PDA

View Full Version : Cabair + Bachelor

Coldwing
24th Dec 2007, 22:31
Anyone tried it or know anyone that did it?

Thanks and have a Merry Christmas!

:}

AlphaMale
24th Dec 2007, 22:39
Are you on about the degree via Cabair? as seen here (http://www.cabair.com/degree/index.htm).

Coldwing
24th Dec 2007, 22:52
Yes, it is, AlphaMale.

If anyone knows that other schools does the same, please tell me who they're, thanks!

luke10689
25th Dec 2007, 09:22
yeh im on the kingston course with cabair at the moment send me a message if you want to know anything

matt_hooks
29th Dec 2007, 18:27
Kingston are doing the course now as well? Well flip me over and bugger me sideways!

Kingston aero eng degree is really good, where is the degree course run? Is it from Roehampton Vale or Penryn Road?

luke10689
30th Dec 2007, 23:34
the full course atpl and degree is ran from cabair bournemouth

4KBeta
4th Jan 2008, 08:32
You are slightly wrong with that, I have friends studying the CabAir fATPL + Degree course.

The flying being done at Cranfield and the studying being done at Buckingham.

I believe that OAT also offer some sort of foundation degree course.

Groundloop
4th Jan 2008, 09:18
Cabair are involved in three degree courses:-

Honours degrees:-
City Uni with fATPL at Cranfield or Bournemouth
Buck Chilterns with fATPL at Cranfield

Foundation degree:-
Kingston with fATPL at Bournemouth

kpd
4th Jan 2008, 16:29
do you have to pass the cabair assesment BEFORE both the bucks and Kingston Degree??
Regarding the Kingston Foundation Degree as the theory seems to take place in Bournemouth where do you stay???

Keith.Williams.
5th Jan 2008, 09:25
The entry requirements for the degree courses are specified by the University. BCUC and Kingston have made slightly different decisions.

Passing the assessment is mandatory for entry to the BCUC course.

Passing the assessment is not mandatory, but is strongly recommended for the Kingston course. (If you don't have what it takes to become a pilot then it would be better to know this before you spend any money on pilot training).

To gain access to HSBC Career Development loans for any pilot training course you must first pass the assessment.

For the BCUC course only the Groundschool and (if you wish) the Commercial flying are done at Bournemouth.

For the Kingston course the entire Foundation Degree with the exception of the PPL flying is done Bournemouth.

When studying at Bournemouth students live out in the same range of local accommodation addresses that are used by our standard modular course students.

Adios
5th Jan 2008, 13:08
Coldwing,

You asked if other schools do this. Oat's Integrated course includes a Foundation Degree in Air Transport Management from the same Uni that does the three year Modular fATPL with Bachelor's degree at Cabair, Buck's New Uni. I can't weigh up all the pros and cons for you, but here are a few thoughts.

A full Bachelor's is better than a Foundation degree, but the Oaties can top up to a Bachelor or Masters later while working.

Modular is usually a less expensive way to train, but when you turn it into three years of full time study with all the meal, accommodation and living expenses, you might as well do an integrated course. The price will be similar, but you'll finish the integrated Oat course in half the time and you could probably finish the Bachelor's top up in a year and still be where you'd be with Cabair, though most likely already with 9-12 months of working as an FO under your belt.

Finally, there's no extra charge for the FD on the Oat course, while the Cabair route adds Uni tuition to the cost. I suppose the Cabair route also adds the possibility of student loans to cover the Uni tuition fees though.

There will be many more things to consider, so a visit to both school's is probably the best way to discover all of the factors that you need to consider before making a decision. I would be very curious to know the total budget estimate for each of these routes. It is pretty well known that the Oat integrated course requires £75-80K, but can anyone post what the all-in cost, PPL to fATPL and Bachelor's Degree from Bucks New Uni on the Cabair Modular course is? Please include living expenses for the three years and during the PPL and Hours building as well. I suppose we'd also need to know what the Bachelor's topup costs on the Oat route to get a good comparison of the budgets. Finally, budget alone should not be the deciding factor, as each school has its own set of pros and cons and everybody needs to choose the school they think fits them best, not just the least expensive route from A to B.

Genghis the Engineer
5th Jan 2008, 13:25
Just a point about (British University) degrees here:

Foundation degree = 1 year full time study (normally), equivalent to 2-3 A levels. It is a degree in name only, no employer regards it as such.

Bachelors degree = 3 years full time study, after A levels or a Foundation degree. In the UK these are usually honours degrees.

Masters degree = 1 years full time study, after a Bachelors degree - or occasionally and exceptionally for a very experienced professional who gets exempted the Bachelors requirement.

To refer to "topping up whilst working" is perhaps a bit optimistic for most people.

G

Keith.Williams.
5th Jan 2008, 14:41
Genghis I think that you are understating the requirements for Foundation Degrees a little bit.

The following text is taken directly form the UCAS website:

What are foundation degrees?
They are an intermediate, work-related higher education qualification. They are designed in conjunction with employers to meet skills shortages at the higher technician and associate professional levels.

They are offered by universities in partnership with higher education colleges and further education colleges. Flexible study methods make them available to people already in work, unemployed people, or those wanting to embark on a career change. On successful completion foundation degree graduates can revisit their career options, and may choose to progress to further professional qualifications or to an honours degree.

How long is a foundation degree?
Depending on the subject of study, a full-time course takes two years. Part-time is often three to four years pro-rata - your local higher education provider can give you more information.

In order to obtain university validation for the Kingston/Cabair course we had to make it a two year full time course.

You are of course correct that a Foundtaion Degree is not the same as a Bachelors Degree.

But the option to convert the Kingston/Cabair Foundation Degree into a full Honours BSC is available. This can be done by 1 one year full time course or a two year part time course.

jordiebaby
5th Jan 2008, 14:43
I was on the bucks degree course with the ground school training based at cranfield. i cant give an exact figure, but i remember a friend and i trying to work out how much the three year course, including the course fees, the exams,ground school, flights to orlando two years running, living costs, the flying itself, having to pay the uni fees the year when we arent even on site, ir, mcc, and all the little extras... it comes out to something along the lines of 72000.
so to be honest, speaking as someone who left the degree after the second year, i'm now finishing everything at cranfield, i wish i had just opted for the integrated course. would probably be finished by now and would have paid practically the same amount.

Genghis the Engineer
5th Jan 2008, 15:11
Keith - apologies and I stand corrected.

I was confusing the foundation year (1 year, offered by many universities as a route into an undergraduate degree) and a foundation degree which came into being in 2001, takes 2 years and seems to be replacing the older and similarish HND - which can also often be topped up to a Bachelors degree in a year of full time study.

G

David Horn
5th Jan 2008, 16:25
If you want to discuss the Foundation Degree from BCUC you get as part of the OAT integrated course, feel free to send me a PM.

Adios
5th Jan 2008, 22:38
It sounds like there are two options at Cabair; a Foundation Degree from Kingston Uni and an Honours degree from Bucks New Uni. Is this correct?

Keith.Williams.
5th Jan 2008, 22:44
They can both produce an honours degree if you want them to.

With BCUC you do a 3 year honours degree

With Kingston you do a 2 year foundation degree, then you can go on to do a futher year full time at Kingston to make it an honours degree if you wish. Or if you get into airline work immediately you can do the conversion by 2 years distance learning.

Opens days for both degrees are being carried out over the next few months to enable interested parties to learn more and ask any questions they wish.

Genghis the Engineer
6th Jan 2008, 10:10
What exactly are these degrees in, and do they have much relevance to somebody not pursuing a flying career?

G

jordiebaby
6th Jan 2008, 13:12
The bcuc 3 year degree is titled, BA(Hons) Air Transport with Commercial Pilot Training. The first year is based in High Wycombe, where you complete 5 modules:
Airline and Airport Ground Handling
Introduction to the Air Transport Industry
Airline and Airport Marketing
Health and Safety
and the fifth is considered on the completion of the 7 PPL exams.
You complete 15 hours of flying time at either the Denham school of flying, or Wycombe air centre, and then in the summer of the first year head out to the wonderful OFT to complete the rest of the ppl.
Second year is ATPL ground school either at Cranfield, Bournemouth, or OFT, and after the 6 months, its another trip out to OFT for hours building, multi engine, Night qualification and IMC.
Third year is back in High Wycombe to complete a dissertation in your chosen subjects and i believe 4 other modules. (I'm not definite as I never completed this part)
Then to finish everything off after graduation in the summer of the third year its back to Bournemouth to complete the IR and MCC.
The degree is definetly something good to have if a career in the cockpit turns out to be a bad decision, you will have to right qualifications for a management position with an airline so its something to fall back on if god forbid something were to happen!

Genghis the Engineer
7th Jan 2008, 08:20
Has anybody actually obtained an airliner management position on the back of one of these degrees then?

G

jordiebaby
7th Jan 2008, 11:36
these courses are very new, so noone has actually completed one yet. the first one started in 2005 so they will be completed by december of this year. the guinea pigs are yet to look for jobs

Groundloop
7th Jan 2008, 14:53
the first one started in 2005

Actually the City University course started in 1999 and the vast majority of graduates are flying - so haven't got management positions (haven't needed to!). A number did get jobs in ground handling at first as they graduated in the downturn after 9/11.

However, from the Air Transport Studies degree, which shares modules with the fATPL degree, graduates have obtained positions in flight ops in BA, Jeppesons, etc and one is now a senior manager with Air Atlanta.

nibi786
11th Jan 2008, 19:19
Hello All - Esp Jordie baby - bet you can guess who this is :P HA

im on the degree program atm, and as jordie states first year you do several modules + PPL, second year is ATPL+Hourbuilding+CPL. Third Year (and a correction to what weas previously mentioned) consists of 6 modules ( spread over 2 semesters) and a dissertation......After which you go complete your fATPL,MCC and airline orienteering course.

The degree is good. It has variety in subjects and makes for a good fall back should anything go wrong. Its also good for progressing as a pilot within your chosen airline - leading to management positions etc. Overall, although nobody has completed it the degree with job in hand (which will hopefully happen by the end of summer), these types of degrees have been prooven with great success worldwide. Given that British Degrees hold a substantial worth, these programs are all very good and it comes down to you as an individual to decide which is best suited. Any Questions? PM ME :P

Nibi ;)

jordiebaby
12th Jan 2008, 23:00
hey niblet!;)