PDA

View Full Version : The state of the New Zealand helicopter industry

Big Foot
19th Dec 2007, 23:14
A few quetions for all the kiwi pilots still flying in NZ.
1, Why are most jobs in Nz poorly paid ?
2, Are the wages on the move upwards like Australia and the rest of the world ?
3, Is there becoming more of a shortage of experienced guys there ?
I am a kiwi myself living in Australia flying utility, would one day like to return home but dont want to take a substantial paycut just for the lifestyle, anything positive on this would be much appreciated.
Cheers BF

wickednoel
20th Dec 2007, 04:22
I have just moved from Auckland to Wollongong to pursue my Commercial pilots license.

1. Jobs in NZ generally aren't that badly paid, the economic hardship comes from the fact NZ has a high OCR (Ian Callums solution to slightly above the norm inflation rate), high tax rates (the labour govt is a bastard!) a high cost of living and expensive housing, especially in Auckland.
2. Jobs are not going to improve paywise anytime in the near future, mainly because company executives can't afford to pay their own mortgages in NZ!
3. I don't think there is much of a shortage for pilots, there is quite a bit of beuracracy with NZ corporations, most fixed wing pilots are poached by Cathay Pacific and Emirates...From what I have seen helicopter pilots are quite badly paid in NZ.

So all in all, I do think that Australia (despite my love for NZ) is a far better financial prospect than NZ, especially in the long term, even taking into account stamp duty and the inevitable red tape with just about everything over here **Yawn - a month before I receive my medical certificate** . Mind you, things could be changing with the Rudd govt in power? Higher taxes maybe? Interest rates are on the rise...But if you can afford a mortgage free house in NZ and have plenty of money in the bank benefitting from the high OCR then NZ is a kick arse place to live.

skidbiter2
20th Dec 2007, 16:49
1. Maybe too much competition, so heli rates are low and so wages are low?

2. I haven't seen an increase in wages for pilots and don't see a huge increase in the future, the only ones who's wages follow the inflation rate are the MP's.

3. I don't think there is a shortage of experienced pilots there at all, a lot of people work off shore on tours and do seasons in Canada, Laos etc, but if there was more money to be made and more hours of flying per year available, a lot more would stay home I'm sure.

It's always been that way I guess, small country, better opportunities off shore, but great place to live.