PDA

View Full Version : ATPL Ground School Cabir Bournemouth v BCFT Bournemouth

nibs2007
27th Dec 2007, 18:27
Ladies Gentleman

Once again need some help to choose groundschool, i have got Cabir in bournemouth V BCFT, which one have good instructors, i guess the pass rate depends on individuals.

Looking forward to your replies.

Many Thanks

Happy new years to all

Nabeel

jxc
27th Dec 2007, 18:31
I would interested in knowing too as moving to south coast from suffolk and am looking at the same thing !

maxdrypower
27th Dec 2007, 18:58
Try searching , there is a lot on both on here already , then visit both and decide what suits you best , whats good for one isnt good for the other. I chose BCFT due to horror stories about the other and their clas sizes

nibs2007
27th Dec 2007, 19:14
Thanks mate for very prompt reply, have you finished yours at BCFT, and when or if you are still there, whats the place like...

fadge
27th Dec 2007, 19:41
I am just finishing up my ATPL training with Cabair Bournemouth (EPTA) and I must say that I am really happy with my experience. The school is growing and class sizes are approx 20 students per class. I believe they want to keep classes around this size and are planning an additional class for new students in 2008. I found the instructors to be top quality and will really go out of their way to help you. They have many many years of experience and have an excellent understanding of what is required to pass exams. I have been at the school for the last six months and I have not heard of any horror stories that would substantiate the above comment. I think there is only so much instructors can do for a student.

I found the 3 module approach which Cabair take to be a better format than BCFTs. It allowed me to concentrate on fewer subject - albeit on a tighter time-scale and when the exams come around it gave me more time to review

wbryce
27th Dec 2007, 20:37
Many confuse the flying horror stories of cabair with the groundschool sometimes, its a big organisation...their modular groundschool is top quality, I finished up at cabair in November and loved the experience; I chose Cabair over BCFT because of the 3 module approach, i considered it to be less stressful; but i'm glad I did...I would be very suprised if you could get better instruction anywhere else! (hi steve)

chris-squire
27th Dec 2007, 20:43
I live just down the road from both. I've looked pretty extensively into each of them. The problem with BCFT is that they just dont have the access to HSBC funding. This was my main problem from the outset so I didnt have much choice in the end. But Cabair is a top notch FTO in my book and have no qualms in going there. I starting ATPL's in July if anyone else has similar plans???

Chris :ok:

Finals19
27th Dec 2007, 20:54
Bristol GS for groundschool - distance learning is by no means a handicap.

PAT Bournemouth for flight training - look like an excellent FTO.

Don't be fooled into thinking that integrated is going to give you that extra "edge" in getting the first job. Save your money.

nibs2007
28th Dec 2007, 10:42
Thanks for all your feedback, really helpfull, i know few faces in cabair who have been really helpfull.

chris-squire (http://www.pprune.org/forums/member.php?u=79519)
hopefully i will be starting mine in around march april time. are you from EGHH area,

chris-squire
28th Dec 2007, 11:59
Nibs - EGHH area?

I originally wanted to start in eaither March or May but just couldn't get my loan and PPL & hours done in time so having to opt for July. But to be honest that isn't all bad because I'll finish ATPL's just about when the weather is starting to get better ready for CPL. :)

:ok:

KeithTo
28th Dec 2007, 13:56
This is a bit off topic but is anyone starting Cabair GS in May?

Lima288
30th Dec 2007, 23:55
From personal experience, BCFT run a good groundschool, and if your intention is to continue to flying training, it's a great choice. Distance learning is fine if you have the time and discipline to see it through, but for me a 6 month residential course was the best route, as this ensured I avoided distractions - well, most of them!!. I enjoyed the 6 months at BCFT and am very happy with the results. It went very quickly (about 6 months in fact :rolleyes:), and the 2-module (7 exams per module) approach worked fine for me - the less times you have to visit Gatwick the better!! I'm also enjoying the flying training there - it was a smooth progression and the environment is great.
If you have completed any form of aptitude testing prior to commencement this may help a lot with a loan application as the bank will see that according to the test you have what it takes to complete the course. (I don't think Cabair have any magic wand to wave at HSBC)
Other than that, if you have the opportunity to visit your prospective training provider options, then do so - talk to the staff and talk to the students. It's well worth it. Choose the environment you think will work best for you. If you can't visit for any reason, you've made a good start here on the forum, and hopefully the feedback will help support your decision.
Best wishes for a successful course!!

chris-squire
31st Dec 2007, 07:44
BCFT did look very good and really professional when I visited on 3 seperate occasions. But trust me on this as I am speaking from very recent experience....unless HSBC have done a U-Turn over X-Mas, Cabair and OAT are your only options if you want a PSL with deferred payments. It's not just about doing the assessment. HSBC are lending the money on the basis that you are studying on 'an approved' route with 'an approved' trianing provider.

Believe me, I don't like the situation any more than you guys but that's just how it is at the mo. :ugh:

nibi786
31st Dec 2007, 09:31
Hi guys....
Ok so i have done all my ATPL exams with Cabair....I have studies at both Cranfield and Bournemouth divisions....AND....my verdict....
BOURNEMOUTH.....Im honestly saying this as both a very happy student and customer. I feel that Cabair Bournemouth are a VERY good training school for groundschool examinations.
The instructors are 110% dedicated to their students, giving up lunchtimes and after school time as well. VERY VERY supportive. They also operate in a manner that ensures YOU are exam ready....this way its more than likely that the exams you sit will be passed....overall...Im extremely happy with my training from them, and so are ALL the other people i know of there.... :)

Happy New Year :D

Nibi ;)

nibs2007
31st Dec 2007, 09:49
Hi Nibi786

Congrats, that you have completed your ATPeees! When did you complete your ATPeees. do instructors help in the evening's or weekends...

Nabeel

chris-squire
31st Dec 2007, 11:01
nibi - Firstly, congrats on passing your ATPL's! Secondly, it's good to hear some really positive stuff about Cabair Bournemouth as I'll be there next year. They always looked pretty good and they have been really helpful thus far so happy days ahead I rekon!

As mentioned in my previous post, BCFT also look very good. It's just a shame that HSBC tie you to Cabair or OAT. That's not a dig against Cabair in anyway before someone takes offence! I'm actually really looking forward to starting there and am happy with the training provider that I am using. I just don't like the way its becoming monopolised by the bank if you know what I mean.

caspar
31st Dec 2007, 20:10
I recently finished Ground School at Cabair Bournemouth and can agree with what people are saying here - it really is excellent. Sadly I was sat next to a certain wbryce most of the time (;)), but other than that, no complaints at all!

nibi786
31st Dec 2007, 20:30
Cabair bmouth - prob the best GS school they have - as for the weekends, closer to exam ime, they tend too.....if you really need it that is but believe me so much help is given during the week - you are pretty well set up....and the CGI has email if you have burning questions and usually responds very quickly with great explanations :D

Nibi ;)

Lima288
1st Jan 2008, 13:37
Interesting to hear about the "tie-in" with Cabair and HSBC - I had not realised that it was provider specific. I did the assessment at Cabair and they were pushing their schools, obviously.
When you say 'approved' route and training provider, approved by who?
Obviously anyone studying for a JAA ATPL will be following an "approved" route, as you can't get an ATPL through any other route. Also, all training providers for the JAA ATPL are "approved" by the CAA/JAA - they have to be! So I don't see how HSBC can say your course is OK with Cabair Modular but not with BCFT! Obviously I have no personal experience of this but it seems odd. I will mention this to the admin staff at BCFT and see if they have any feedback, but Cabair and OAT have the same "approved" status as BCFT - they just happen to be bigger and better known, with bigger marketing machines!!!

BCFT have also recently introduced the Jetline programme, which will take an ab-initio student through to fATPL. It's a modular course aligned to the integrated route - single training provider, but with modular flexibility. It appears to be very popular at the moment. I would be very surprised if this did not qualify for funding support.

Wherever you choose, best wishes for success!!
Happy New Year!!

chris-squire
1st Jan 2008, 16:15
Lima - I'm just the messenger! Obviously the course and provider is approved by HSBC and like it or not they can put whatever restrictions they like on their products. I looked at the BCFT Jetline programme, which is pretty much the same idea as Cabair's Airline Entry Scheme (formerly Pathfinder). It does look very good but like I said, until the bank starts allowing funding for study at that school then its OAT or Cabair I'm afraid. I was talking to Dena Dove about it a few months ago. I think the thing to bear in mind is that HSBC are just trying to cover their arse when lending. Its ok for them to have actual security in the form of assets but they dont actually want to start reposessing houses if they can possibly avoid it in any way. So the next best thing to physical assets is them being confident in what they are lending for. That's by no means to say that Cabair and OAT are the only ones because they're the best but simply because they seem to be the ones who have gone to the bank and actively looked to help their students. Of course I'm not so naieve to think that it's all done out of the kindness of their heart, they are a business after all. But they've done it none the less.

As for the assessments...... I've only done the Cabair one but as far as I know OAT's is different. Yes the training that you receive is fundamentally the same and what your saying is exactly what I said when I found out how restrictive it all actually is.

It won't be long before BCFT and others open discussions with the bank if they haven't done so already. I can't se ehow they can afford not to!Particularly with HSBC agreeing to fund full ab-initio students on AES as opposed to only from ATPL's onward i.e not PPL and Hours.
:ok:

Groundloop
2nd Jan 2008, 07:58
Don't be fooled into thinking that integrated is going to give you that extra "edge" in getting the first job. Save your money.

Where does integrated come in to this discussion? Cabair at Bournemouth is modular.

chris-squire
2nd Jan 2008, 11:23
Good point. I think it came up because Cabair's Structured Modular Course (Airline Entry Scheme) is basically the same as integrated but 20k cheaper! :)

nibs2007
2nd Jan 2008, 12:30
Hi KeithTo

Hope you are well, i am thinking of starting my GS in May,you are more then welcome if you want to pairup.

Plus are you local to the school or moving down their. PM if you want to chat.

Speak to you soon.

NAbeel

phillpot
2nd Jan 2008, 17:02
I did everything at BCFT, ATPLs full time then CPL/MEIR cant recommend it enough, im not going to slag off Cabair because I didnt go there however Im local to Bournemouth and so only looked at schools on that airfield and I know I made the right choice.
The pass rate on the atps is very good with high averages mine was 93%, CPL/MEIR took just over three months with first series passes on both, im not alone on that either most of the guys I trained with will have very similar stories to tell.
Wherever you choose to go very best of luck for your training its bloody hard work but worth it. :ok:

Lima288
2nd Jan 2008, 20:14
Well, as well as learning all about NDB holds, NDB DME and ILS approaches, I have also learnt a bit today about funding for training!!! It does not make sense to me, but then I'm not a banker (!!)
chris-squire is spot on the money with regard to HSBC's decision that they will only lend money to ATPL students at Cabair or Oxford (or one other???)
So, if your training is dependent on funding from HSBC, then you may find your choice of training provider limited. I don't understand it, but that's why I want to fly the planes, not necessarily buy or finance them. :)
Anyway, it's all about making the right choice for you based on your circumstances and training requirements. I still stand my by comments on the quality of the BCFT product, and I'm sure Dena will be only to happy to tell you about the BCFT students who have gone on to secure placements with airlines and operators worldwide. That speaks for itself.
I'm off to read up for tomorrows trips!!! :eek:

will fly for food 06
3rd Jan 2008, 15:54
I too sing praises for BCFT. I was on the same courses as Lima288 and Phillpot. I only visited the Cabair Setup at Cranfield so cannot comment on the learning environment at bournemouth. Just pay them both a visit and get a back seat ride if you can. It may help you decide especially when you see all the flying that goes on at BCFT.

ulsterflyer
30th Jan 2008, 21:20
Phillpot, congrats on your ATPL's!

I was wondering how the job hunting is going with you guys who have been through BCFT. I am seriously considering the Jet Line course they offer. To me it makes much more sense paying ~£40k than £60k for the same licence, plus with all your comments on the school it sounds almost too good to be true.

will fly for food 06
31st Jan 2008, 07:55
Hi,
Phill had an interview a few days after he finished his IR. He is currently doing a type rating for a company. I had an interview for a different job while in the middle of my IR training but they didnt have any places at the time.

variometer
12th Feb 2008, 21:32
I can't speak highly enough of this school. I'm currently nearing the end of module 2. The instructional standard is very high, and all the guys are very determined to get you through with the best grades possible. I have been very pleased with my results from the 1st module. Thanks to Dave, Tony, Paul and Keith. No fancy power point presentations, no leather seats, or fancy classrooms, just an overhead projector, enthusiasm and an in depth knowledge of their subject matter.

Things that made this school my 1st choice:
Friendly welcome on first visit. Keith even let me sit in on one of Dave Webb's Radio Nav lectures before committing to the course.
Price is superb. Especially when compared to Oxford. (nearly 1/2 price)
Very high scoring exam passes in previous years.
Bournemouth is a great place to live, which is a bonus.

Good Luck,

Luke Roberts

Smell the Coffee
12th Feb 2008, 22:02
I'm interested in one of these schools.

Problem is...I need that HSBC funding.

Granted they only offer PSLs to students at OAA or CCAT, but has anyone used a bog-standard unsecured loan (say £25k) offered on similar conditions to the PSL i.e. deferred payments and similar interest rate? Would be interested to hear from anyone. The remaining £25k (or less) I could come up with on my own.

A shame that those that require HSBC don't have many options when it comes to FTOs...

nibs2007
15th Feb 2008, 10:04
:ok:Good Day All

Anyone out their Starting their GS in May with Cabair Bournemouth.

Pm if you want to get in touch.

Best Regards

Nabeel

m04scott
29th Jul 2008, 09:53
Any one got any up to date knoldge about Cabair?

Im looking to start on 1st September 08

Seem very friendly and helpful, tho have read some interestring coments on Cabair(merged) topic, is any of that still the case??

Thanks
M Scott

Oliver Wareham
14th Oct 2008, 16:07
I did my PPL with Bournemouth Flying Club back in 2005, then in the last year have completed everything from ATPL's right through to Commercial IR with BCFT!
I have been very happy with the facilities, aircraft and working environment at BCFT. Also the instructors have a friendly, yet professional approach to training, always available for any quiery.
I'm still in good contact with many ex-BCFT students, of which most are happily employed in the industry!
Of course it's a personal choice, BCFT or Cabbair, and I would never knock Cabbair, but from my experience I have been very impressed at BCFT and would totally reccomend them.

Feel free 2 contact me if you have any questions, quieries or problems and I will do my upmost to help out!!

Hope this helps =-)

HappyFran
14th Oct 2008, 19:12
I joined BCFT about 12 months ago, and have been through PPL, ATPL theory, and I am now into the CPL module.
Prior to joining I checked out a number of schools inc, Cabair at Bournemouth. I had favourable impressions of both Cabair and BCFT. At the end of day it came down to personal choice. I just felt more warm and fuzzy about BCFT.
Would highly recommend you come down to Bournemouth and visit both schools, talk to everyone, including Instructors, teachers and current students and form your own opinion, they are only 300m apart.
I am sure that Ollie or myself would be more than happy to talk you though are personal experience of BCFT. :O

Good Luck with your choice.....I am very happy with mine :}

mackey
14th Oct 2008, 19:38
Hi there,

Did the ATPL's and the MEP/IR at BCFT and could not recommend them higher.
The instructors were excellent and the facilities were very good. Although I studied there in 2002, they were only just up and running, but even so they delivered.
Now careering a 757-200 through the skies......god help us!!

M.

shgsaint
20th Oct 2008, 12:17
Hi guys,

I'm visiting BCFT and hopefully Cabair this Friday (24th Oct) to have a look around and talk about my training options. I'm now putting serious thought into achieving my ATPL and want to get a feel for the schools that are local to me.

Both schools seem to been given good feedback and I'm probably swaying towards BCFT at this time. They seem pretty reasonable on cost too. As soon as i've seen both camps I'll be in a better position to make a choice.

rogerthat777
20th Oct 2008, 14:35
I'm going to be doing a 1 week course at bournemouth, hurn airport (which is where both schools are) soon.

Without nicking the thread, which b&bs/hotels are recommended?
(cheaper the better) and close to the schools.

cheers