PDA

View Full Version : FAA to Canadian CPL

floppyjock
27th Dec 2007, 11:17
Hi folks

Im looking for somewhere in Alberta to convert my FAA CPL to a Canadian CPL. Any recommendations ?

Floppy

reaz
27th Dec 2007, 12:43
Hi ,

The following links from Transport Canada will give you detailed process of converting FAA CPL to Canadian CPL

http://www.tc.gc.ca/CivilAviation/general/personnel/USConversion.htm

http://www.tc.gc.ca/CivilAviation/general/circulars/gaac0601.htm#6_3

Thanks

floppyjock
27th Dec 2007, 22:38
Cheers for that reaz

Any idea where I can get any study manuals.

Floppy

reaz
28th Dec 2007, 12:47
Follow the instructions on this link,

http://www.tc.gc.ca/CivilAviation/general/exams/guides/tp12881/Examinations.htm

Culhanes study Materials could be a good reference.
Read the CAR thoroughly (Only required sections for CPL). That should be good enough.

CaptWUFF
26th Feb 2009, 18:15
I have an FAA CPL, FCC RT, and UK RT. I know how to conver to Canadain CPL, but in that process do I automatically get a Canadian RT or is that seperate? Can I get a Canadian RT based on my UK or FCC RT? HELP!

WUFF

TiredCRJDriver
5th Mar 2009, 09:32
Wuff,

I did the following:

1. FAA to Transport Canada License Conversion

The process begins by first doing the TC Medical. Doing so, generates a TC "File Number" that stays with you for the rest of your dealings with TC. The file number is usually received within 3-4 weeks of the medical.

The following link helps find a TC medical examiner:

http://www.tc.gc.ca/aviation/applications/cam/en/camsearch.asp?x_lang=e (http://www.tc.gc.ca/aviation/applications/cam/en/camsearch.asp?x_lang=e)

While waiting for the medical (unlike the FAA medical, TC mails your medical to you) get your FAA license verified. Fill the form contained in:

http://www.tc.gc.ca/wwwdocs/Forms/26-0702_0711-02_BO.pdf (http://www.tc.gc.ca/wwwdocs/Forms/26-0702_0711-02_BO.pdf)

You don't need to send any supporting documents for verification.

Say in touch with the TC office you mailed the above verification form to. Once they have received verification from the FAA (should take no longer than 3-4 weeks), head down/up to the TC office to appear for the Air Regulation Examination. Some TC offices administer the exam only on certain days of the week, and may need you to make an appointment.

When you pass the exam TC will begin the process of issuing the license right away IF you have all your papers in order. You will need:

1. Original FAA License (not the Temporary Paper), with the "English Proficiency" endorsement.
2. Original valid FAA Medical
3. Original Logbook(s) with: (i) BFR and (ii) IPC
4. Passport (for proof of age and citizenship)

Try "Culhane". I used them for the ATP and passed.

http://www.acceleratedaviation.com/ (http://www.acceleratedaviation.com/)

Industry Canada RT License

The Canadian RT is not issued by TC but Industry Canada. Most Canadian Flight Schools administer the Industry Canada test, which is a written exam.

Study the publication contained in the link below. The questions are taken directly from this Study Guide. This is the only study material you need!

http://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/smt-gst.nsf/vwapj/ric21e.pdf/$FILE/ric21e.pdf (http://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/smt-gst.nsf/vwapj/ric21e.pdf/$FILE/ric21e.pdf)

I appeared for the RT exam at the Brampton Flight Centre.

www.bramfly.ca (http://www.bramfly.ca/)

Industry Canada mails the RT license only to a Canadian address. Make sure you know someone in Canada who can receive the RT license for you, and forward the same.

2. Industry Canada (RT) to WPC, India Conversion

Once you have obtained the TC CPL (or ATPL) and Industry Canada Radio License, submit BOTH (with ALL the other requested documents, as specified on the WPC Application Form) to the Wireless Planning Commission (WPC), India. If all goes well, WPC issues you an Indian RT!

One has to jump through these hoops because of a new rule passed by the WPC in Feb 2008. Simply put, the rule affects those who had foreign RTs. It now require them to appear for Part I (oral) section of the WPC RT exam, if their Pilot License (CPL/ATPL) and RT are not issued by the same country.

If one has both his Pilot License and RT issued by the same Commonwealth country, you may still convert the foreign RT to an Indian RT.

Hope the above information is useful.

[email protected]

sapperkenno
6th Mar 2009, 15:23
While waiting for the medical (unlike the FAA medical, TC mails your medical to you) get your FAA license verified.

Do I need the "5802-" number in order to send the license verification form off? -It says I do on the form...

I had my class 1 medical on monday here in Arizona, and am planning an initial trip up to B.C at the end of this month. I doubt I'll get everything sorted before then, but my plan is to return to AZ to do a multi-engine Commercial with Instrument, then go back to Canada and look for work as a flight instructor (and complete all the conversions/flight instructor rating).

I hold FAA CFI/II certificates, and have been told that as there is no simple conversion agreement for these, a couple of flights and a good look at the regs etc to get me up to speed will allow me to be signed off (by a Class 1) for the TC flight instructor test. Has anyone done this before?!

I'm a British citizen and don't have a green card to work here in the US (and no reasonable options to make this happen anytime soon), so Canada seems the better option for now. I got lucky that I have a ready and willing flight school here in the US who would happily hire me, but the immigration thing isn't working out. I don't expect an easy ride in Canada (ie, turn up and get a job) or know much about the industry up there, and certainly don't wanna be stepping on anyone's toes... Is there instructing work available (for a rookie limey instructor with only 350hrs TT, and no "dual-given") in and around BC?

Does anyone happen to know: If I initially convert my single-engine FAA Commercial/Instrument to Transport Canada, then later get an FAA multi-engine Commercial/Instrument... do I need to do the whole process again, or will they automatically add multi to my Canadian license??

Thanks and regards,
Lewis

dannyjet
6th Mar 2009, 16:57
Just so I don't create another thread, and with due respect to the original poster, as I have a question that is quite similar.

I've browsed TC's website but I can't find any information about having the canadian documents (CPL MIFR) and being abroad for a about year. I flew no more than 20 hours during 2008 which was all for convalidation purposes in this other country. I've done my medical in such country and it is current until now.

But what if I go back to Canada? Does the time (even little) that I did here count to keep me current in Canada? Does the medical here count? I am pretty sure I would need re-training in the flying part, as in just a ride or two. But is there anything I should be worried about not being current?

If you could also point me to a link at TC other than just explaining whatever you know, I'd appreciate it a lot too, thanks!

CaptWUFF
7th Mar 2009, 06:39
Lewis,

You need the medical number in order to do the verification form. Further, you must submit the verification 90 Days before meeting with the Transport canada to have your license verified.

Regards,
Capt WUFF

floppyjock
24th Mar 2009, 16:32
Hi Folks

I passed the CPL conversion exam in January. I was giving the pass paper and I was told my licence would be sent on to me but Ive still not recieved anything yet.

Does it normaly take so long.

Floppy

rigpiggy
24th Mar 2009, 16:57
Yes, btw do you have right to work in canada, otherwise this all may be moot

Speedbird48
29th Mar 2009, 20:20
I did the ATP conversion (FAA to CC) in January also, and the licence arrived last week.

Quite a bit longer than when the Candians come down to the US for the conversion.

Speedbird 48.

floppyjock
30th Mar 2009, 17:07
Cheers Speedbird thats good to know.

Floppy

varigflier
31st Mar 2009, 04:17
Do they mail it to a US address or just a Canadian address? I am about to start the process(FAA to TC).

VF

rams832002
31st Mar 2009, 13:38
I am ramanakumar from India , at present i have FAA Cpl with( multi rating + IR) me .I would like to convert the FAA to TCCA license.

For that I went through the following web link for reference.

Advisory Circular (AC) No. 400-001 Issue 1 (http://www.tc.gc.ca/CivilAviation/IMSdoc/ACs/400/401-001.htm#e6_1)

I am at the first step of the process .I have following doubts regarding the process and I have put them the questions format.

1) I have valid FAA medical which I just renewed two weeks back in India, Do i need to Submit the photocopy of the FAA medical or do i need to take a fresh canadian Class 1 for getting the file number, if i can get the file number using the FAA medicals can u please explain the process in a more elaborate way like what i need to send and where i need to send?

2) After getting the File number, i need to send application for the conversion process to which transport canada centre and please guide me how to fix and appointment with TCC officer and where i can take up the air law and procedures written exam?

3) if i have my documents all in place like said by tiredcrjdriver..will i get my Canadian CPL rgt have the original license...beacuse i found this link which says it will another 90 days to get the license...please help me...

Harv's Air Pilot Training, Flight Training School FAA Pilot Licence conversions to Transport Canada Pilot Licences (http://www.harvsair.com/site/information/faa-pilot-licence-conversions-to.html)

it will be really helpful for me if u can provide some details regarding the same.

Thanks in advance.

Ramanakumar.

TiredCRJDriver
31st Mar 2009, 15:12
VF,

Transport Canada will mail the license to you anywhere in the world.

[email protected]

varigflier
11th Apr 2009, 18:02
Thanks CRJDriver. I just started the process. Your info was really helpfull.

VF

SuperflyTNT
18th Dec 2009, 20:23
Hello,

This thread is almost dead but yet, I need some help for the doubts I have. I plan on giving my FAA to TC CPL conversion next month. Apart from letting me know where I can find myself a TC AIM on the internet, if that is possible, could anyone of you out there tell me if I need to take a separate exam for a multi rating?

I have a FAA Commercial Multi Engine Instrument License. I plan on converting it to a TC Commercial Multi Engine License. I do NOT want an IR for my TC license. So I just want to know if I need to be writing an extra exam or not?! Any help will be highly appreciated. Thanks

TNT

shwet2000
21st Dec 2009, 05:34
Hey CRJ Driver,

I have a FAA CPL-SEL....When i fill the Verification form it says desired ratings...obviously i cant fill in MEL....i then give the FAACA exam...pass them.....then TC will also issue me a CPL-SEL certificate......but later in March this year i will be doing my Multi as well from Florida.....do i have to then go through the same process just to get my Multi Endorsed on the Canadian Licence...

koolchaos3188
23rd Dec 2009, 23:40
I just came back from toronto last week, and cleared the air law paper.
i have a FAA AMEL n on the verification form i checked the commercial and multi engine and not instrument rating.
and i would say rather than waiting for the verification from transport canada,just go directly to toronto office and give the exam and fill up the verification form there itself after you clear the exam( you can only do this if you have your medical file with you).
for any other info you can contact me directly on my email id-"[email protected]"

koolchaos3188
23rd Dec 2009, 23:43
I just came back from toronto last week, and cleared the air law paper.
i have a FAA AMEL n on the verification form i checked the commercial and multi engine and not instrument rating.
and i would say rather than waiting for the verification from transport canada,just go directly to toronto office and give the exam and fill up the verification form there itself after you clear the exam( you can only do this if you have your medical file with you).
for any other info you can contact me directly on my email id-"[email protected]"

theseaduck
28th Dec 2009, 11:08
Why are so many yanks trying to get cdn licences? There are not enough jobs to go around for nationals let a lone outsiders. No one is going to give me a work permit to fly in the states even though I could have a job inside a couple weeks. Stop being so picky about who you fly for what type of plane it is or what type of operation it is.

Go fly jumpers if you want to be picky, you will be in large 2 crew turbo props at 250h and PIC on -6s or 208s before you hit 1000h.

PatagonianProud
13th Jan 2010, 01:29
im here now (trying) to get a Canadian Atpl but it would have been simpler and cheaper to do it in the states. USA = medical, 1 check ride and 1 written exam. Canada = medical, samra, saron , inrat and now ive been told i need to take the cpl written. i dont understand... CPL ? when in Canada you dont even need a cpl you can jump straight from PPL to atp and I already hold a US Cpl. And here the licence isnt free like the states. dont
forget men that once you do get a canadian licence you have to keep coming up every 2 years and do a IPC to renew instrument rating and even though you paid Dr singh the 125 bucks for the medical you still get sent a bill from TC for another 55 bucks everytime you renew. (some nonsense about their doctors have to process the paperwork):mad:

SuperflyTNT
17th Jan 2010, 19:37
how long does it take to give the transport canada exam?? is one day enough for giving the exam and all the other paper work n stuff ?

PatagonianProud
19th Jan 2010, 00:29
hey superfly
what exam are you referring to?
i just got my canadian cpl/ifr/me/b737
i wanted atpl but lack instrument time (not just ifr plan)
in canada us to can tests are 35 bucks
apiece so cpl and ifr was 70 for tests
and the licence was 80 + 30 + 30 + 30 (each rating ifr,me and ifr)
= 170 plus medical 125 so total was $365 but doesnt include
rental cars and hotels at 70 a night ! and thats the cheapest
i could find..
you could do both exams in one day they are just 20 questions
each but i also did the samra and saron which are 105 each
and are for the atpl. i have to get some more hood time (like
i mentioned above for atpl)
btw can to usa would run 200 for tests (2 x 100) and 80 for medical
and licence in states is free so 280 vs 365...
:ok:

SuperflyTNT
30th Jan 2010, 16:27
Thanks a lot Proud. I did my FAACA exam sometime back. I used the study guide available on PilotTraining.ca : Learn to Fly! : PilotTraining.ca (http://www.pilottraining.ca) it costs $75 (canadian), it's pretty helpful and also has 3 sample test papers to work out. If you don't want to spend the money then you'll have to stick to studying from the CAR's. That will help too I guess. I scored a good 90% in the exam. It takes one morning to give the exam. I would suggest you complete the verification process of your FAA license and only then go for the exam. It takes about 4 - 5 weeks, took about 3 weeks for me.

I applied for the CPL + Multi Engine Rating. So it costs, $80 (issuance of license booklet) + $35 ( FAACA - FAA to Canadian CPL conversion) + $30 (Multi Engine Rating). It's just one exam that you have to give. You need to have a multi engine rating on your FAA license though. If you want a Instrument Rating you'll have to pay an extra $30 and write the Instrument Rating exam too. I din't take that up, since I didn't need it.

shwet2000
5th Feb 2010, 04:46
I am really confused.....

IS A CANADIAN RT AND A CANADIAN CPL STILL ENOUGH TO GET THE INDIAN RT(CONVERSION)?

People are giving mixed opinions and answers. No one is really sure. I got the Canadian Medical done 2 weeks back as well here in Mumbai. I am waiting for my file no. Then i would be heading for my recency to USA and then to Canada for the Canadian RT and CPL.

Some people say the WPC is not accepting Canadian RT as well now.:ugh:

koolchaos3188
13th Apr 2010, 03:13
wpc is accepting canadian rtr n cpl coz its a common wealth nation, who ever is telling that they are not accepting canadian rtr, they are unaware,

i just got my canadian rt converted directly to indian rtr, coz i have canada cpl and rt both...

Sonam
29th Apr 2010, 03:10
So that means that if you get a Canadian CPL and RT, you do not sit for any of the Indian RT Exams or do you still have to do the First Round of Written Questions for Indian RT.

Did you go to any school for this process and is it easy or hard to do this?

Can you recommend me any good school or agent that can help me with the FAA to Canadian CPL and RT so I too can get my Indian RT.

Thanks

rajeshmarndi
30th Apr 2010, 12:50
can i verify my faa cpl license for conversion into canada from India. So after the verification is done i can go to canada for the air law exam. So that I don't have to wait there for 3-4 weeks.

Thanks.

Peter PanPan
13th Jun 2010, 19:09
Hi everyone, I am looking into converting from FAA to TC at CPL/IR level and just want to know if you guys strongly recommend taking one of those online courses, for instance pilottraining.ca offers a CPL/IR conversion course for 350usd, though it's not the obscenely prohibitive fee that JARland CAA's have used us to, it's still money. I read earlier on this thread that just reading up the CAR's would be sufficient, is that so?
I would really appreciate to hear what those of you that have gone through the same conversion process have to say.
Safe Flights

ramkiarchu
23rd Jun 2012, 04:38
hi,i want to convert my faa cpl to canadian cpl. i have an faa cpl multiengine land, instument private priveladges, single engine land! do i have to give faaca and faaia exam or only faaca? if i dont get an instrument rating, will wpc create problem in converting my licence! because my faa has instrument rating and my canadian cpl does not have! or will dgca create any problem?
also how do i go about doing the verificatin! i do have a canadian medical in category I! can i send my verification form via courier to them? if yes, do i have to pay the fees, and how do i pay them the fees and how much? or can i pay the fees when i go to give the exam? will they start the procees of verification without the fees?
also where did u go for your canadian rt exam, i mean which flying club?
what study material did u study for the conversion exam?