PDA

View Full Version : Wannabe wants to know whether to take the plunge

chrisms86
16th Dec 2007, 22:06
Hello pilots,

First of all sorry, I know you probably see these posts once a week.

I’m starting on my final year of college and have been struggling for awhile to decide what to do afterwards. Most of my plans revolve around me finding work overseas, the option of relocating must always be there for me. I have lived the better part of the last year in Thailand and feel comfortable abroad. Any job or activity that I’ve done, no matter how mundane, I’ve enjoyed perfecting the technical aspects of it to the best of my ability (whether its scuba diving, dirtbiking, or working at a pizza place). For these reasons I’ve settled on a career as a pilot because it seems easy to get my foot in the door in Asia and Africa as a rookie, and later in life options in the Middle East and Europe may become available (I am an American). I also think that I’d be able to apply myself and be very good at the job. I start the first of my last two semesters next month, and I’m considering going all out and taking a loan to start flight training at the airport near my university.

So my question to you pilots is—should I hold back? For someone whose main goal is to be able to live and work relatively comfortably overseas, is this the career for me?

And one last silly question… I am generally not afraid of flying, I’ll continue reading my book as a plane lands and really not feel any more scared than when the plane was on the ground, but on occasion I do get a little worried for one reason or another. Is it possible to be a pilot and not be completely fearless of flying? Or do you lose that fear as you train? Or do you still have it?

matt_hooks
17th Dec 2007, 00:00
Chris. What are the reasons you want to fly?

If it's just for the money, or the glory, then are you really, REALLY sure that's what you want to do?

Do you have the passion for flying that will mean that, on a 2, 3, 4 hour sector you won't get bored?

What I'm trying to say is that most people who get in to flying do so because they have a passion for it. The time, effort and expense involved in getting the licences requires a goodly measure of commitment. Ever heard the phrase "born to fly, must fly" ?

So sit down, find out what the costs are, take a realistic look at employment opportunities, will you be happy to fly freight at night for a few years to get the hours up?

As for the fear thing, I think if you never feel any fear then you'll not make a good pilot. A certain amount of fear heightens the senses, keeps your lookout/scan sharp. As long as we're not talking a crippling phobia then it's all good. It's the pilots who don't have any fear who tend to over assess their capabilities, and push the envelope of the aircraft. A lot of the time they get away with it, but there are plenty of people who've tragically ended up as a smoking hole in a field precisely because they lacked the healthy fear.

I hope some of that made sense, coming from one who has always known that "reaching up to touch the face of god" was what he was born to do. If you have the passion then go for it, but make sure you do it with eyes wide open. It's not an easy job, or anyone would be doing it!

Above all, good luck in whatever you decide.

Matt

thesexypilot
17th Dec 2007, 08:08
I agree with many points from the above post - you must believe that you can be a competent pilot and get through the day focused.

However, at the end of the day flying is a job and don't be ashamed to take into account practicalities of living style i.e if you want to own a yaht, you'll have problems doing so as a postman, teacher, etc compared to that of an airline pilot in a good company. If you budget correctly and don't have offspring all over the place you should be able to afford a private education for your children (if you so wish), go on holidays that many other families can't afford, pamper you wife (many girlfriends) etc. Make up your own dreams, my list is an example. Money is not bad - its is the corrupt love of money that is a sin and that is the route to complete evil.

Flying should be fun and you should have a passion to succeed as a pilot, but a degree to what 'passion' or love you should have for the job is individual.

I started out quite nervous with my first solo flights and that wore away slowly, now I love it!!! Once you start you'll more than likely get addicted. Best to have some trial flight - set your self the challenge of a PPL and then see how you feel after.

Most people are proud to work long hours on difficult jobs to see the great results at the end - the results could be, for some, putting the food for your kids on the table, and for others a perfect cross wind landing in wellington airport, nz on a windy day (good way to practise!!) A job worth doing is never easy. So don't think this is an exclusive club for all those who are plane geeks and taking aviation magazines to bed with them every night and walking encyclypedias on all things aviation!! If you feel gravitated towards being a pilot - let your self be pulled in and make up the decision in your way. what ever gives you the buzz!

chris-squire
17th Dec 2007, 10:44
chrisms86 - From reading your post I really think you need to sit down and think seriously long and hard about what you are considering and are you looking at becoming a pilot for the right reasons. It's not for me to judge whether your reasons are right or wrong but just bear in mind how muh money you will be spending to get there and if you aren't doing it for your OWN good reasons then I think you will struggle to stay motivated when your up until all hours revising for ATPL's.
As for the money...I would have to say that yes it's good in the long term once your debts are paid off but not as good as many other proffessions out there!
I know what it's like to sit there and think "is this worth the risk". I'm giving up a really good career to follow my "dream" and risking everything but I can't imagine doing anything other than flying so for me it's definitely worth it. It's all down to you really and whilst I would love to be able to help, this is a decision that only YOU can make and you are best making it alone as only You know what's best for you if that makes sense.

If I can help in anyway feel free to give me a shout though!

Cheers

Chris :)

TelBoy
18th Dec 2007, 19:32
Flying is in your blood. You should be the sort who makes model planes, jumped off high things with home made wings (probably when younger and less wise!!) and will ALWAYS look up when you see or hear an aircraft. Just being near an airport should excite you and you change TV channels when something about aircraft or flying is on.

If the above does not apply to you and you are just looking for a job, then yes you can probably pass the exams and flight tests, but when you want a job, guess what - the people interviewing you will fit into the catagory above.

If you want a job traveling there are some fantastic opportunities, if you want to fly, then look at your reasons. You will also be making a very large investment in time and money.

What ever choice you make I wish you all the best.

dartagnan
18th Dec 2007, 19:56
(I am an American)

from south or north america?, are you mexican or canadian?.

if you are a US citizen, why don't you stay in the USA and fly for one of these regionals for peanuts?

enjoy the (mexican) land of freedoms and peanuts!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RayMaswju1A

dumdidum
19th Dec 2007, 06:35
Telboy: " Flying is in your blood."
How could it be? Never done flying. Looks fun though...

Telboy: "You should be the sort who makes model planes, jumped off high things with home made wings (probably when younger and less wise!!) and will ALWAYS look up when you see or hear an aircraft. Just being near an airport should excite you and you change TV channels when something about aircraft or flying is on."
I think I made one model airplane when I was five. I do look up when I hear an airplane sometimes and I love watching the airplane disaster investigation documentaries(even though they're a bit too "made for US citizen") since they usually explain some interesting details of various elements of an airplane.

I'm interested in the how-stuff-works of an airplane but I couldn't care less about different models or schedules or... whatever. I simply though that flying could be a fun job and why not try it. I'm already an engineer so if flying sucks I can still continue to hit the keyboard like a monkey for living.

And guess what, I told so(in pretty much the same words) to the persons responsible for selecting the people for ab-initio course and funnily enough I got in. They appreciated that flying isn't a dream job for me but simply an interesting career choice with no special glamour attached to it.

So if you have the money, go for it. It could be fun! =)

Treeshaver
19th Dec 2007, 16:02
"Flying is in your blood. You should be the sort who makes model planes, jumped off high things with home made wings (probably when younger and less wise!!) and will ALWAYS look up when you see or hear an aircraft. Just being near an airport should excite you and you change TV channels when something about aircraft or flying is on."

Personally I find these kind of people in aviation the most boring and irritating. Gimps with nothing else in their lives. You need to have more in your life than flying and if you spend your time making model planes then you need to get out of the house more.
Flying can be a fun and satisfying activity and a great way to make a living but there are plenty of things I find more exciting.
No captain is going to want to sit next to an FO whose only line of converastion revolves around flying.

juststartin
20th Dec 2007, 19:09
I agree that flying "is in the blood" - christ for all the sh*t you have to go through to get your licences - you really have to want it.

For most people flying is only a dream and a much larger percentage dont fulfil their dream, than those who do.

I have wanted to be a commercial pilot for as long as I can remember - yes I look up when an aircraft flies overhead, yes being near an airport and lookin at the aircraft is exciting, and yes I do watch programmes that contain aircraft - guilty as charged your honour!!!;)

What I am trying to say is that it is something you have to be 100% committed to, not just something you thought up oneday at college and though "I know im going to be an airline pilot!" - this is something you have to want and want badly.

I have had to work and save and work and save, working sh*t hours for a sh*t company to fund my training so far - just ask yourself-
"would I do that?.....do i want it that bad?"

Good luck Sir!

bajadj
20th Dec 2007, 20:49
I'm sorry I don't agree. It is NOT essential to "want and want badly" to be a pilot. I'm sure that many pilots DO feel this way, but I'm sure i'm not alone in not being completely obsessed with flying. I think you certainly have to have an interest in aviation, but i don't see it as some divine calling, more a career which is an appealing choice, which IS interesting and pays well enough and has a high enough kudos to enable us to enjoy the company of females above our normal station!!! (amongst other things).

Treeshaver, can I be your FO??

PThomas
20th Dec 2007, 21:45
hi guys, been a member on here for a while but not a posting one as yet!! so here goes.

im 24, from the UK, have always had those "flying in the blood" symptoms, i love flying in light aircraft, although ive only had control of one for an hour!:ugh:

i always wanted to be a pilot or at least involved with the industry from a very early age. I think my 7th birthday present from my godfather was an encyclopedia of the history of planes, whilst my 7th birthday present from the parents was a joy trip in a cessna 152 from biggin hill.

My problem was that I was ill advised at school when at 15 was asked the big question by a big IMPORTANT teacher " so what do you want to do ?"

my reply " I WANT TO FLY !! "

answer "ok, thats great ! but to be a pilot . you NEED maths and physics A levels, and good ones as that ! and we dont think, although you will qualify to take those A levels ( I went to a Grammar School - non private - state paid, one of the perks of living in Trafford - Manchester and passing the 11plus ) that you wont get great grades ! so we think you should think of something else ! ) :mad:

so I followed what I most enjoyed in school in terms of subjects and decided to go for A levels that would gear me up for either an architecture degree or some kind of management and marketing degree . . I ended up going for the business degree at one of the top three business uni's in the UK.. and guess what! It was tedious. In first year I had to re-sit 4 exams, second year I failed too many to re-take exams, so I re-took the whole year and by the start of the second term I'd had enough of struggling for something I really didnt want in my heart... I was more than capable of passing the degree but I just wasn't into it.

that was 3/4 years ago. Since, ive got a decent job, moved to London and Ive managed to buy a flat with my slightly older sister. This big move was with the intention of raising the capital to afford to self fund an CPL going down the intergrated route... I've been to cabair a few times for open days etc .. and Im very keen, my older cousin went there 7 years ago, who's now flying A346's for virgin atlantic.. but ive also got a friend training in NZ with CTC...

With the current UK economy experiencing a slight blip it looks more likely that the CTC route is financially more viable but thats if I can get through all the tests obviously ! :{

my point to fellow newbies is: If you want it , you know... it may not be 'flying in the blood' but whenever you want something so bad, you bounce back from mistakes, stupid advice which sends you off on the wrong track etc.. but as long as you bounce back, and pragmatically work out how to get where you want to be.. then thats when you know...

this I feel is what interviewers for airliners will want to hear when trawling through the mountains of frozen ATPL guys/girls with 500 hours trying to get a job .. that little bit extra..

good look to you all !

see in hong kong:D

4KBeta
21st Dec 2007, 09:14
PThomas - So let me just clear this up, did you finish your degree course?

I assume you didn't by the "I had enough comment". I will be honest with you, though you said that you were capable of getting the degree, which I am sure you were, why didn't you? To me reading that it says, "I couldn't be bothered".

You had already done 1/3 of a course which you had forked out 3K for inc accomdation etc? Then suddenly you packed up bags and decided it weren't for you.

Let that be a lesson for you, research your options very carefully. And from that change your mentality. You are looking at choosing an integrated course which is 6 Months , 9-5pm of ground school + evening work....you struggled to do the work on a degree course which was what , 12-15 hours lecture/work a week, thats being generous more then likely

I am not moaning at you, I am just saying just realise things must be done in life which you don't enjoy to get to the next step.

Personally if you are going to choose the integrated route, I would take the unviersity experience out of your mind and not mention it again, especially when you finish the course and are invited to selection interviews.

chris-squire
21st Dec 2007, 10:12
PThomas - I left Uni after a term of studying Tourism Management. I was really interested in the whole course but I got pissed off with having nothing to do but go out and get smashed! Unbelievable I know but I was bored and didn't have anough to get my teeth into. Lectures and Seminars together totalled 12 hours a week! Rediculous!

In addition to this, I already have A-Levels in Travel and Tourism which despite what the admission guy said, it pretty much covers the 1st 18months of that degree so I was sat there bored out of my mind whilst people were struggling to understand As Level concepts of Tourism Economics. So with that in mind I do understand what you're saying but I would have to say that leaving after your amount of time and effort is not something I would mention to future prospective employers. Don't get me wrong, I'm really not trying to make you feel bad or have a go but it seems like you put loads of hard work into something and then walked away with debt and for nothing.

Chris :)

4KBeta
21st Dec 2007, 10:48
Did I hear an echo :rolleyes: ;)

chris-squire
21st Dec 2007, 11:48
Apologies 4k, hadn't actually read your post when I replied. But from mine I clearly agree with what you said.

Chris :ok:

nazri
21st Dec 2007, 13:52
chrisms86,

You seem to be in so much more of a better position like me.

I am a Singaporean and a 2nd-year geography major at a local university. I suppose the others who replied in this thread are aware that the aviation scene in Singapore is really 'dead' and very hard to enter. The national airline, strangely favours candidates for cadet pilots from 'hong kong, penang, kuala lumpur'. Where does this leave me?...On the ground.

There are no pilots among my family or extended family members or friends. Basically, I am alone chasing this pipe dream. Being an Asian and from a tiny island only worsens my chances of ever being in a cockpit.

Seriously, I would give anything to be able to fly. As mentioned by some, aeromodelling when young, watching nat geo's Aircrash Investigation, etc, that's me.

For me, the pilot is the one who understands and works with the aircraft. Passengers on a 737 or A380 won't know and can't be bothered about the difference between the two. Same seats, overhead compartments, etc. But the man at the controls knows he is handling two entirely different beasts which have different behavours and temperaments. And he enjoys working with and sometimes taming them.

I will never rest at peace in my grave if I died before being at the controls of an aircraft.

Sorry for my rants, its something that i've kept in my heart for so long.

chris-squire
21st Dec 2007, 14:05
Nazri -
1) Why does being an Asian go against you?
2) You obviously care a great deal about becoming a Professional Pilot so get off your arse and don't rest until you get there! A little something to bear in mind and something that really inspires me.....

There's a young Indian doctor at my local surgery who was run over by a train at a young age and sadly now has one 1 arm and 1 leg. He was rejected by universities in India to train as a Doctor because of his disability. He did his research and found a Russian uni that would accept him. So...he learned to speak Russian, moved to Russia and trained. He's now a practising GP and one of the nicest blokes around.
So don't come on here and say what isn't possible! I'm not some bloody hippy but I do firmly believe that whilst some people have to get over more hurdles than others there is always a way!

Cheers

Chris :ok:

chrisms86
21st Dec 2007, 16:08
Thank you for the responses, I did not expect such thoughtful replies and I really appreciate seeing the argument over whether flying must be 'in your blood' or not to become a pilot.

I think I may have recieved an injection, thanks to YouTube. Make fun of me for this but I've been watching some videos of African bush pilots and I think I'm hooked. When I go back to school next month I'm going to take a loan out (I'm fortunate enough to have no debt from college) and go for my PPL. If I change my mind after that, well its a few thousand dollar mistake but I won't be much worse off than other grads. If I don't, then I'm on my way.

matt_hooks
29th Dec 2007, 18:40
Chris, that sounds like a very sensible idea. Go away and find out if you actually like flying. The chances are that you'll be bowled over by it. I don't think there's a feeling in the world like being at the controls of an aircraft.

And even if you decide not to take up flying as a career, I don't think the money spent on a PPL would be wasted. A PPL will always look good on a CV/resume, no matter what job you are going for. It proves good technical ability, an ability to master some fairly non-intuitive concepts and a good deal of staying power.

So go enjoy your PPL course, I certainly wish I could bugger off and play in a single a bit more. And the best of luck. :D