PDA

View Full Version : Spoilers and Jet Upset

YHZ Pilot
1st Jan 2008, 23:17
A few more questions:

1. Regarding spoilers. Do they have any limitations? What is spoiler blowback?

2. What is jet upset and how do you recover?

Thanks for the info.

YHZ Pilot

flyboyike
2nd Jan 2008, 02:44
With regards to your first question, what specific aircraft are you interested in?

As for your second one, you know how Airbuses start calling you names at about 20' AGL? That's a jet that's upset at you.

dkaarma
2nd Jan 2008, 03:15
lol...

You can't win.. Boeing's tell you to 'don't think' and airbuses call you a retard...

AtoBsafely
2nd Jan 2008, 05:10
YHZ,

Spoiler limitations: The B744 does not recommend using spoilers with greater than flaps 10 or 20 (depending on manufacture/mod status) due to the spoiler turbulence causing cracking in the flap tracks. At the higher flap settings, there already is a lot of stress on the flap assembly (AFM note not to use for extended periods), and spoilers add extra stress to the system. Also, after flap 20 extra drag is available with gear down. If you did select flap >20 plus gear plus spoiler you would virtually fall out of the sky and potentially kiss the earth with a hard smack (as well as cracking flap tracks).

"Jet upset" is basically an "unusual attitude", but especially one at a high altitude (where there is little thrust margin, and little margin between high and low speed buffet). It can be caused by thunderstorms/CAT, autopilot/trim malfunction etc. Recovery is standard. Oh, just keep in mind that underslung jets tend to pitch you up when you add thrust and vice versa.

YHZ Pilot
2nd Jan 2008, 14:57
Thanks AtoBsafely! I really appreciate the info.

YHZ Pilot

Bolty McBolt
3rd Jan 2008, 03:30
Spoiler limitations: The B744 does not recommend using spoilers with greater than flaps 10 or 20 (depending on manufacture/mod status) due to the spoiler turbulence causing cracking in the flap tracks. At the higher flap settings, there already is a lot of stress on the flap assembly (AFM note not to use for extended periods), and spoilers add extra stress to the system. Also, after flap 20 extra drag is available with gear down. If you did select flap >20 plus gear plus spoiler you would virtually fall out of the sky and potentially kiss the earth with a hard smack (as well as cracking flap tracks).

Spoiler or Speed brakes?

744 Spoilers go up and down as the result of a control wheel input and has no bearing on flap position. From memory 744 have a "blow down" valve in the spoiler actuator that lets the spoiler be pushed down from air loads should the pressure inside the actuator exceeds 4000 psi.

Speed brakes on the 744 do operate differently depending on the aircraft config and may have limitations in flight but I would not know as I only fix them......

Flight Detent
4th Jan 2008, 10:25
I always thought it was bad form to use speedbrakes with any flap selected on any Boeing type, thus the norm of using the gear if one is in that situation!

Yes, yes, I am aware that the spoilers are used as roll augmentation as a normal part of flight control, but independent of this intentional speedbrake selection.

And yes, spoiler blow-down at high speed is the norm also.

Cheers, FD :\

AtoBsafely
4th Jan 2008, 17:00
Bolty,

You are correct. Please forgive my lax terminology.

glhcarl
4th Jan 2008, 18:24
YHZ Pilot;

In response to you question on spoiler blowback: There is a speed that if the spoilers/speedbrakes were to be deployed the amount of hydraulic pressure is not great enouth to allow full panel deployment. This point called "blowdown" is not the same for all aircraft and not even the same for all the spoilers/speedbrakes an the same aircraft, as the panels very in size as do the size of the actuators/pistons.

Pilot Pete
4th Jan 2008, 18:26
I always thought it was bad form to use speedbrakes with any flap selected on any Boeing type, thus the norm of using the gear if one is in that situation! 'Bad form' in your opinion maybe, but not against the FCTM on certain types at certain flap settings.;)

PP

PA38-Pilot
4th Jan 2008, 20:19
You can't win.. Boeing's tell you to 'don't think' and airbuses call you a retard...

It probably is a conspiracy between Airbus and Boeing to tell us we should let the computer fly the aircraft... because, in their own words, we shouldn't think, because we are retarded... :}

nugpot
5th Jan 2008, 14:41
On the CRJ, there are four sets of spoiler panels, named from the inside out:
2 sets Ground Spoilers (Lift Dumpers)
Flight Spoilers (Speed Brakes)
Spoilerons

All four sets deploy on landing, but only the outer 2 sets are active in the air. Use of the word speedbrake is discouraged and "Flight Spoilers (FS)" encouraged.

Only limitation for FS use is Vref+17 kts and they have to be stowed by 300' AGL on approach. Blowback is a function of speed and hyd pressure and you can normally see about 5 degrees less than full (50 degrees) at 300KIAS with full FS selected. As speed bleeds off below 280KIAS, the FS indication is at full.

liteswap
12th Mar 2008, 18:58
Thanks for the explanation. Can I assume that flight spoilers are activated automatically, as I often see them operate during turns, even very shortly after TO when we can't be much more than 1000 feet up?

411A
13th Mar 2008, 04:14
Can I assume that flight spoilers are activated automatically, as I often see them operate during turns, even very shortly after TO when we can't be much more than 1000 feet up?

Yes, since the early days of the B707.
Roll Augmentation, with most jet aircraft, flaps retracted or extended...except for the L1011, with this aircraft spoiler roll augmentation is applicable with flaps extended only. With flaps fully retracted on the L1011, both inboard and outboard ailerons are active, no spoiler roll augmentation.

Harry Cane
13th Mar 2008, 08:31
YHZ Pilot

To have better info about Jet Upset try this link http://www.smartcockpit.com/pdf/flightops/flyingtechnique/4

Bye
H. C