PDA

View Full Version : Young, Eager...Dying to know more!!!

UglyOneOne
30th Dec 2007, 19:20
Hello there!!!

I am 17 years old and since my first flight on an Air2000 757 when I was five...Ive wanted to be a pilot. Ive visited OAT and have to say that im extremely impressed. I have my heart set on this place.

Im just slightly worried at the moment at funding the living costs whilst I am there.

Does anybody have any ideas that dont involve wealthy relatives?

thanks
adam

davepearsall
30th Dec 2007, 19:56
working for a good few years which is what I am currently doing and is why I have become a hermit!

CAT3C AUTOLAND
30th Dec 2007, 20:41
Adam,

Firstly welcome to the fraternity of pilots. At 17 years old you have plenty of time to achieve your goal. I had a similar desire at your age.

One piece of advice that I would give you is keep an open mind with regard to your training. I did not train at oxford because I was a poor bugger ;), and I am sure the training is good, but you can achieve the same goal at many other flight training organisations. Shop around, and make sure you choose a school that is right for YOU.

All the best with it mate, it is a great job and certainly beats working for a living.

Cheers.

AirCanadaBA
31st Dec 2007, 09:56
Although my suggestion is not at OAT, but at CTC wings where you could join the Easyjet sponsored training. This would seem to be good for you as you seem to be low on funds. Good luck.

PAPI-74
31st Dec 2007, 11:12
I was in the Air Cadets at 15, solo in a glider at 16, flew a PC-9 at 18, then had to wait till 33 for my first commercial job. Good luck, but the wait makes it sweeter, but my god it felt forever.:ok:

RS999
31st Dec 2007, 16:27
'at CTC wings where you could join the Easyjet sponsored training. This would seem to be good for you as you seem to be low on funds'

On the CTC Wings Scheme you won't necessarily join EZY. It depends who is recruiting around the time of CTC's Airline Qualification Course (about 14 months into your Wings training). It could be any one of their partner airlines who sponsor you.

Having said that, I would wholeheartedly recommend CTC as I am going to New Zealand on 9th January to start my Wings course and have found the selection process to be very difficult but very rewarding at the same time, their training to be amongst the best in the world and their locating of your 'first job' brilliant (although nothing is guaranteed but they have a 100% placement record since the Wings scheme began, something I think the other big FTO's can not boast about)

Good Luck young'un:ok:

AirCanadaBA
4th Jan 2008, 00:08
"On the CTC Wings Scheme you won't necessarily join EZY."

EZY seems to be the main recruiter, though so its a fair guess you would end up with them.

Shakuri
4th Jan 2008, 10:20
At the moment perhpas, but it all depends on which airlines need pilots at the time, EZY at the mo, but it could be BA in a few months.

gunit
4th Jan 2008, 10:57
dozens of flight schools out there, shop around and you couls save thousands, i thought oxford was far too expensive!!:yuk:

CABUS
4th Jan 2008, 11:03
I have just completed my MCC at Oxford and my biggest regret is not doing the full intergrated course with them but like many others it was due to money. I worked as a flight dispatcher for three years raising money and loads of experience and even better than all that CONTACTS! It was a good fun time, I saved a fair old ammount, learnt loads about the industry, worked with aircraft every day and met loads of senior pilots. I would really reccomend it;).

Best of luck and I hope it all works out for you in the near future.:ok: