PDA

View Full Version : Orlando Flight Training - Dont worry, this question hasn't been answered!!!!!

steggers
28th Dec 2007, 16:26
Good evening ladies and gents.

I'm hoping somebody can shed some light onto these questions. I'm hoping to go to OFT to do some hour buliding when i'm over in the states.

1) As OFT is a JAA recommended school do they teach as per the JAA syllabus or the FAA syllabus? By this i mean do the teach you to join the circuit overhead, down-wind, cross-wind etc or do they get you to join on a 45 degree angle like the American's do?

2) At OFT do they teach you to use the BUMFFPICHH (Pre-landing Checks) or do they use GUMPS as there pre-landing checks?

3) When doing Stall's do they use the HASELL check or again do they use something else as it's in America?

If anybody can shed some light to this it would be most greatful.
Many Thanks

MrHorgy
28th Dec 2007, 18:11
Steggars,

Although I speak from experience at OBA, and not OFT, I believe it will still be useful.

If OFT are going to teach you english methods, it's probably going to be on paper. If they are operating at an FAA airport, they'll have to follow american rules of the air no matter what syllabus your following. Feel free to correct me though, that's just a logical statement.

Regarding your HASELL/BUMFFPICHH checks, they are just one method of achieving a goal. I used HASELL at OBA, but not BUMFFPICHH - I didn't use that until CPL! As long as you get it all done and dusted safely it shouldn't matter.

Horgy

mcgoo
28th Dec 2007, 19:36
I would have thought if your only going for hour building, they wouldn't teach you anything.

CaptainKC
28th Dec 2007, 20:53
Hi Horgy,

Nobody seems to want to talk about OBA, can't find any recent threads about them. You have trained there you say, I'd be much obliged if you could give me the heads up, thinking about going there for the CPL/ME

Cheers Mate!

1Bingo
28th Dec 2007, 20:54
As with any platform you fly through your career, you learn and use the appropriate mnemonics to reinforce checklist items. Don't worry if they are different, learn to use the ones that are necessary, just like the operational limits of the aircraft your are flying. As you build experience in the platform, you can use whatever mnemonic you like!

1 Bingo

MrHorgy
28th Dec 2007, 21:06
KC,

At one stage, OBA discussion was banned pending a possible lawsuit - if you want details PM me, I only did a PPL completion though.

Horgy

Polorutz
29th Dec 2007, 04:45
HASELL and BUMPFICHL or whatever you use is mostly a school appointed check, at my ppl I learnt BUMPFICHL now I got FMBASC or something like that... like the cruise... I learnt FREDA, now I use CLEAROF, both schools were JAA schools and they taught JAA methods, checklists are not in the JAA syllabus since they change with every airplane and every school might have a small variation of the known ones.

gg190
29th Dec 2007, 18:23
Hey,

They teach JAA on paper and largely FAA in the air, simply becuase its FAA airspace and an FAA airport.

I used the FREDA pre-landing checks, I was flying a 152, I believe it was a bit different in the cadets.

They do use the HASELL checks.

George