PDA

View Full Version : The best approach to becoming an airline pilot

adamperl
4th Jan 2008, 03:29
I am a 28yo Australian professional with no flying experience (a few hours only) who is seriously thinking about pursuing a career in flying. My goal would be to work for a major airline. I would greatly appreciate any thoughts on how to go about obtaining my qualifications - as I have been working I have saved a bit of $ so could afford to train full time for a year. I am wondering what the best route to an airline job is starting from scratch and the reasons why... thanks in advance!

redsnail
4th Jan 2008, 08:47
Which country do you see yourself working in?
If it's Australia, then you'll get more specific info in the Dununda forums.

If it's Asia, probably an ATPL will do. Likewise the Middle East. (And a lot of experience on t/props and bigger)

USA and Europe will need specific residency rights before you can contemplate their licences.

If you want to work for a major airline in Oz then I'd start by looking at the QF cadet scheme. There are others but I think you'd agree that QF is probably the biggest airline in Oz. Virgin Blue doesn't have a cadet scheme and they take people on who've come through the "traditional" route. (ie CPL-instructing time and or bush flying time- small regional turboprop - etc).

Note, there is now a shortage of experienced pilots in Australia. The minimums for the regional airlines have fallen significantly. If they upped the pay, there'd be no shortage. Apparently management haven't figured that one out yet.

ksa5223
5th Jan 2008, 10:53
not meaning to hijack, finishing CPL soon...

i am willing to go anywhere is the world for a job on a jet!

Where do you find an overseas job?

Where in the world is the easiest airline to get into on any sort of jet?

adamperl
6th Jan 2008, 03:07
Thanks for the input - I intend to work/fly in Australia and thus was thinking about qualifying there. Will check out that site...