PDA

View Full Version : Anyone convert directly fom ICAO ATPL to JAA ATP w/ distance learning?

Airline Pirate
3rd Jan 2008, 21:41
Under JAA regs, ICAO ATPL holders are exempted from groundschool requirements for the JAA. In simple terms, this means your only have to write the 14 exams and get your CAT 1 medical.....
My question comes as I haven't received my books through the mail yet (any day though) and am wondering if anyone has has taken this path can give me a ballpark on how long it took them to study before going over to write the tests....
I still have a job to go to, and it will be too busy to try and do this at the beginning of summer so I have to already look at booking some time off to get this done in the next 2-3 months....
I am fresh off writing my Canadian ATPL's so I wouldnt say my existing knowledge base is that rusty...
Many thanks,
AP

DJRC
3rd Jan 2008, 23:14
I know if you do this full time in the U.K it takes around 7 months, but I guess it depends on your own learning pace. Have you looked into the other requirements? I believe you have to convert your IFR as well, I'm kinda looking into the same thing as I am training in Canada but may have to convert at the end if the jobs are not on this side of the pond.

Airline Pirate
6th Jan 2008, 18:27
Thanks guys, much appreciated!

MarkMcC
22nd Jan 2008, 04:08
Did the exams last fall...

Used the Oxford books, and self studied for all 14. Don't rely on your Canadian Theory...the JAA stuff is much more in depth. I'd say that three months of dedicated self study can do it, but I'm talking every day. With 14 exams that means learning about one course a week and retaining it through to the exam day.

The exams are some of the more difficult that I've written (and I've done more than a few...). I tried all 14 in one shot and got 13 of them. In retrospect I'd do 7 in a sitting.

Drop me a PM if you have any specific questions.

Good luck!

Airline Pirate
13th Feb 2008, 19:46
Thanks for all the comments guys!

I have received all my books and have access to the aviationexam.com test bank.

Started looking through some test exams to determine how much of my Canadian ATPL knowledge base is applicable to the JAA ATPL exams...

Quick question for those with JAA ATPL writing experience; I have heard that there is a specific system for tackling these exams. I believe it was an OAT student who was mentioning something about studying by dividing the 14 exams into two block of 8 and 6 respectively.

Otherwise, have people found that studying for certain grouping of exams at the same time worked better than other methods?

The other question I had was the definition of an exam sitting.

From what I have been told, 1 exam sitting= 6 consecutive calender days.

Is this correct, or does it vary country be country in the JAA states?

My situation is complicated further as I have a flying job in CANADA, but I can squeeze in one or two trips to write my exams in Europe.

Cheers

AP

runway067
4th Jan 2009, 08:16
hey man))) you can do that but first consult JAR-FCL, they got some explanations for this. Some of it: have current class1 medical, 1500 on multicrew aircraft, 500 of which on the aircraft sertified under JAR and so on. My advice is that you contact directly Aviation Authority of the country you are going to sit for exams in rather than flight training organisation. I personally don't have time to attend courses so I enrolled with Irish Aviation Authority for direct entry for ATPL exams. Good luck