PDA

View Full Version : Thought you might like to read my daughter's homework

airborne_artist
17th Dec 2007, 19:38
My 14 y/o daughter had English homework tonight. Task was to write a charity letter to a potential supporter, laying out what the charity is, who it benefits, and why it needs the money. I must stress that this was entirely her idea, with no input from Mum, whose own Dad was in Burma in WW2, or me (ex TA, ex-regular RN). It could have been any cause, for cats, for kids, you name it, but this is her work:

"Dear Supporter,

I am writing to you to inform you of the charity Coming Home. Coming Home helps and supports both the family members of those who are enrolled in the armed forces in the Army, Royal Navy and the Royal Air Force. It focuses on looking after the wives, husbands and children left behind, providing child care, housing and money for niggling debts that cannot be paid. It also provides free health insurance and travel insurance for the service men/women who have got injured and a lift home to see their loved ones.

Coming home has been running in the UK and some of Europe for two years and in that short amount of time we have helped and supported many thousands of families and service men/women. Jake Taylor is an officer in the Army and is often posted out to Iraq. He has a loving wife and two children. In 2003, he was badly injured in a car bomb explosion. He nearly lost his leg. The cost for his medical health was £1500 and his family just couldn’t pay, luckily, Coming home was there to help and offered health insurance to pay for his much needed treatment and travel insurance to transport him back home to his family to recover. “ I was so glad that I had registered with Coming Home because if I hadn’t I wouldn’t have been able to get the treatment and go home and see my beautiful wife and kids. Thank you.” –Jake Taylor.

The money that you donate goes towards Health insurance and travel insurance for those in the Armed forces and care for the families. Specific families will have support and guidance. We also provide psychiatrists for those who need someone to talk to, after school drop-in centres at the100 different Army barracks around the United Kingdom. Just £2 a month could pay for childcare for 3 weeks, and after your first donation, you will receive a personal letter from those you have helped, recent photos and a calendar for year 2008.

If we don’t donate, the families will not be helped and they will have to cope on their own. This could lead to many hardships.

The cost is just £2. They are our country’s service men/ women who fight for us. They fight for other countries that need help, they deserve something back to assure them that their families are well looked after and so are they.

There are many ways that you can donate; Online – log on to www.cominghome.org.uk (http://www.cominghome.org.uk) and click on “donate” at the side of the home page. OR you can send us you can request a donation form by sending us a quick email; [email protected] OR by sending us a letter to our office; Coming Home Charity,

Thank you for reading this letter,

Yours sincerely,

Olivia ****
Director of Coming Home.
_______

It brought a big tear to the eye of both of us.

This is daughter #3, btw. #2 is the would-be aviator.

Guzlin Adnams
17th Dec 2007, 19:46
Well done her.......Be proud.
(How about sending for to one G Brown.)

advocatusDIABOLI
17th Dec 2007, 20:33
Humbling........ AA you must be beaming with pride! As the last poster suggested, a copy to messurs Brown and Browne might be in order.?

Have a Happy Christmas! and a 'really well done' to your daughter! :D

Advo

Toddington Ted
18th Dec 2007, 03:42
Nice one AA. Well done to your family! It means a lot to those of us who are going to be away over Christmas too. BTW we have been getting a lot of support out here in the Stan from the folks back home judging by the amount of parcels that have been coming in - keep em coming!

Shack37
18th Dec 2007, 11:12
Tremendous, a daughter to be proud of AA. Certainly had me welling up more than a little.
Merry and safe Xmas and New Year to all, especially the boys and girls at the sharp end.
s37

airborne_artist
18th Dec 2007, 11:23
I tried to register the domain she's made up, but it's gone. I liked the name, and was hoping to point it at the SSAFA donation page (http://www.justgiving.com/ssafa)

goudie
18th Dec 2007, 11:50
The young lady has insight beyond her years. Her letter should be published.

Art Field
18th Dec 2007, 13:15
Apart from being a shining example to and of todays youngsters can you not lean her toward a future career in politics, how desperately we need people of her calibre to run this country.:ok::ok::ok:

c130jbloke
18th Dec 2007, 13:53
Good skills - well done to her.

Roland Pulfrew
18th Dec 2007, 14:10
aa

With a little change it might still work, cominghome.co.uk seems to be available