PDA

View Full Version : Bristol GS ATPL(H) Training Books on eBay

helicrazi
29th Dec 2007, 10:42
Just come across this listing on ebay, item number: 130186285633

Thought it may be of some use to some of the other wannabe's out there?

Unfortunately already have my books! :)

g-mady
29th Dec 2007, 11:55
thing is at Bristol you have to pay for the 2 week brush up course which includes the cost of the Books?

MADY

BRASSEMUP
29th Dec 2007, 13:37
You could always use them as solid fuel for the fire!!!:p

Captain-Beanie
7th Jan 2008, 19:21
was just looking at these, in you guys/girls wise opinions, are they pointless?

Cheers! C-B

puntosaurus
7th Jan 2008, 20:03
Well, the prices from the Bristol Website are as follows:

Manuals - Each Subject £85.00
Each Two Week Crammer £475.00
Computer Program £490.00

Or £2100 all in.

So on the face of it, anything under £760 is a good deal. BUT the notes may not be the current version and as you can see above, the manuals are only part of the picture. Depending on your background, you need a school like Bristol to stand behind you and vouch for your progress, achievement, and hours of training to the CAA before they will let you sit the exams. Again depending on your background that may require the crammers and/or the computer program. They may or may not be happy to update your notes, and that may or may not be a problem.

I've always found Bristol very helpful and quite commercial, so if you ask on ebay what version (of each subject) you're getting, then give Alex Whittingham a call and see if he'd be happy to upgrade your secondhand notes.

Captain-Beanie
8th Jan 2008, 07:50
Thanks for the advice puntosaurus :D

C-B

Whirlygig
8th Jan 2008, 08:01
The reason that Bristol advertise the costs separately is that some people will be sitting the course without the mandatory brush-up classroom sessions. These are people who are exempt due to having another ICAO licence and, I think, over 1,000 hours. Anyone else, sitting ATPL for the first time will have to pay the full course price (which will include manuals) although I believe it can be split into two modules.

Second hand manuals aren't worth that much but if, post-PPL, you wanted to start studying straight away before you wish to enrol on a course (as there is a time limit between sitting the first and last exams), then the notes may be useful.

Cheers

Whirls

manfromuncle
8th Jan 2008, 08:05
I sold my bristol books for £220 on ebay. That seems to be the going price.

bolkowoff
8th Jan 2008, 21:38
Definately, best thing to do is phone Alex at Bristol G.S as said previously, he'll give you advice. I'm sure he'll tell you that if you wish to do the course you'll have to pay a set amount for module 1 to begin with which includes, the 2 week brush up course, all the notes (7 subjects) and a c.d. rom which you'll need to send in your progress tests. You will then have your own books anyway which you can study well before booking yourself on the two week brush up course asyou don't have to book in straight away! It'll be the same for module 2 (6 subjects).
No need to be buying books you don't need off ebay. You'll need every penny you can get down the road!