PDA

View Full Version : Simulator flight time question

i-Robot
3rd Jan 2008, 19:08
Does anyone know if giving instruction in a simulator (zero flight time sim) counts towards "flight instruction" time for upgrading from a grade 3 to a grade 2 licence.

Bit of confusion going around.

Any info will help...thanks.

TermightJim
4th Jan 2008, 12:20
Ja, its 200hrs "ab-initio' instruction excluding cross country time. It all depends how the CAA define "ab-initio". As far as I recall, there is no definition. Its is only generally accepted to be PPL instruction.

I do agree that logging sim time towards a grade two cant be done. Especially when the sim is "Microsoft Flight Simulator 2002"

Avi8tor
5th Jan 2008, 17:16
hmmm.... silly question. But you can only sign out people on an aircraft of 1600kgs and less as a GrIII anyway. So what 'zero flight time' sim instruction would u be doing anyway?

i-Robot
7th Jan 2008, 17:30
But you can only sign out people on an aircraft of 1600kgs and less as a GrIII anyway

Yes, only for signing out a skills test report for a type rating (2700 kg or less). But a Gr3 is entitled to give instruction on any a/c that he/she is type rated on. Which means a holder of a Gr3 can give instruction on a B744 if need be. Read part 61.

The reason for my question is because the wording of the new part 61 has changed from "elementary flight instruction" to simply "flight instruction". So route training (cross country) and simulator instruction is considered "flight instruction", right?.

Also...wrt simulators. ATPL tests are routinely conducted in zero flight time simulators.

Any DE's out there with an opinion?

Avi8tor
8th Jan 2008, 02:43
Then I stand corrected.

Been out of the loop since Part 61. Could anybody PM me if they have an electronic copy of part 61.

DropTheDunlops
8th Jan 2008, 04:59
Avi8tor: Then I stand corrected.

Been out of the loop since Part 61. Could anybody PM me if they have an electronic copy of part 61.

If you check the CAA website (www.caa.co.za (http://www.caa.co.za)) you are able to download the different subparts of Part 61.

Avi8tor
8th Jan 2008, 13:57
Yeah, tried the CAA website, but thats no good, I want the AIRCREW licensing part. FE's and CA's dont help.

Used to be able to access ALL CATS and CARS, but some brain surgeon has removed it. Maybe TAJ needs a call.

DropTheDunlops
8th Jan 2008, 14:53
Aviator,

The Part 61 document is on the home page of the CAA website. The page is sort of divided into 2 columns. If you look at the right hand column under Part 61 for comment and click on the "view full document" you should find all the subparts of Part 61. They are the CARS, CATS and Appendices to each subpart.

If you ask me, the law has now become extremely painfull and very limiting!!

Avi8tor
9th Jan 2008, 03:27
Ah...yes, found it. Was looking under ACTS and REGS where all the stuff used to be!!!

If you ask me, the law has now become extremely painfull and very limiting
Welcome to the world of JAR.

But a Gr3 is entitled to give instruction on any a/c that he/she is type rated on. Which means a holder of a Gr3 can give instruction on a B744 if need be. Read part 61.

As per Part 61:-
Privileges and limitations of a Grade III aeroplane flight instructor rating
61.16.6 (1) A person may only hold a type rating as instructor in respect of
aeroplanes for which he or she holds the corresponding type rating as pilot,
issued in terms of this Sub-part, provided that the rating shall be restricted to
single-engine, piston class up to 1 600 kg MCM.

Sorry, orginal statement stands. I hate being right all the time...:} So I think your original question is answered.

P.S. Just reread my original post, did seem a bit snotty, sorry I-R, not meant to be so.