PDA

View Full Version : Virgin cabin Crew Strikes 9 Jan / 16 Jan

Justanotherpax
20th Dec 2007, 16:31
So Virgin cabin crew are planning two 48 hour strikes. I'm booked on a Virgin flight during one of these periods, I'm understandably concerned.

So can anyone allay my concerns? How will this impact the passenger, and for how long? Are you also directly affected as a passenger? Has anyone experience anything like this in the past, inside the industry or out?

Before I get the 'you selfish b****rd' posts, I fully understand the cabin crew's position. But that's another issue for another thread in another forum. This is intended as a thread on a passenger forum about how the strike may affect the passenger.

G-BPED
20th Dec 2007, 17:03
I would think that the best course of action would be to talk to the airline directly.

They will be in the position to advise of what effects the impending strike may have on your flights.

Regards.

G-BPED

Justanotherpax
20th Dec 2007, 17:14
Indeed, however....

I was simply trying to invoke discussion amongst like minded individuals, or individuals that find (or in the past have found) themselves in a similar situation.

This is, as I understand it, the purpose of forums such as this.

I think it's known as free speech.

Anyway, you know as well as I do that, at this stage, the airline will simply direct the customer to their Flight Disruption Policy.

Regards to you too, with christmas cheer!!

G-BPED
20th Dec 2007, 17:26
Justanotherpax,

Sorry, I was not intending any curtailing of free speech.

I was being quite genuine whne I suggested contacting the airline as sometimes advice given freely here and in any public forum could possibly lead you to the wrong decision over what action to take.

I was not in any way dismissing your posting and I am sorry if you took it that way.

So, here is my story

I was affected by the threatened BA strike earlier this year. I had a long haul flight to Sydney and the series of threatend stikes affected the outbound leg.

I called BA and was transferred onto a Cathay Pacific flight.

The strikes were called off and I was then offered the original flight or I could have stayed with Cathay.

I chose to move back to BA.

Have a good Christmas and I hope you are able to resolve any problems that may occur with your travel plans.

Regards,

G-BPED

Justanotherpax
20th Dec 2007, 17:44
BPED, I'm genuinely sorry.

I took your post completely the wrong way. I see now you were being genuinely helpful. Thanks for your dignified response to what was, let's be honest, a silly response from me.

Also, my free speech comment was out of line. Separate apologies for this.

Thanks for your Syd story, that was exactly the kind of think I was after. I've done a reasonable amount of commercial air travel but have been fortunate enough to have never been in this situation. I thought that I wouldn't be alone in this so I started this thread. Your story already calms my concerns somewhat!!

Again, in all sincerity, I apologise for how I reacted.

Have a great Christmas, and thanks for your good wishes. It's really appreciated.

G-BPED
20th Dec 2007, 17:56
Justanotherpax,

Thanks for your reply.

In hindsight I should have elaborated more in my first message.

Thats what comes from rushing home from work and trying to do too many things at once.

All the best

G-BPED

Avman
20th Dec 2007, 18:27
I just love a happy ending :)

Justanotherpax
20th Dec 2007, 19:36
LOL!

A genuine misunderstanding, resolved amicably by two grown ups. Doesn't happen often on forums does it!!!!

MuttleyJ
20th Dec 2007, 20:43
What lovely posts! No arguing! Am so shocked!!!! My faith in human nature is restored! Must be Christmas.

PAXboy
20th Dec 2007, 22:11
"I dunno, when I were a lad, that would have been a right royal dust up, with the Mods having to separate the combatants and urgent messages sent through to the Medical & Health forum for advice on First Aid.

PAXboy returns to the bar for another triple brandy, disappointed that there is not going to be a fight in the departure lounge after all. :E

11Fan
20th Dec 2007, 23:49
Could it just be that Justanotherpax is a secret alias of G-BPED and he is writing to himself because he is going for PPRuNe's 2007 Most Courteous Response Award?

Hmmmmm ? :suspect:

Sorry, PAXboy is looking for a fight and I'm just trying to help him out. It was really his idea….

Scurries out the door leaving it ajar…… :E

PAXboy
21st Dec 2007, 00:52
Thanks for trying 11Fan it might yet have an effect and bring the hounds out of their kennels to brighten up a cold December day.

Well ... I suppose I shall now have to say pretty things just pretend that this is the season of good will. Bah! :*

Being on the mailshot list of VS, I just received an email, listing the affected flights, of which there are only eight and it may all be found here:
http://www.virgin-atlantic.com/en/gb/passengerinformation/latestnews/index.jsp

Sheesh! I sure hope this 'festive season' thing is over soon. :oh:

Justanotherpax
21st Dec 2007, 07:48
I'm not on any of those flights, so I guess it's just turn up early and hope for the best.

It looks like management are planning to push thru this. The attitude of the union seems to be a bit bloody minded too, I don't see any hope of a deal before 9 Jan.

Oh and by the way, PAXboy, peace and love man, peace and love :ok:

Justanotherpax
21st Dec 2007, 08:20
An interesting thread, with some more info and a more pragmatic, conciliatory tone.

http://www.v-flyer.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22443&whichpage=1