PDA

View Full Version : FOI's question...

gilabender
16th Dec 2007, 18:01
What's the best way to learn FOI's for CFI (Fundamental of Instructing) for those of you who don't know what they are. They are really dry to learn. Thanks

mikelimapapa
16th Dec 2007, 19:41
Yea, its called rote learning :}

gilabender
16th Dec 2007, 20:16
Yeah you're right about that.. I don't think any of my CFIs even use FOI's on any students.

oscar bravo
17th Dec 2007, 01:53
As far as the knowledge test goes, just study and memorize the questions and answers and take the test. I took the test in 6 minutes and aced it.

For the practical, most examiners will only get into whats required by the PTS, I believe tasks "E" and "F". Focus your attention on those areas.

One method I used for remembering that kind of material was to relate it to your real life experiences. Think of how your past instructors exhibited "professionalism", or, some instance in your training where you had to re-learn something that was taught differently or even wrong by another instructor (Primacy).

gilabender
17th Dec 2007, 03:29
Yeah, I already got my written done.(past with a 94%) I'm just worried about the practical.

Torquetalk
17th Dec 2007, 16:28
That's a good tip GB; both as a memory aid and for making the FOIs meaningful.

It's a shame that many people see the FOIs as just something you have to do to get the ticket. More than 70 years of well-founded research lies behind them; and when applied will help you to be a competent and professional flight instructor.

Lot's of CFIs hone their flying skills quite quickly once they have a few hours under their belts. Same can't be said for the teaching bit in my experience. In fact, quite a few get lazy and worse.

TT