PDA

View Full Version : Film, video or pictures from inside SR71 in flight

tartare
3rd Jan 2008, 06:11
Esteemed gentlemen,
I've been seraching for a while now for some shots from inside the SR71 while in flight.
While photos taken by U2 pilots in flight both of themselves and looking out the windown are freely available, there seems to be no de-classified film, video or photos in the public domain taken by either a Blackbrid pilot or RSO.
Is that because of:
-the very cramped workspace while wearing a full pressure suit?
-intense nature of the mission i.e. pilot has to keep a very close hand on what was an extremely `fussy' aircraft to fly? (I seem to remember reading somewhere that correct AOA in the cruise could not vary by any more than +/- 3 degrees)
-classified equipment clearly visible... at least from the RSO position?
Any ex-sled drivers able to shed some light on this... or even better, point me to some in flight piccies from inside the Habu?

Ewan Whosearmy
3rd Jan 2008, 09:25
Have you tried filing a FOIA with the US DoD?

Ewan Whosearmy
3rd Jan 2008, 09:27
Oh, and Brian Schul would be the guy to track down. His two SR books contain lots of in-cockpit photos he took himself.

tartare
3rd Jan 2008, 22:04
The FOIA suggestion is a very good one... tks.
Have seen Mr Schuls books referred to... but shuddered at the price tag!

Heimdall
4th Jan 2008, 06:41
There's lots of photos taken from inside a SR-71, but because of the fairly cramped conditions they tend to either show the pilot/RSO or just peer over the side. Visit some of the many websites dedicated to the SR-71 and you'll find what your looking for.

Here's one looking out the cockpit window at 80,000ft:

http://www.spyflight.co.uk/logos/b8.jpg
Heimdall