PDA

View Full Version : Best school for JAA training?

novicepilot
28th Dec 2007, 07:23
I have been looking at integrated/modular training and have now decided to go modular. After contacting Orlando Flight Training for my initial PPL I was put off by the misleading way they portray the course, for instance, advertising it as being able to be completed in 21 days, yet when you examine closely the current averages are 5-6 weeks minimum. There are numerous other hidden costs and I would be loathe to give them any money.

My question was, can anybody advise me on a good JAA/PPL training course that can be taken quickly. I was looking at a number of areas and although I live in Hertfordshire, I would be prepared to travel. I would list the areas I am trying to look at as:
a) Economical and good value.
b) Schools either in UK, Australia, New Zealand or US, if they can be completed over a reasonable period (similar to OFT), but realistic timescales rather than promising one thing and the reality being totally different.
c) Somewhere close to where I reside if the course needs to be studied over a longer period.

Any help would be really appreciated. I am not looking to get the cost down to a real minimum and want to get a balance of economy with a good level of instruction so that I leave the course competent.

Finals19
28th Dec 2007, 15:16
If you can stomach the cost of UK schools, there are a couple of possibilities right down the road from you:

The Pilot Centre, Denham - good school with good fleet of PA28/C152/C172. Good value for money for the area and a decent instructor pool with an excellent CFI.

Elstree Aerodrome - similar social demographic to Denham, rather rich London clientele and a slightly attitude challenged FISO (but don't let him put you off!) Several schools on site - Firecrest looks and sounds OK. Do a search, as there are several enlightening reports on Flyteam and Cabair...need I say more..

Good luck.

GHB100R
28th Dec 2007, 23:17
Have a look at Wolverhampton Airport Flying Centre (google HGFC to find it). They have Commercial Pilots based there as instructors and they can take you all the way up to airline standard. I know it's a distance but i know people who have entered OAT from the airport and this shows their quality. All the info is on the website but they are really top-notch. I'm having flying lessons there at the moment and cannot fault them.

Good Luck,

GHB100R

Danny1987
29th Dec 2007, 02:03
have a look on the cabair career pilots website

AIR SEYCHELLES 787
29th Dec 2007, 02:13
South Africa is also very highly recommended.No JAA PPL but still ICAO and the South Africans take their flight training very seriously. My research has to date not found any criticism of their schools and the price for what they offer for their 0-150 hour PPL packages are well priced and their syllabus' based apparently on on UK CAA. Short time frames to complete (up to 3 months).