PDA

View Full Version : Dollar bills

UniFoxOs
18th Dec 2007, 08:20
Does anyone know what is the easiest way to get hold of a number of dollar bills. I mean ONE dollar bills, as the most useful size for tipping at airports, hotels etc. Currency exchanges often only have a few and use them to make up amounts ordered in other currencies, they don't like to supply a decent quantity, say 30, leaving you spending half your time on holiday trying to accumulate odd dollar bills from change when you buy something.

UFO

The SSK
18th Dec 2007, 08:32
I recall an American proudly showing me a wad of I guess 100 of them glued into a tear-off pad, on the cover it said 'Texas Scribbling Pad'.

groundhand
18th Dec 2007, 08:33
Order them from your nearest Exchange outlet (Travel Agent, Post Office etc) before you go. They will supply them without any problems - just specifiy the denominations you want. Most will get them within 2 working days.

UniFoxOs
18th Dec 2007, 10:21
Well I asked the Post Office. They will let you specify what denominations you want, but won't guarantee you will get them!! My usual source (internet with next-day delivery to the office) only do minimum $5 bills.

UFO

Crepello
18th Dec 2007, 13:56
Mrs Crep (who hails from these shores) informed me that it's fine to ask for change from a larger bill when tipping. Those who anticipate tips will usually have a few singles in their pocket, and would rather give change than to go without. Just my 2c worth... so to speak.

UniFoxOs
18th Dec 2007, 15:59
Yes, and hotel receptionists are often pretty good at finding change - after all it is their mates who are going to benefit. I suppose they then change the waiters and porters singles back to fives and tens for them and keep the singles in circulation. This next trip we are going on is to Egypt; preliminary documentation recommends dollars for tips, but I don't anticipate being able to obtain any there, so I thought I would try and take a fair few with me - if I end up not using them I will still be able to use them on next trip to the Caribbean or States.

UFO

EchoMike
18th Dec 2007, 18:10
Better tip material - there is a $2 bill in the US, seldom seen in circulation because there isn't an extra drawer for it in most cash registers, but nevertheless available brand new, for the asking, at face value, from almost any US bank.

Makes a wonderful tip - $1 tip, you're a cheapskate, $5, you have to ask for change - but you should see the smiles on their faces when you hand them a brand new "two-spot" as a tip. They usually pass them along to their children, and your bags, etc, will get extra special handling.

I once got a cola drink and a donut on a train from Brighton to London with a US $2 bill - I didn't have any Sterling (yet) and the attendant rather curtly told me she only took Pounds, didn't want any dollars, thank you very much sir. I said that if I could show her a dollar currency item that she had never seen before, would she trade? Her face said she had seen it all, but when I showed her the $2 bill, we had a deal. She was pleased and so was I.

There are also some new $1 coins, gold colored, just released, which might be useful, but I tend to like folding money better than coins.

Best Regards,

Echo Mike