PDA

View Full Version : Moving to NZ. Need info.

nightflier
18th Dec 2007, 09:06
Hi,

I plan on moving to NZ in 2008 and would like some info on getting my FAA ATP Helicopter (+4000PIC) converted to a NZ Commercial. I plan on starting in Auckland and will look for work from there.
Is there an employment website for Kiwi helo pilots?
Any good company to transfer my licence?

Thank you for the info.

Fly safe.

Hughesy
18th Dec 2007, 09:14
What would you want to come to NZ for? For your quals surely you can get a great job in your home country and be paid for what your worth. NZ industry is crap when it comes to pay really.

nightflier
18th Dec 2007, 10:00
and now is the right time for me to move.

bellsux
18th Dec 2007, 11:36
Why not move to NZ.. all the pilots there leave to work in Australia and Canada. Bring your big bag of cash over and buy up all the cheap real estate, it is a nice place.

Antti
18th Dec 2007, 13:37
Can you get a visa to work over there? It can be a bit hard to find work if they has to offered to kiwis first and there is a lot of kiwis with licences...

I recommend going south... It's close to Switzerland. Make a stop atleast at Nelson, glaciers, wanaka, queenstown...

What comes to Hughesy's comment... I feel he/she just don't want another experienced pilot to come to the market. It sucks when you have worked on ground for year or two and waiting for your flying job and the an experienced pilot comes and takes you job. At least I met one guy in the glaciers who had worked on ground a year or two (can't remember correctly how long) before was able to start ferry flying.. or was the accent too hard to understand for me. :)

I know that there is/was one guy in Motueka (Nelson aviation college) who did the ATPL stuff so you might want to ask him. Unfortunately can't remember his name.. :(

skidbiter2
18th Dec 2007, 15:54
I think you will find that hughesy was giving you a heads up on what it is like pay wise in NZ.
Sure there will be someone who gets there nose out of joint in any country you move to, thinking you are taking a job away from them.
It goes on in all job sectors, but thats another story.
I don't know what type of flying you are looking for in NZ, but i am thinking you aren't wanting to fly up and down a glacier all day with your hours?
Maybe rescue/police or Ag?
I think rescue pilots are on around $70 thou NZ per year, that could have changed? But other than getting a high flying time Ag job, I don't know of many jobs that pay more than $55 - $60 thou per year.
In regards to converting your license, I cant help you to much, I would get in contact with some of the flight schools over there, e.g Nelson Aviation College, North Shore Helicopters, or the school at Ardmore in Auckland.
I think you will have to do all the exams and a flight test I guess?
There are a lot of lower hour guys looking for work out there like every where, but good luck with your venture.

nightflier
19th Dec 2007, 00:38
Always a pleasure dropping in pprune to get a straight answer. I am currently flying EMS (EC135 & BK117). I would like to stay in EMS but would consider other options.
Thanks again.

Scissorlink
19th Dec 2007, 01:32
Hey Hughesy I think you can take the word "Really"out of your sentence..New Zealand pay IS CRAP :ugh:

Try Airwork in Auckland or Heliservices in Taupo. They have a few EMS and a police machine between them

SL

CDME
19th Dec 2007, 02:04
Nightflier - Few avenues for you to try.

ARHT (Auckland Rescue Trust)
They operate under their own AOC now and have a newish BK117. Here is their website URL. http://www.arht.org
Rea Wikaira is their CEO and a good guy, Dave Walley is their CP.

Also try North Shore Helicopters at http://www.nshelicopters.co.nz
They operate an EC135 and EC145 for a private owner as well as a few BK117s for other private owners. Might be worth a try. Larry Bennet is the owner.

Another option could be Northland Emergency Services Trust. They have a couple of EMS/SAR EC135s. http://www.nest.org.nz
Try talking to Pete Turnbull there.

Garden City Helicopters in Christchurch have a BK117 on EMS work. Their website is http://www.helicopters.net.nz
Talk to Grant Withers and or Neil Scott.

Hope these help.

Cheers.

Hippolite
19th Dec 2007, 02:09
Night Flier

If you would like some introductions down there then PM me your email and I will do what I can to help you out.

Hippo

Quichotte
19th Dec 2007, 02:58
Never heard about a BK117 and EC135 combination in the small swiss rescue business. REGA is in the air with 4 EC145 and the lone 2 swiss EC135 are more hated than liked by their two other operators. No other BKs or 135 in Switzerland.

In September you wanted to go to Columbia Helicopters or in the sling ops. Whats your plan? Rushing all over the world? Good luck!

Hughesy
19th Dec 2007, 03:52
Yip, what I was getting at is what a few other said, the pay is crap. Thats why lots of us guys got to Aus or Canada, as they actaully pay decent wages compared to NZ. I have a pretty good job in NZ, but there is no way I could have a family, mortgage on what I earn.

Nightflier, with your quals you should be ok to get work here, but dont expect to be earning loads of money, and have a fantastic roster. Glad you like NZ, its a great place to live...and fly, if only the pay was better. Oh Canada...4 months to go!

Antti. I am not against pilots coming to NZ if they have experience and all that, otherwise it would be a bit hypocritical of me as I go to Canada to work up there. Just it's not all about the flying, we ALL put in lots of time, money and effort to get where we are, and then we get paid crap! And also most places make you feel all guilty if you want time off. You may or may not be a low time pilot, but surely after your hard work to get a good job flying, wouldn't you want to be financely secure?

Sigh, enough from me! Beer time!

nightflier
19th Dec 2007, 07:26
I am currently flying both AC in the states, not Switzerland. Sling ops would have been the last addition to my career. Being a worldtrekker is not bad either :).

nightflier
19th Dec 2007, 07:29
I will look into it.