD telescopic helicopter hangar design comprises one or more coaxial sections retracting within a fixed section. The extended length, retracted length, minimum headroom and clear door opening are sized to suit the specified helicopter to be operated on-board the ship, and the overall deck space available for launch and recovery.

Over the past 25 years, CWCES-MD has supplied more than 200 telescopic hangars to navies around the world.

http://www.indaltech.com/Portals/0/Images/Structures/structures_6.jpg

Flying Signman
4th Jan 2008, 20:33
Looks like an expensive option!

Without knowing your situation, have you thought of a motorised pad on rails, that then moves back into a static hangar?

I saw this once at a house in Leicester and was well impressed.

Just tried a google search with no joy - so guess it was engineered specially. Not too big a job with some rail, steel fabrication and a few electric motors.:)

Brilliant Stuff
5th Jan 2008, 13:12
You mean those motorised pads like most German Air Ambulance bases use?

Bravo73
5th Jan 2008, 14:13
I saw this once at a house in Leicester and was well impressed.

If I'm thinking about the same guy (AS355N?), then he made his money in automated warehousing systems. eg trolleys that are programmed to move around the warehouse on their own.

I think that his pad is just a variation on this. :ok:

Flying Signman
6th Jan 2008, 20:23
Yes, that sounds like the guy.

It was on a TV programme a few years back also showing how environmentally friendly his house was.

Wind turbines and Solar power etc... etc....

Peter-RB
7th Jan 2008, 09:03
Schiller,

Anything is possible it depend on how much you wish or want or can spend on such a structure,
Options:-

Full time Structural Hanger, if peak(Apex) of roof kept below 5 mtrs then no PP required over 5mtr then Full PP needed, this would cost you approx £25 to £45 per sq foot (footprint) depending on what you wanted

If you have an existing building you could go for a PVC/Canvas expanding (incl Roof) add on loading bay, no restrictions via PP for this is a temporary structure, these are large enough to house full time full size Artic and trailers so would cover most Helis, cost here would again depend on footprint but would range from say £12k upwards size and height being the controller all you need is a dead flat concrete surface.

I have built full time portal frame hangers and provided soft skinned ones, it really does depend on what you want, and are prepared to spend.

Peter R-B:ok:
Vfrpilotpb

500e
7th Jan 2008, 10:06
They make carts :suspect:
It will give you some ideas
what helio do you want to hanger?
www.laitlatool.com/ (http://www.laitlatool.com/)

Schiller
7th Jan 2008, 14:50
Thanks for your help everyone. I'm looking for a hangar for the back of a super-yacht; this has given me one or two leads.

500e
7th Jan 2008, 20:10
And we thought you were worried about cost :D