PDA

View Full Version : Part Time (weekends/evenings) ME-IR in UK

Simon150
2nd Jan 2008, 15:23
Hi,

Having recently completed by SE-CPL in the US, I am looking for a school that can offer a part-time ME-IR course.

So far I have spoken to Stapleford and Bonus (Cranfield) who both offer ME-IR courses at the weekend, but being based in Derby, I was hoping to find something a little closer.

I would appriciate it if anybody could suggest an alternatives? I realise that schools that offer this are few and far between, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Thanks all and happy new year.

Simon

AlphaMale
2nd Jan 2008, 17:05
First of all congratulations of passing your CPL :D

If you're based in Derby I'd imagine Atlantic Flight Training will be quite close to you as their based in Coventry. See more here (http://www.atlanticflighttraining.com/contentok.php?id=222) about their MEIR in a DA42.

Where did you gain your CPL to if you don't mind me asking?

Simon150
2nd Jan 2008, 19:11
Thanks, I will contact Atlantic about part-time training, but as I recall (I did the rounds about a year ago half way through ATPLs) they only offered full-time courses at the time. Maybe they offer part-time now?

By the way, do you know if the entire flight time requirements for the twin rating need to be satisfied before the start of the 50h IR, or can it be wrapped up into the IR in some way to reduce the overall hours?

I did the CPL with Ormond Beach.

AlphaMale
2nd Jan 2008, 23:47
Thanks, as I recall they only offered full-time courses at the time. Maybe they offer part-time now?

I'm sorry but I don't have the answer to that one. A lot of people have been there and I've heard nothing but good things, it's not within commuting distance for me to attend there so I've not done that much research. (You think the midlands is bad for schools - try South Wales).

Do you know if the entire flight time requirements for the twin rating need to be satisfied before the start of the 50h IR, or can it be wrapped up into the IR in some way to reduce the overall hours?

I'm sure they can do something to help you or cut the costs down a little, best give them a ring/e-mail and get it straight from the horses mouth.

I did the CPL with Ormond Beach.

Being a holder of a CPL I guess everything went to plan for you? £3k for a CPL does look pretty tempting! (Trying to do achieve a fATPL debt free isn't easy but it has given me time to plan/research).

Don't be put off by the DA42 at AFT either, rumor has it if you pass a MEIR in a '42 it's restricted - This is bull. I'll be looking for a school operating a '42 to do my MEIR as I think it'll be an advantage and the glass cockpit experience should come in handy too.

G SXTY
3rd Jan 2008, 10:46
Just a word of caution if you're planning to do the ME IR part-time. I'm sure it can be done, but on my full-time IR, most of us felt pretty rusty on Monday mornings - after just two days out of the saddle. And I certainly could not have managed working at the same time, the flying was just too intense and demanding.

I'd suggest planning for significantly more than the 50 hours if you're going part-time. Good luck! :ok:

Simon150
3rd Jan 2008, 16:07
Thanks, thats a pretty interesting point.

Its not possible (not really) for me to take sufficient time off to do the course full time, although that is of course what I would like to do in the interests in getting the rating as soon as possible, however, I believe that the part-time course suits me better (and would probably result in me getting the rating with fewer hours).

There has been much discussion about full-time vs. part time. I have been told in the past that the CPL needs to be done full-time whereas the IR can be done part-time, due to the type of flying involved etc. I have also been told exactly the opposite, in all cases by people who have completed the subject courses.

Having just completed the CPL full time, I can say with confidence that although I managed to scrape through in minimum hourse, I would have faired much better having had more time between lessons to reflect on what had been learned, and 'mentally' practice the procedures etc. Control of the aircraft, be it visual, full panel or partial has never really presented a problem to me......my biggest weakness by far is my memory....trying to remember procedures and processes etc. I know from experience that a number of days between lessons works well for me. The part-time course worked well for me for the PPL, which I managed to complete in minimum hours as well as the inital stages of the IMC rating (which I never finished).

Speaking to others on this subject, I know that this does not work for everybody, and the intensive course certainly seems to work well for most people, but I guess everybody is different.

I may end up having to do the IR full-time if nowhere can support my wish to study part-time, but I am sure that my job and finances will suffer, so its not something I really want to do.

Thanks for the heads-up, I don't want to sound like I don't appreciate the comment but I sincerely feel that the part-time approach suits me better. It must just take me longer to absorb the info from the lessons that most people.

Simon