PDA

View Full Version : Arik Air profesionalism? SCARY!

freefly_rulz
30th Dec 2007, 16:16
Arik Air taking off from an airfield, and calls the tower after take off:
Arik: Gives estimates to tower
Tower: Contact Kano
Arik contacts Kano on wrong frequency
Tower: Check frequency
Arik contacts Kano on wrong frequency for a second time :rolleyes:
Tower: Calling wrong station!
one minute later...
Arik: Requesting a "nice flight level" please. :ugh:
Tower: What flight level do you require?
Arik: As high as possible please sah. :ugh:
Tower: Silence for a few seconds.... replies: We will see what we can do...
How is it possible to be so ignorant and unprofesional??? :ugh: :\ :sad:

nozzle
31st Dec 2007, 08:08
I ask why are all the Nigerian pilots so quite on this one?
Usually they have alot to say about every other topic that gets posted.:confused:

hotmj43
31st Dec 2007, 12:30
Response,no details of the aircraft type was it a B733,737,CRJ HS125-800,as you may or not be aware,Arik employs foreign crew members, on all these aircraft types ,you have to be more specific.Yes Arik is a Nigerian carrier.
I draw your attention to the Arik Dash 8 operation, which we all know is a wet lease arrangement,which has been widely comented on, in this forum.....It is highly unlikely that was you have put out involved an old pro Nigerian Pilot,it sounds like someone totally new in the Airspace,whom could well turn out to be Nigerian.....IF THAT TURNS OUT TO BE THE CASE,IT IS A POOR SHOW.What ever the Nationality,assuming what you have related is true
Happy New Year :ok:

freefly_rulz
31st Dec 2007, 12:57
no details of the aircraft type

B733

29 December '08

Oyindo
31st Dec 2007, 19:27
I am not surprised by this post. RT discipline in Nigerian Airspace lacks, while some ATC guys condone it, not that they know any better themselves.

The training departments should be hot on this, making sure crews use the right phraseologies and are disciplined on the radio.

I would ground the buggers and send them for some sort of retraining if they are not up to scratch. Maybe a radio operator for a year in some tin shack in the hills of Obudu.

Getting the wrong Freq happens to the best of us!

HavingSaidThat
1st Jan 2008, 09:30
It is all about respect and attitude towards the job you are set to do. None of us can claim we are not sloppy on the R/T from time to time. But there is no excuse for it. The responsibility for lifting and assuring correct and proffesional use of R/T procedures is our own, and the training department.

Arik, as far as I know, does not have a proper managed training department. The last person in charge of pilot training left the company "before he even started". Sad for Arik because this guy could have made a difference. Why he left? Well, lack of...................throughout the organisation, I guess. And this is, and will be, Arik`s problem in the months to come as long as they do not install a proper flight operations management. I am told they still do not have a Post Holder Flight Operations, and that the Chief Pilot holds the position temporarely. If you listen well, and have some kind of insight in this airline, you will know that this person is no role model for the pilots. And that is exactly what you need, a professional person with integrity able to knock through "old" walls. Question is, do they want it. I believe they do not.

Arik Air needs to do a reality check on themselves. Nothing more, nothing less.

freefly_rulz
1st Jan 2008, 09:57
Arik Air needs to do a reality check on themselves. Nothing more, nothing less.

If they don't do that reality check, accidents are inevitable! And that would be disastrous.

Metro man
1st Jan 2008, 11:30
What do you expect in a country that at one time operated 10% of the BAC1-11s in the world yet had 90% of the accidents involving this type ?

TomBola
1st Jan 2008, 16:50
Balewa,

We all know Metro Man has an agenda, but comments like yours do nothing to help. Just ignore him or come up with definitive evidence to disprove what he posts and he'll go away.

Metro man
1st Jan 2008, 21:44
Exactly TomBola, just prove me wrong.:E

I pulled the following from the US State Department list of travel warnings.

Enforcement of aviation safety standards in Nigeria is uneven; civil aviation in Nigeria continues to experience air incidents and accidents, including four crashes with fatalities between October 22, 2005, and October 30, 2006. Incidents included fires on planes, collapsed landing gear, and planes veering off the runway. After each such occurrence, aviation authorities may temporarily shut down the domestic airline involved, ground a number of planes, and close the affected airport. Flights in Nigeria, including international routes, are often delayed or cancelled. Travelers should be prepared for disruptions to air travel to, from, and within Nigeria.

In general, international airlines have paid close attention to conditions at airports in Nigeria and have taken appropriate action. As such, international carriers operating direct flights to Nigeria have experienced far fewer incidents. However, domestic carriers operating within Nigeria and the region are less responsive to local conditions and may present a greater safety risk to travelers. Where possible, international travelers to and from Nigeria should avoid transiting an additional Nigerian city.

Travel by any means within Nigeria is risky. For essential travel, official Americans in Nigeria balance the risk between domestic air and road travel by using direct flights on Virgin Nigeria Airlines or AERO Contractors to cities serviced by these carriers.

This is from the Australia Department of Foreign Affairs:

Airline and air charter safety and maintenance standards vary throughout the world. It is not known whether maintenance procedures and safety standards on aircraft used on internal flights are always properly observed or whether passengers are covered by airline insurance.

Recent incidents have raised serious concerns about the safety of Nigerian airports and civil aviation operations. There are serious doubts about the maintenance and safety of many, often very old, Nigerian registered aircraft operating internal flights within Nigeria. A domestic passenger plane crashed soon after take-off from Lagos Airport in October 2005, killing all on board, while another crashed on landing at Port Harcourt Airport in December 2005, again killing nearly all on board. In October 2006, a passenger aircraft crashed shortly after take-off from Abuja killing around 100 passengers and crew. The poor condition of runways due to flooding, potholes and other obstacles and inadequate safety infrastructure also contributed to other recent non-fatal aircraft accidents.

Domestic flights are often delayed or cancelled at short notice. Where possible, international visitors to Abuja are advised to travel on direct flights and avoid transiting through another Nigerian city. The only international services operating to and from Abuja are British Airways from London, KLM from Amsterdam and Lufthansa from Frankfurt.

I don't have room to to paste the entire travel advisories regarding crime, scams etc here.

For those interested:
http://www.fco.gov.uk
http://travel.state.gov/
http://www.smartraveller.gov.au/index.html

TomBola
1st Jan 2008, 23:53
Yes Metro Man,

We've all seen these tired travel circulars. Would you like me to post a list of all the helicopter accidents in the Gulf of Mexico to prove how America is the most dangerous country in the world? Of course not. You've still posted nothing relating to Arik (who, by the way, have no BAC 1-11s, but one of the most modern airliner fleets in Nigeria, which would be the envy of many North American or European airlines). Where also do they mention anything about being able to buy a license in Nigeria?

I admit that Arik is appallingly run, but this post probably involves one of its expatriate pilots who have not covered themselves in glory during their time in Nigeria.

So I'll say yet again where is your definitive evidence regarding the posts you've made? You've provided none, only smoke and mirrors which, strange to relate, we're not going to be fooled by here in Nigeria, the home of 419 - as you so rightly point out :E

Metro man
2nd Jan 2008, 00:51
I would hardly call a few CRJs and a couple of well used 737s the envy of airlines worldwide. If this is some of the best I you've got I do sympathise. Excluding Aerocontractors and Virgin Nigeria you're not doing too well are you ?

I am willing to help Arik Air with its current problems, please send me US$3000 for a ticket and US$2000 for hotel and incidentals and I will be right over there to assist in training.;)

BTW Oil is rather expensive at the moment, you chaps must be doing rather well out of it. Why not use some of that money to improve your aviation sector ?

ZAZOO
2nd Jan 2008, 01:58
yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawn...........................

how boring,....... nothing else to read on the African forum, lost all the fun we used to have around here :ugh:

ZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

HavingSaidThat
2nd Jan 2008, 06:33
Facts can be boring, but nevertheless, they remain being facts.

Latest from the Arik rumour kitchen is that the Safety Officer has resigned !!! I belive I know why. See, the thing is that a couple of new 737-700 on the tarmac combined with fat orders of Dreamliners and 777s do not make a safe and well managed airline. And Arik has a problem attracting the professionals they need, for different reasons. When they have been able to sign up people with the potential to do a good job, they are either terminated or they resign themselves. Johnson and his people on the top have to come to terms with the requirements for a professional operation. So far they have not.

hotmj43
2nd Jan 2008, 07:37
Why do you bother,Kindly drop out of all the debate here?
I suggest to go treat your self.......the stats you have provided from your sick mind have no bearing here,BAC1-11 my A:mad:E

18left
2nd Jan 2008, 10:55
pity about,the safety officer.brilliant guy,with a CV that would make any one envious.He was previously safety officer in aero,who sent him on several courses,and he gathered much experience there,he was virtually stolen from aero and he help set up the safety department in arik,including thier manuals.He attended several courses at flight safety,university of california,and also in canada.
rumour has it that his department was stripped of all functions and oversights as his department is seem to "cost to much money",and he became a figurehead
its not to good when you loose such talents in a company as young as arik and from your safety department??????????

safety first

HavingSaidThat
3rd Jan 2008, 07:29
rumour has it that his department was stripped of all functions and oversights as his department is seem to "cost to much money",and he became a figureheadIf you think safety is expensive, try an accident !

AVSEC
3rd Jan 2008, 17:32
Daamnnnnnnn.......
What a pity.
So that just leaves the ex baggage handler of bellview airlines, in charge of their security and safety department.
Hope NCAA does not find out or they could begin to have some serious problems,couldnt they?
Any way I am sure they will sort it out since too much money has been invested to let it all go to waste.

AVIATOR_2
4th Jan 2008, 10:30
Seems like more and more want to get out of Arik.

Reality, Sanity and Common Sense must be kicking in. :ugh:

WestAfricaDash8
12th Jul 2008, 22:31
The reality check at Arik Air is the war between blacks and whites. Hate starts with the chief pilot! he hates whites!

as for an accident coming soon I hate to say it will be there soon!

WestAfricaDash8
12th Jul 2008, 22:37
Johnson and his Chief Pilot hate expatriate pilots. Having said that they will get enough local pilots by the year 2025. Of a group of 40 sent to London for training about 8 approved the training! However, older Nigerian pilots, most of them from Nigeria Airways, are kind, professional and accept diversity. There are not that many left! The new generation seems to be arrogant, unfriendly and very unprofessional!:8

fly now
13th Jul 2008, 22:19
to find even more ignorant u should go in skyeurope!

NDB17
15th Jul 2008, 02:29
Mr WestAfricanDash8,

Could you explain further your claim that Mr Johnson and the Chief Pilot hate whites. I find it abit hard to believe that the Chief Pilot will descend to such, considering he is half.....white.

WestAfricaDash8
15th Jul 2008, 12:10
Half white? that might be the problem. If you do not believe he is full of hate apply for a pilot position there and check out his warm welcome! You will probably wait two weeks before you meet him once you are in Lagos. Only this month four expats are leaving. Some other are just waiting to be checked on the 737NG.

Being a chief pilot is a politics game. And politics in Nigeria play a big role. Other pilots want his role...that is, his power. And by the way, if you do not fly over 100 hours a month and break the law the chief pilot will even hate you more!

Mr. Johnson said in a recent meeting: What do expats want after they fly 100 hours, sit in the hotel and rest? Slavery my friend. This is what this people are used to and this is what you get if you go there. Ah! and flying over 100 hours does not mean you will get paid extra. Simply **** them off my friend.