PDA

View Full Version : Who will command the AI 777s?

gb777
26th Dec 2007, 10:38
Who will command the AI 777s?

Manisha Singhal / Mumbai December 23, 2007

Air India’s fourth Boeing 777-200LR, scheduled for delivery in the second week of December, has not reached the airline. A shortage of commanders for the new generation aircraft will probably delay it further.

“Air-India could not take deliveries of two of its 777LRs from the manufacturer on time because it did not have enough pilots to fly these aircraft,” said a pilot with the airline on condition of anonymity.

The national carrier finds itself in a situation where deliveries are underway for its Rs 35,000-crore order for 69 aircraft (eight B777-200LRs, 16 777–300ERs, 27 787 Dreamliners and 18 B737-800s). Air-India has only 22 commanders to fly the B777 family of aircraft.

Air-India refused to confirm the number. “The entire delivery schedule for the 777LRs has been awkwardly planned by Air-India. There is an acute shortage of pilots as well as engineers trained for the aircraft,” sources close to the developments said, adding: “The airline is now into a major training spree both for its pilots as well as its engineers. But it is impacting the operational schedules of the airline.”

Till date, Air-India has got three 777LRs and two 777ERs with more immediate deliveries planned. For any fleet to be optimally utilized, each aircraft needs to fly roughly 12 hours a day. As against this, Air-India is flying the current fleet of 777LRs only for 10 hours. In other words, these aircraft are operationally underutilized. The reason is shortage of pilots.

The airline will be getting five of the 777LRs it plans to fly to US from Delhi next year and later from Bangalore to San Francisco.

Every additional delivery will impact the resource crunch with the airline thereby affecting flight schedules and reducing the optimal utilisation of the aircraft. “Commanders flying 777 aircraft currently command a premium and are in demand from airlines all over the world. Since a pilot is certified on the aircraft type and the 777 are a new generation aircraft, there is a scarcity of these pilots world over,” said an official with Air-India commenting on the shortage.

The airline in an e-mail response said, “There is a requirement of 12 commanders required for a B777-200LR aircraft to facilitate its non-stop flights. The B-777- 300ER which has a stop over route needs only six commanders. Since the cockpit equipment of the B777-300ER and the B777–200LR is 90 per cent same, the commanders are inter changeable between the two. We cannot provide a bifurcation as to the number of commanders flying the LR. We have a conversion exercise in place for the pilots to get a license to fly both these aircraft.”

http://www.business-standard.com/common/storypage.php?autono=308438&leftnm=1&subLeft=0&chkFlg=

Nevrekar
27th Dec 2007, 04:47
With the age 60 rule in the US now being no more, none of the
B-777/B747/A320/NG guys will be looking for jobs in the ME or India anymore. There will be big "sucking sound" as many return back to jobs which were not attainable earlier due to FAA age rules. I think it will be felt all over the world.

Phil Squares
27th Dec 2007, 05:20
There will be big "sucking sound" as many return back to jobs which were not attainable earlier due to FAA age rules. I think it will be felt all over the world.

Please note, the age 60 ruling isn't retroactive. So, there will be no mass defection back to their former carriers!

av8r76
27th Dec 2007, 07:28
Agreed... but having flown with quite a few of the gentlemen affected by the rule, they would rather be home with family than on foreign shores.

A couple of guys are back home for an xmas break with interviews lined up for F/O positions. They will definitely be hired back at their original positions but guys are fed up of screwed up rosters and of being home sick amongst other things.

That is definitely the sentiment in my carrier.

Gp Capt Bhanerjee
27th Dec 2007, 08:32
"Air India" and "planning" should never be mentioned in one sentence!

Left Wing
27th Dec 2007, 08:43
Gp Capt Bhanerjee

AMEN ! sad day to be an Indian when the aviation intl' world talks about air india..... :{:{:{:{:{

Fly747
27th Dec 2007, 10:01
I think it's only retroactive as far as getting the old job and seniority back. An over 60 can still get a captain position with another US carrier.

Nevrekar
27th Dec 2007, 12:19
It's all about available options. Yes it's true the rule is not retroactive, but atleast you can still work for an airline, and if you go to a start-up or non-union carrier then you can be a DEC or be upgraded based on your experience. The Age 60 guys now have options that were non-existent previously. Contract flying on single status puts a tremendous demand on an individual and their respective families. Most would be willing to go back home
for less pay just for improvement in QOL issues. I am sure the "Honey do" list
gets pretty long after a 2 month absence!!

farrari
28th Dec 2007, 01:55
Not so much guys retuning but not as many coming:cool:

timbob
29th Dec 2007, 01:28
Many over-60's would take a significant paycut to remain in the U.S. and not commute overseas, since the tax status is the same or even worse for the international commuter (ie wage income in the U.S. as opposed to contractor or 1099 income overseas, the latter triggers double social-security for example). When Korea pulls down age 60, which they have stated they would do following any U.S. change, the game is over in India unless they up the ante....what I mean is that the Korean commuter contracts appear to be much more palatable to Canadians or Americans, at least, than the current Air India offerings...I can only envision the Indians buying type-ratings for 767 pilots, for example, to staff the 777 left seat unless they change their current position.....""Me Tarzan, You Jane!!!!".

NGFellow
29th Dec 2007, 10:56
I think you will see a marked improvement in the package offered in 2008 for Captain's on the B777/B747/B737NG/A330/A340/A320. There will be increased competition amongst carriers to grab as many Captain's as they can. It's starting to happen and once the age 60 dust settles it will become more apparent. For the contract Capt it will be a win-win situation. Pretty soon you will be bombarded with job offers. And--you can be picky. The Middle-East is going to have an advantage in that they can offer more in terms of financial incentives. However even India will have to step up, because it is cheaper to pay a Capt $10,000-$15,000 as a base pay rather than to park airplanes and cancel flights.

GlueBall
29th Dec 2007, 15:05
Believe this if you want to: There is no "shortage" of experienced, qualified commanders; there is only a shortage of pay [MONEY/CASH] that is being offered for expats to come fly your birds. In order to attract retired [ages 60-64] and semi retired [ages 55-60] current and qualified commanders, an airline would have to offer something more than USD $12,000 after tax or tax free per month to come to a place like India. Get it?

kotakota
29th Dec 2007, 17:35
I suppose it is impossible really , but can the airlines not come up with a package based on the contractors home country ie in his home currency , tickets to his home base etc etc. At least people would not be sitting around fretting about exchange rates and could make some sound financial planning based on that ?
Along with a decent wage in the first place , the turnover would drop dramatically I am sure.
Otherwise , the desert parking lots are going to do great business with brand new hulls being stored !!

farrari
22nd Jan 2008, 05:33
Any further news re AI

timbob
25th Jan 2008, 21:06
From Rishworth Aviation Limited last week: 777 Commanders have three contract options: 1) 7 days on/6 days off based at JFK (New York), $10,000 plus $1,000 per diem. 2) 7 consecutive days off per month based in Mumbai, but commuting is limited, $10,500 plus $1,000 per diem. 3) 14 consecutive days off every 2 months, commuting paid, based in Mumbai, $11,000 plus $1,000 per diem. Annual contract bonus of $12,000, $13,000, and $15,000 for years 1 through 3. Options are on a first-come basis.

boeingdream787
28th Jan 2008, 17:12
Wonder if the above holds true for Indian captains too....??!!

timbob
28th Jan 2008, 17:31
Understand the AI crews make quite a bit more....particularly with the USD exchange rate in the tank.

vagabond 47
28th Jan 2008, 18:21
Subject to anyPolitical interference,quite probably the Captains......OOPS again, I meant the commanders.
Just MAYBE no self respecting jet Capt wants to be a "Pyjama Pilot" all for a "pittance" more.
If you are asleep in the Bunk during daylight hours can you Log it as IFR,
"Im Fok..in Ratarsed".

zzzzzzzz.

timbob
29th Jan 2008, 00:56
Good One! Dozing for Dollars?

77.shailesh
29th Jan 2008, 13:10
hi ,
Our company is offering to go on Airbus 340-500.330,& at present flying A320 is it good to go for command or go on wide body & then go directly go for command on wide body.Pls advice if any on wide b

timbob
29th Jan 2008, 20:26
For your professional development only: (Family, lifestyle, income, etc. are a secondary consideration). 1st stay on A320 in any seat until you have 2500 to 3000 hours. Why? Short sectors and lots of terminal area operations...think of any simulator training you've had...almost all of it is within 30 miles of an airport. If you go to widebody F/O you will see long sectors and few terminal operations...skills will take longer to develop. 2nd take A320 command, if only for one year. Why? Ground operations and taxi skills are easier learned on a narrowbody. It is a lot easier having 4 flight attendants yapping at you on the crew bus than 20, about your not so smooth runway turnoff/gate arrival. 3rd take any widebody seat. Once you have the terminal operations mastered, any difference in long-range, enroute procedures are easily learned, you will feel much more comfortable, and you will instill confidence in your fellow crewmembers. I would give the same advice to any 737 pilot with option to go to the 777. Nice to have choices, the future looks very bright for you. Timbob.