PDA

View Full Version : Oxford Aviation Open Day

VFR Transit
3rd Jan 2008, 09:49
Now looking at which Flight Training Est to enrol on and noticed Oxford Aviaion offer an open day. Can anyone who has been on one of Oxfords Open Day advise me on what is covered.

Thanks
VFR

captain_rossco
3rd Jan 2008, 10:52
Sure, the classrooms and sim blocks are covered, fairly new buildings with corrugated alloy roofing. The Accomodation blocks are also covered, flat tar rooves with skylights where needed. The Restaurant is covered also, with slightly slanted roof to allow sufficient run-off in those winter months. However, the smokers area is not covered, possibly due to the July 31st public places ruling.

Me thinks it'll be a general show around, with a chance to ask questions etc. Will be a good op to get to meet the staff etc too.

Regards

CR

:ok:

Philpaz
3rd Jan 2008, 12:53
Starts with a big sales pitch upstairs, then your split in to groups. You see the a/c, sims (inc 737), classrooms followed by tea in the canteen with a chance to chat with the students.
Impressive set up definately, worth the money? Who knows, methinks all routes lead to fATPL and only you can get the job.

Phil

dartagnan
4th Jan 2008, 10:20
can you ask if the toilet paper is pink with some small B737 designs, cuz i enroll only where it's pink!

bluepeely
4th Jan 2008, 10:41
Nice roofs....pink paper.....Sign me and me 60k up please, i'm in:}

Finals19
4th Jan 2008, 14:55
Big hint:

Look beyond the uniforms, the Starbucks Cafe, the sims and the modern buildings and classrooms and understand that ultimately its YOU that will earn yourself your ATPL - all the equipment and funky gear / image that Oxford projects won't help you one bit if you're not prepared to put in the work.

The real question you should ask is "will this environment allow me to complete the ATPL in a way that I find most beneficial and that I am comfortable in?"

You could arguably complete the ATPL study side of it in your back garden shed if you were committed enough and 200% made best use of your available resources. OAT allows a VERY rigid and structured framework for you to study in, which takes the self discipline element largely out of the equation. At 60K for the basic course, it should at least do that!

Lastly, OAT might offer you a very slight advantage with the major airlines who tend to source newbies from them. Don't over-estimate how marginal that advantage may be though!

captain_rossco
4th Jan 2008, 15:19
I second the above with regards to the structure of the course, it's tough. My suggestion would be if the fininaces allow, there really is no contest, several people have counterparts at other flight schools and their gripes seem a little more frequent.

Regards

CR

:ok: