PDA

View Full Version : 50 & 61 Squadrons Memorial - Worth a quick look

Roland Pulfrew
21st Dec 2007, 07:23
I know 11 Nov has passed and this is the 'season to be jolly' but I just stumbled upon this:

http://www.britmodeler.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=7969

Seems a novel way of remembering and well done to the local council I say! :D Let's just hope that there are no additions to the artwork!!

FATTER GATOR
21st Dec 2007, 10:38
From one station. 208 losses. 208 crews, 2080 families. Put like that, it brings home to a 60's sprog like me just what a sacrifice those brave crews made. Against those odds, those men had balls of solid rock to get back in their bomber and go and do it all over again. It's thanks to them that I can enjoy my Christmas (all be it deployed!) in the manner which I choose.

Hope to see more of these memorials and educational work so that we can ensure that the next generations can get an idea of the scale of the world wars and put it into context next to the ones we are fighting now.

Remember them

goudie
21st Dec 2007, 11:22
those men had balls

Certainly did. I have a friend who flew Halifaxes. Flew 14 sorties before crashing trying to land at night on 'two and a bit engines'. Says he was scared sh*tless most of the time but it never occurred to him not to go.