PDA

View Full Version : Pension Injustice

Clockwork Mouse
1st Jan 2008, 13:51
Richard Perkins, a former Chindit, is a near neighbour of mine and a lovely man. Those of you who care about the way our veterans are callously and cynically betrayed by our government may wish to support Richard's petition to Downing Street on behalf of others like him. This has unfortunately not attracted the publicity it deserves and so far there are only 20 signatures. I would be grateful if any of you who share my concern would add their signatures before the deadline in February. The link below leads (I hope) to his website:
http://www.mod-pensioninjustice.co.uk/
and petition:
http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/modinjustice/#detail

The following article by Mike Smith from the Times On Line summarises the situation.
The Cheap and Tawdry Way Our Veterans are Treated
One line stood out for me in our report today on the potential increases facing soldiers for the insurance they have to take out when they serve on operations abroad. They have to buy the insurance to make up for the inadequacy of the MoD's own compensation scheme. The premiums could be effectively doubled for many soldiers from January 1st to provide adequate cover for soldiers and their families in the event of their being severely injured or killed. But in its own way, it was just as shocking to learn that soldiers going to war have to insure their own kit. If they lose it in combat, it seems, they have to recompense the army for the cost and then claim it back from the insurance policy. How petty and parsimonious can the MoD bean-counters be? No don't answer it we know...
As we watch our wounded soldiers having to fight for adequate compensation after putting their lives at risk for their country, let's not assume that the public outcry and the media coverage will ensure they get treated better. Richard Leigh Perkins was a Chindit during the Second World War. He was medically discharged from the army in 1959. He should have received his pension tax-free, but like many thousands of others was wrongly taxed for years.
The problem was uncovered by John Perry, another former army officer, in the late 1990s. Perry was initially dismissed as a crackpot who didn't know what he was talking about by the civil servants charged with ensuring our troops are treated properly after they leave the forces. Eventually they accepted he was right and Tony Blair even stood up in parliament and apologised for the way the veterans had been treated. (Some would say getting an apology out of Tony Blair was an achievement in itself.)
The government said that all those affected - or in some cases, since many had died, their next-of-kin - would be fully recompensed, not just by a refund of their tax but also with compensation to make up for the interest that would have accrued had they had the money the Treasury had wrongly taken from them.
Which brings us back to our former Chindit Richard Leigh Perkins. Like tens of thousands of others, he applied for the money he was due. The MoD claimed he had not been pensioned out of the services on the grounds of disablement. Read his discharge papers here and try to work out how they managed that one!
When an appeals tribunal ruled, in 2001, as any sensible person reading those discharge papers would, that there didn't seem to be any doubt that he had indeed been disabled out, the MoD agreed - after a good deal of prevaricating - to pay back his tax. BUT, and if you thought they were trying it on with the discharge papers, you wont believe this one! The MoD agreed to pay him only the tax he had paid since the 2001 appeals tribunal ruling.
They obviously thought that Perkins, then 83, was getting on a bit and would be grateful for small mercies, or to put it another way - they were quite scandalously hoping to save a bit of cash by trying it on with someone who had bravely served his country. They obviously hadn't read any books about the Chindits and their determined battles with the Japanese. Perkins was not ready to lay down and concede defeat and eventually the MoD agreed he should be refunded his tax back to 1959, when he actually left the army. But they have still not fulfilled the promise made by the government that he should be compensated for the interest he would have earned if he had the money steadily going into his bank account for the past 48 years, as of course he should have been. He is now 89. Still fighting, and hopefully will win his battle before he dies, although that of course cannot be guaranteed.
So don't be surprised if the boys who have suffered debilitating injuries in Iraq and Afghanistan are still fighting to get properly compensated in 50 years time. The case of Richard Leigh Perkins shows there is no end to the cheap and tawdry way in which civil servants are prepared to treat our veterans.

airwaverider
1st Jan 2008, 14:07
signed........:D

rata2e
1st Jan 2008, 14:35
How can these idiots sleep at night?

liedtoagain
1st Jan 2008, 16:34
Signed.

Come on everyone, get behind this. It could be you one day or worse, your families!!!!!

HILF
1st Jan 2008, 16:42
My name duly appended - definately a cause worth supporting.

HILF

:D:D

m3181
1st Jan 2008, 17:32
signed ....

ambidextrous
1st Jan 2008, 18:02
Done,
And whilst I'm on line perhaps all you gentlemen will lend your support, if you haven't done so already to the AFPG which can be found at www.afpg.info
Regards,
ambi:ok:

FAAjon
1st Jan 2008, 19:04
:mad:

Done.

moggi
1st Jan 2008, 19:17
Signed.

Moggi

ex_rigger
1st Jan 2008, 19:47
Done. :ok:

Lyneham Lad
1st Jan 2008, 20:57
Signed.

Having read all the details I shall now go and lie in a quiet corner and try to bring my blood pressure down to a safe level.......................

LL

50+Ray
2nd Jan 2008, 04:23
Signed.
B..... Government.

ArthurR
2nd Jan 2008, 09:25
Signed

Disgusted with the treatment all ex and serving members of the forces get from this present goverment

shawtarce
2nd Jan 2008, 10:11
Signed

unbelievable...................

Clockwork Mouse
2nd Jan 2008, 14:26
Thanks to those who have shown their support. This to bring it up to the top of the pile again.

AYTCH
2nd Jan 2008, 14:38
Signed !!!:mad:

sled dog
2nd Jan 2008, 15:01
Signed. I am very happy not to have resided for many years in what was truly once "a green and pleasant land". Your votes at the next election could make the difference, although i doubt it. Most MP`s are only interested in their own overinflated pensions.
Just like where i live, really.....:(

endplay
2nd Jan 2008, 18:56
signed....

Clockwork Mouse
3rd Jan 2008, 14:09
This is a very deserving cause and a shameful episode in our governments' treatment of veterans. Grateful for as many signatures on the petition as possible. Thanks to those who have supported so far.

QWIN
3rd Jan 2008, 20:50
This may be percieved as creep or even gross intrusion on someone else's campaign but I have never understood why officer entrants, regardless of joining age were not entitled to accrue pension rights until the age of 21.

Q

Tabby Badger
20th Jan 2008, 00:44
Signed. It's about respect.

cornbeef
24th Jan 2008, 12:25
Signed......My wifes old boss was a Chindit - Brilliant guy and so proud of his heritage. They were the original forgotten army who we owe so much to.

HeliAviator
24th Jan 2008, 13:52
Oh how I would love to meet these spineless plebs............ :ugh:

Signed

HA

Hoverjobs
24th Jan 2008, 14:34
Duly signed. You must appreciate that the MOD no longer represents the interests of the servicman, it represents the interests of the politician in service matters.

S78
24th Jan 2008, 17:15
Signed,

Seems the government is quick to extract money but very reluctant to give it back - or even spend it on decent kit.......

S78

AC3854
25th Jan 2008, 01:55
And ... copied to Arrse.

Clockwork Mouse
25th Jan 2008, 08:45
Copied to Arrse - thanks AC!
CM

Doctor Cruces
25th Jan 2008, 11:32
Similar thing happened to me.

I came down with Rheumatoid Artritis whilst serving and I was finally "boarded" with about 18 months left to do.

I was told that I could levae now and get absolutely nothing bar my resettlement grant (pension etc when I was 60) or stay in a vastly reduced medical cat (no more promotion and no chance of signing on any further) and complete my service.

Had I known the that this was bo**ocks, I would have been medically discharged then, had my pension made up to full service and immediately paid, my commutation would have been a grant and not to pay back abd my entire pension tax free.

By MoD "smoke and mirrors" behavior, I was thus "discharged at end of service" and not medically discharged. Regardless of anything, that effectivel ended my carreer.

Try and convince MoD that I was given incompetently or even deliberately wrong advice is a total waste of time because their only answer is that I chose to stay in and be discharged normally and refuse to see further than that.

Given that they have only just admitted that there were personnel on Christmas Island watching Sunshine Bombs going off, I feel anyone trying to get fairly treated is a waste of time.

I used to be proud of my service, now I realise I was working for a bunch of cheap shysters.

Doc C:ugh:

PS, not trying to compare my service to Chindits, by the way.
Signed too!

Clockwork Mouse
30th Jan 2008, 21:24
31 signatures to go!
Saw Richard this evening. He's about to have an eye operation and is looking very frail. The petition is at 169 signatures this evening. It needs another 31 to make it to Downing Street. Grateful if you Pruners who haven't signed yet would consider it. The injustice, in fact it is official government THEFT from a man who put his life on the line, makes me want to kill the b*stards who are responsible for dragging this on.

Solid Rust Twotter
31st Jan 2008, 06:19
Not a denizen of the Sceptred Isle so unable to sign, but with you in spirit. Give it horns...

As much as folk seem to enjoy carping about the USA, they do seem to get it right with regard to their servicemen.

Skittler
1st Feb 2008, 15:20
First post on PPRune. Glad to have signed petition

Wilders
2nd Feb 2008, 01:42
Yet another example of the level of contempt that this government and MOD Civil Servants regard our forces and veterens. An absolute disgrace in my humble opinion.

Petition signed.

FantomZorbin
2nd Feb 2008, 07:55
Petion signed.
FZ

chappie
2nd Feb 2008, 08:06
signed and will circulate.
this is a travesty, but no suprise.
if you want my contacts to help circulate the story more please PM me!

keep the faith.
give the MoD enough rope they will hang themselves (metaphorically speaking!) please be comfoted by the fact that there are still those of us beavering away in the background still trying to get them brought to task for the wrong they have done.

Chugalug2
2nd Feb 2008, 09:29
Chappie, having just replied to your post on the 'Parliamentary' thread with this:

Let us hope that it is part of a general realisation by 'those in power' that they have more to lose by treating people in a cavalier and contemptuous manner than by according them the respect that they deserve.....
in any event if that is so then there is still a gulf of neglect to make up for.

I was jolted out of my feelings of false euphoria by reading this thread. Gulf of neglect? Rather a gaping chasm! These jobsworths are contemptible in the way they treat those to whom they owe their very freedoms. One just instinctively knows that they would have been the ones manning the desks of the Third Reich if 1940 had played out so very slightly differently... "well, somebody has to do it", the weasel justification of the apparatchiks throughout the ages. Reform the MOD now, from top to bottom, before it destroys our ability to defend ourselves entirely! Rant ends.
Oh, nearly forgot, signed!

duncand
2nd Feb 2008, 10:38
Signed

Bunch of Newarks!

Hueymeister
2nd Feb 2008, 10:54
Signed...if it weren't so sad it would be truly laughable. Pound to a pinch of poop someone in the system has an email that suggests that stringing this out will reduce the amount the dept has to pay. Penny pinching sh!tbags. If this was about MP's pensions it would be dealt with lickety-split. Greedy pigs have always got their own interests first and their snouts in OUR trough

Solid Rust Twotter
3rd Feb 2008, 03:34
No different to any other jamstealers then....:yuk:

Shack37
13th Mar 2008, 21:20
http://www.pm.gov.uk/output/Page15001.asp (http://www.pm.gov.uk/output/Page15001.asp)

Reply from PMs office. Would that be a yes, no or maybe.