PDA

View Full Version : Medical tests

JOIETOIE
17th Dec 2007, 23:01
Are airlines very strict about xray results or any medical tests? I have been a smoker for 7 years (1 pack a day) and was called for the medical test 2 weeks from now and i'm kinda nervous what my lungs would look like. Can somebody please tell me???? Those who have vast knowledge of airlines' medical test procedure are most welcome to reply to this question

NZScion
18th Dec 2007, 00:34
I'm not trying to be your mother or anything like that, but shouldn't you have thought about the health ramifications of your habit a little earlier than 2 weeks before your medical?

Peelay
18th Dec 2007, 08:00
It can often take something like this to act as a kick in the ass.

Treeshaver
18th Dec 2007, 12:55
Perhaps you would be better off finding a medic's forum and asking someone whether or not you can tell someone is a smoker through a chest xray. I am no doctor but my suspision would be no, unless you have lung cancer. As far as I know the only difference between a smoker's lungs and a non-smoker's is that the smoker's lungs will have a bit of crap in them, tar etc. Whether or not this will show up on x'ray I have no idea.

Why don't you stop now, and do a load of exercise in the two weeks leading up to the medical. You'll be amazed at how quickly your lung capacity returns and how good a nice run is for getting all that **** out of your lungs.

Again, I have no experience of airline medicals but my guess is that they will be looking at your general health, which I'd guess is completely fine dispite being a smoker. Don't tell them you smoke and dont have a cig on the day of the medical and they will be none the wiser.

to NZcion and Topslide6, what business is it of your's to criticise this guy for smoking. Let those who have no sin cast the first stone.

bugz
18th Dec 2007, 13:16
I smoked for 10 years and stopped a couple of years before I started working, no problems on any of my medicals.

To be honest I don't really think that being a smoker constitutes a reason for not getting a job, a number of the guys I work with still smoke and it doesn't affect them. As long as your not hanging yourself out of the window chuffing one down on the turnaround then who's it going to affect? What you do in your own time is up to you!

The only thing I would say is that the long term affects of smoking may cause you to loose your medical one day but as long as you are fit and healthy then I can't see why it should matter in the short.

If your worried then do as treeshaver says and quit, get yourself down the gym, and stay off them in the future!