PDA

View Full Version : Mr Pun VC

Tigs2
23rd Dec 2007, 00:32
I have got Mr Pun VC and his wife and friends coming around for Christmas lunch, as they were going to be sat on their own. I thought it good to show them what a christmas family lunch meant. I was going to arrange a few christmas cards for him, which i have done, but for obvious security reasons could not post my mailing address here. So thought if anyone wishes to mail him a christmas greeting or e card here then i will make sure that after the Queens speech (bless him he posted her and Prince Charles a card yesterday!) I will sit and run through them with him.

Up to you folks really!. He is in good health with eyesight in both eyes now, and a hearing aid that is doing the trick. I watched him give THE most inspirational talk to a bunch of school kids recently, who were hanging on his every word!! Since he has got his health back he is truly incredible. He was telling them stories in a way that you remember only your grandad could have done, and reinforcing that they are the hope and future of tomorrow! You could have heard a pin drop, and then they were all clapping and cheering. Seemed to bring smoke in the eyes and some strange lump in the throat!

Merry christmas folks. I will send you his message on the 25th!

Doha_lad
23rd Dec 2007, 02:45
Tigs2

Please pass on seasons greetings to Mr & Mrs Pun VC from myself and Mrs Lad.

DL:D

Shadwell the old
23rd Dec 2007, 03:43
Mr Pun VC sir,

I would love to be able to meet you and speak to you, and would no doubt be as entranced as the children you spoke to recently, as you related your stories. As I read Tigs2's post on this thread, I was clearly taken by a sudden attack of hay fever that made my eyes fog. This is strange as I have never suffered from hay fever in the past.

May I wish you and yours a very merry christmas and a healthy, happy and prosperous new year. You rightly deserve to reside in our country.

Much love and respect

Shadwell the old

Roland Pulfrew
23rd Dec 2007, 08:20
Tigs2

Count me in. My best wishes to Mr Pun, his family and colleagues this Christmas (and also to you and yours). I would love to have seen his presentation, we could do with more inspirational speakers at schools (counts me out) to try an ween the youf off celebridee "culture".

I think what you are doing this Christmas is a very generous gesture and, if I am allowed to say so in these PC times, even invokes the true spirit of Christmas). :D

olddog
23rd Dec 2007, 08:35
TIGS
Thank you for showing true British hospitality and the true spirit of Christmas.
Human kindness can show the way to true friendship.
Mr PUN
Best wishes to you and your family. You are a true hero and served this country with pride and distinction alongside your fellow countrymen. May you enjoy life and provide inspiration to others for many years to come.

Old Dog

Chugalug2
23rd Dec 2007, 09:18
Happy Christmas Mr Pun VC, Sir! It is this country that is the beneficiary of your presence and you are an inspiration to us all, and will be for many years yet, I am sure.
Tigs, well done! You make amends for the shabby way that Mr Pun VC and his fellow Gurkhas were set to be treated by this shabby government. Thank you for all you have done and continue to do to regain our sense of what is right and what is wrong. A Happy Christmas to you and yours!
Respect to you both,
Chug

Art Field
23rd Dec 2007, 09:58
I would only be repeating Chugalug2 if I put down what I had intended to say but I would like to add my name to every word he has written,

Art

goudie
23rd Dec 2007, 10:25
Wonderful gesture and story Tigs. Loved to have seen him talking to the kids.
Got to know the Gurkhas in the early'70's when Britannias were used to fly them home on leave from Hong Kong. So polite and dignified and looking very smart in their Blazers. They earned every ones respect.
Have a very Merry Christmas Mr & Mrs Pun.

Jackonicko
23rd Dec 2007, 10:28
Seasons greetings and profound thanks for all that you have done for our country.

Please may I try to apologise for the shabby and inhospitable treatment that you have received from 'official Britain', and assure you that every PPRuNer would love to swap places with Tigs2 and offer you their hospitality.

skua
23rd Dec 2007, 10:32
Tigs
what a lovely gesture. I am sure the warmth of his welcome will more than make up for the p*** poor miserable weather we are having. I hope you all have a great Christmas.

Skua

brickhistory
23rd Dec 2007, 12:05
Well done from over here for hosting the gentleman, Tigs.

Bravery trancends borders. :ok:

Raincheck
23rd Dec 2007, 12:14
Tigs

Merry Christmas to you. What you are doing is first class, it gladdens my heart to read what you are planning for Mr Pun and his family, especially at this time of the year. Please pass on my warm wishes to Mr Pun and his family. and also to his many old friends. I too have many fond memories of days spent with Gurkha soldiers in distant places.

"Ayo Gurkhali"

Rocket Chucker
23rd Dec 2007, 12:22
Tigs, fantastic gesture. :D:D:D

Please wish Mr Pun all of the very best for Christmas and a peaceful, healthy and prosperous New Year from all of my family.

I am certain that my old comrades, both serving and retired Rocks would join me in this and also wishing the same to you and your family.

God bless you. :ok:

Per Ardua.

PPRuNe Pop
23rd Dec 2007, 12:47
I'll subscribe to hearty good wishes to a good man, and his family. I am sure he will relish the hospitality that Tigs2 and his family will offer.

Good wishes Mr and Mrs Pun. Enjoy a peaceful and happy Christmas the English way.

PPRuNe Pop and all at PPRuNe Towers

BANANASBANANAS
23rd Dec 2007, 13:06
Good effort Tigs. Well done.

Mr Pun, Sir,

I had the great pleasure to ferry many of your countrymen around the world on the VC10. Never has a country had such loyal friends and the UK is a better place now that you are gracing it with your presence.

Welcome Sir, Welcome.:ok:

RFCC
23rd Dec 2007, 13:27
Mr Pun,

Dhanyabad (thank you) for what you have done for this country. I wish you and Mrs Pun a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Lyneham Lad
23rd Dec 2007, 14:36
Tigs - you have my admiration and my thanks for making such a marvellous gesture.

Mr Pun VC - I wish you and your family a Happy Christmas and the very best for the future. Please be assured that the ordinary people of this country bear no comparison with the hard-hearted politicians and self-servers who tried to deny you justice. You are very welcome!

LL

EngAl
23rd Dec 2007, 14:55
Well done Tigs, I'm sure you will give them an excellent time.

Mr and Mrs Pun, Best wishes, respect and heartfelt thanks from a British citizen who is proud to have you living amongst us. All the best for the future.

1859sqn
23rd Dec 2007, 15:11
Please pass on my greetings to this fine gentleman and his family.. My job occasionally takes me into the married quarters of the Gurkas at Folkestone and they are all such gentlemen......

bwfg3
23rd Dec 2007, 15:40
Tigs,

You are a real gent, best wishes to you and the family, and to Mr. Pun and family. Sirs.I salute you. :D

TheWizard
23rd Dec 2007, 15:45
Nice one Tigs. :D
Namaste, Mr Pun, Sir. May you and your family enjoy the festive season and all the best for the future.

Wiz (ex 28 (AC) Sqn- just!)
http://s15.photobucket.com/albums/a355/merlinmagic28/Misc/th_KukrisSmall.jpg

ArthurR
23rd Dec 2007, 20:06
Tigs its nice to see there are still real people out there, pass on my best to Mr Pun and his family, and thank him for the contribution he made to our freedom....:ok: :ok: :ok:

Compass Call
23rd Dec 2007, 22:21
Tigs
Please pass on the following:

To Mr. Pun VC

My wife and I would like to wish yourself and Mrs. Pun a very happy Christmas and a Prosperous and Healthy New Year. We are most grateful for the service that you have given our Queen and country.

Best regards,
CC & wife

hoofie
24th Dec 2007, 00:10
As a mere man in the street, I couldn't really come up with the appropriate words to firstly apologise for the treatment Mr Pun initially received by our government and then to salute his bravery adequately.
So all I will say is -
Merry Christmas and thank you to you, your family and all Gurkhas.
From a grateful citizen.

50+Ray
24th Dec 2007, 06:57
Thanks Tigs. I echo the sentiments expressed in all the previous posts.
Mr Pun VC, I salute you and wish you a long and happy life in UK.
Merry Christmas
Ray

Clockwork Mouse
24th Dec 2007, 07:04
Well done, Tigs. Please salute Mr Pun for me and pass on my family's gratitude and best wishes to him and his family. Merry Christmas to you all.

Ivor Fynn
24th Dec 2007, 08:51
Top Man Tigs:D:D:D

Please pass on the finest seasons greetings and a Happy New Year to Mr and Mrs Pun.

Ivor Fynn

DX Wombat
24th Dec 2007, 09:31
Tigs, I can't think of anything to say which hasn't already been said. It was a real pleasure to see Mr & Mrs Pun at the Gatbash. I wish them a wonderful Christmas and a Happy New Year which will, hopefully, see them treated with the respect and gratitude which was so sadly lacking for much of this.

flipster
24th Dec 2007, 15:45
Bravo Tigs,

I echo all the above remarks. Nonetheless, please pass on my heartfelt wishes and grateful thanks to your distinguished guests.
All the very best for the festive season.

Nadolig Llawen boyo (nope, that's not Nepalese, its Welsh!)

Flip

ps get in touch once the indigestion has subsided!

Boslandew
24th Dec 2007, 17:59
Well done Tigs, I'm sure you'll give him and his family a great day
Mr Pun VC
Congratulations, sir, my wife and I wish you and Mrs Pun a very Happy Christmas and a long life here in the UK. I knew a Major Lalbahadur Pun in Hong Kong in 1971-74. Wondered if he's a relative.
with best wishes
Boslandew

grimfixer
24th Dec 2007, 18:32
Tigs, you have done something most of us on this forum would be proud to do. Thank you for your forethought and hospitality. Please raise a glass from us all and thank your honoured guest for the sacrifices he has made and seen in his loyal service to this country.
GF

Faithless
24th Dec 2007, 18:47
Here's to you Mr & Mrs Pun VC (Raising a glass of large falling down juice), and to all our boys and girls overseas away from loved one right now......God Speed and God Bless you all.:D:D:D:D:D

airborne_artist
24th Dec 2007, 18:50
A very Happy Christmas to Mr Pun VC.

May he enjoy many more.

Sand4Gold
25th Dec 2007, 08:10
Mr Pun VC and Mrs Pun, have a great day. Like many others, I wish you and your wife a long and happy life. Take care.

P.S. Tigs2 - A Merry Christmas to you and your family, and all the best for 2008.

AA

Tigs2
25th Dec 2007, 17:00
To all of those of you who sent a greeting to Mr Pun, a big thankyou. A member of his family translated them all today (about 80 between here ARRSE and Goat), also thanks to those who sent E Cards.
He continues to be overwhelmed by your wishes and support. He is in tip top condition and can talk for ever. kept us laughing non stop today for an hour talking about exploits in the Malaysian Jungle. A few photos to show you how a VC handles a Khukuri.

Oh Oh!

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii97/tigs2/IMG_7419.jpg

Steely Eyed Killer!

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii97/tigs2/IMG_7420.jpg

NO! Just a Grandad on Christmas Day!

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii97/tigs2/IMG_7426.jpg

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii97/tigs2/IMG_7423.jpg

Merry Christmas and a happy and prosperous new year

Shadwell the old
25th Dec 2007, 17:49
Tigs2

Fantastic pictures!

Like big blue car I laughed out loud when I saw the pictures. That turkey was certainly in trouble when the Kuukuri was unsheathed!

I know we dont do awards, but if we did I would like to nominate Tigs2 for the Ppruner of the year for his fantastic generosity:D:D:D:D

I dont know what the prize should, any suggestions......................???

ZH875
25th Dec 2007, 18:26
What a difference a few months can make.

Now that Mr Pun VC has been fed, tis time to raise the watering glasses, and wish him and his family all the best, not forgetting the ones that are still left behind.

And finally a further toast.......

.....Tigs2

The prize should be ringside seats at a Mr Pun VC versus Messrs Brown, Browne and Darling knife throwing competition.
:ok:

Tigs2
25th Dec 2007, 18:37
Shadwell
Thank you, but no no no no no!
I live twenty minutes from the gentleman, I did not want his family being stuck in london with no public transport and nothing open, and wanted them to experience a proper british family christmas, after all he has earned it! If you lived as close, just like many Pruners here, you would have done the same. Believe me the honour was mine, and that was all that was needed. He and his wifes eyes lit up like a ten year olds when they realised that of all the presents under the tree, some were for them. They had never experienced anything like it before. Converting christmas cracker jokes to Nepalese was the funniest thing i have experienced in years (it does lose a lot in the translation!). He kept on talking and talking and when his closest friend Gopal said (after discussing the possibility of a book), I think he has enough stories to fill....as he said 6 volumes, I at the same time said 85 years!!, he translated, Pun smiled and said 'yes, I guess so!!' Much laughter.
Shadwell, thanks but no prize and indeed nomination required, this has been one of the nicest days i can remember, and that is more than enough reparation.

Edited to add

ZH875

The prize should be ringside seats at a Mr Pun VC versus Messrs Brown, Browne and Darling knife throwing competition

That could be coming very very soon! Watch this or another very closely related space!

Lyneham Lad
25th Dec 2007, 19:30
ZH875

Quote:
The prize should be ringside seats at a Mr Pun VC versus Messrs Brown, Browne and Darling knife throwing competition

That could be coming very very soon! Watch this or another very closely related space!

More power to Mr Pun's elbow!

LL

PPRuNe Radar
25th Dec 2007, 19:40
Great thread, a great gesture by Tigs2, .... and a great great man whom it was an honour to meet at the GatBash.

Everyone who has met the gentleman, or heard his story, are always (without exception) humbled by his modesty and character, as well as being incensed by the treatment he and his colleagues receive from the UK Government.

I hope he goes from strength to strength and manages to give our lily livered politicians a bloody nose :ok: