PDA

View Full Version : Best 55x40x20 hand luggage?

Momo
27th Dec 2007, 19:20
Suggestions welcome:

There is evidence that carry-on rules are going to get more strict in the next few months. 55x40x20 cm (22x16x8 inches) looks like becoming the maximum. I have been using a no-brand 50x35x22 rolling bag for the last year, and it is coming apart, after about 150 flights. I would like advice on best makes/models that you have found. Here are my requirements:

- The case itself should be as light as possible.
- Wheels and a telescopic handle.
- Need to be able to carry my PC, iPod, chargers, assorted adaptors, two novels, a notepad, two shirts, socks, toiletries etc. for two nights, plus my running shoes, shorts, T-shirt and eventual track suit in for colder weather.
- Must be lockable for when they take it from me on small planes.

My feeling is that I should minimize the space that internal dividers and compartments take up. Using thin bags seems more space-efficient.

Samsonite have one that has these exact dimensions for SFr 295 /$255 /125 pounds. Seems OK, but it has a lot of internal dividers and compartments, all of which seem to make it heavy.

Suggestions?

PAXboy
27th Dec 2007, 23:53
I used to use Delsey (for 20 years) and then they stopped making cases I liked and so I went over to the big S. I have to say that I am seriously impressed.

I have three cases from major to minor and all have taken a goodly amount of punishment. The middle sized that I bought in 1998, has had a full compensation payout from one carrier because they damaged it so much. Two years later - I'm still using it. :ok:

Rush2112
28th Dec 2007, 01:53
Earlier in the year I used some vouchers to get a Victorinox WT20 from SIA's mail order shop. It is 51x36x30 (according to the website just now) so overall dimensions about the same. I have used it on SIA flights and Easyjet as handbaggage with no issues. It's fairly light and seems pretty well-made, the wheels are particularly good and smooth.

It has the excellent Victorinox monopole telescopic handle and inside it has a (small!) hanging mesh bag, plus a couple of removeable mesh 'cubes' which I use for adapators and chargers. I don't take running shoes but it will take up 4 days' shirts, ties etc, and a second pair of eg casual shoes. It has a couple of pockets in the front for book, iPod and travel docs.

The only thing against it from your criteria is that it has no lock, however, I merely bought a small padlock that lives in the hanging mesh bag which is easy to get at if the check-in says Nuh.

It's not the cheapest but I'd say it's worth a look. Well, obviously I would...

Final 3 Greens
28th Dec 2007, 07:34
Rimowa Salsa, made from polycarbonate, very strong, very light, not cheap.

Rwy in Sight
28th Dec 2007, 07:40
Have you checked the Boeing mail shop? I think I saw a couple of good ones there which might be of some interest to you.

I know I ama about to have a look.

Rwy in Sight

fendant
28th Dec 2007, 07:49
Rimova Aluminium, only TSA cowboys with crowbar succed to destroy it!

Frank

Momo
28th Dec 2007, 20:58
The Rimowa "Classic flight" looks good and seems to be made to fit the new frame that LH say they will use in the spring to inspect size of luggage. It has a lock too. 35l capacity with a zippered compartment, and no other internal dividers. However, it weighs 3.5 kg empty, which is over half of what BA occasionally claims they want as a weight limit. I see there is also an "air light" version (not in aluminium) at the Lufthansa shop for 259 euro, and it weighs 2.9kg, which might be OK. They also make a "Private jet" version that is 5mm over their thickness limit, sells for 659 euro, which seems steep, and weighs 4.3kg, defeating the point.

Final 3 Greens
29th Dec 2007, 07:29
Momo

The Áir Light' case is the same specification as the Salsa case, I know as I have owned both.

It's the best cabin case I have yet located and does not waste space with internal dividers.

I also have the aluminium version, that is well suited to the rigours of airport handling systems, but the penalty is weight as you say.

Momo
29th Dec 2007, 12:04
Thank you for the advice. I have now bought the Rimowa Salsa "Cabin trolley IATA".

Momo
1st Jul 2008, 14:00
I am pretty happy with this case so far. The absence of an outside pocket of any description can be a bit of a hassle - no access to car keys, other docs, without opening the case. Still, it does exactly what I want, and is indeed light and robust.

Pontius Navigator
1st Jul 2008, 20:57
However, it weighs 3.5 kg empty, which is over half of what BA occasionally claims they want as a weight limit. .

My cabin baggage was weighed for a Monarch flight and the limit was 5kg.

Mind you she didn't weigh my jacket. It has 8 or 9 pockets, I keep finding more :ok:

Momo
6th Oct 2010, 06:55
Still very happy with this case, until one of the handles came off yesterday while moving it around at security in Schipol. Now to see if I can get the five-year guarantee to come into play when I don't know where the receipt is. I don't know whether the model actually exists for more than five years, so it may not be an issue.

ThreadBaron
6th Oct 2010, 08:01
Pontius

Sounds like your jacket might be one of these:

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a113/threadbaron/carry-on-jacket.jpg
:eek:

PAXboy
6th Oct 2010, 11:14
The Scottevests are good - I had one some years ago until it got nicked. BUT you have to buy mail-order and sizing can be a problem. Perhaps they have some stores now but, being in the UK, returning a product that is not the right size is expensive - especially as you may have paid import duty on it!

Momo
7th Oct 2010, 16:34
Anyway, I have found the credit card record but not the receipt, so I take it back to the store tomorrow, which is what the Rimowa site says I need to do. Unfortunately I was so happy that I threw out my other two cases, so am not sure how to survive for the time they will take to fix it.

M

Momo
11th Apr 2013, 12:47
The Rimowa finally gave up after three different repairs. I bought the Samsonite Firelite six months ago, as it is now the lightest case that fits into the Lufthansa/Swiss baggage grid. (20 cm thick, rather than the 25 allowed on BA, for example.) The zip has detached from the case, and it is being repaired. 10 year warranty. I was in Munich last week and bought a cheap Travelite (39 euro) to use while the Firelite is repaired. There is a discount chain there that is very cheap in general. (Hetzenegger)

Espada III
11th Apr 2013, 20:44
We bought two replacement Travelite bags from the Lufthansa World Shop on line for €99 each. About 2kg, with a solid base but fabric shell they are light and roomy and hardwearing. Better value than these very expensive trolleys one sees advertised and more practical, without loss of quality. Our old bags are six years old and have had a hard life. The only defect is the loss of the zipper tabs.