PDA

View Full Version : Joining the RAF to fly the ASTOR

globallocal
16th Dec 2007, 01:11
Just a quick inquiry,
Had a colleague transfer recently to the RAF from the Australian Army onto the Chinooks.
I am a army reservist (11yrs full time) but flying a private global express (1000hrs) and looking for a change from the corporate world, on call 24/7, but i know this happens in the military, and I'm not interested in the airlines.
How's your crewing,
would I have a chance of transferring across.
Are they being deployed o/s at the moment?
what are your conditions of service like?
How many hours are they doing?
any info would be greatly appreciated before I ring the British embassy.

thanks in advance

GL

L J R
16th Dec 2007, 01:16
Join the Queue buddy,

The list is long and distinguished.

globallocal
16th Dec 2007, 02:31
best I stay where I am doing my hrs and being paid the bucks then!!

L J R
16th Dec 2007, 05:53
Do you know what it actually does (or will do ) and where....and for how long?....or even why....

Pontius Navigator
16th Dec 2007, 07:53
globallocal you will also need 5 year's residence in UK first, oh and do your flying training. As long as you are under 24 when you start I am sure they would welcome someone with your experience.:}

Better you try Serco. They fly Hawks etc at FRADU.

Delta Hotel
16th Dec 2007, 09:19
GL,

Instead of hearsay, why not try asking the RAF Manning folks what they really think about your potential application; they will be able to advise you on all of the residency/hours/job criteria/etc that you would need to comply with prior to joining. You may well be someone they want - until you officially ask, you will never know.

DH

H Peacock
16th Dec 2007, 13:37
Joining the RAF to fly the ASTOR

ASTOR doesn't fly, the bit that does (infrequently) is called the Sentinel R Mk 1. ASTOR is the name given to the whole system. Already too many drivers for too few (working) airframes, so perhaps we could arrange a job swap?

:)

FATTER GATOR
16th Dec 2007, 14:08
Defence is going to lose a couple of big projects, thanks to the CSR.

With the state of the ASTOR project and the Sentinel component in particular, it has to be up for the chop.

Thanks to coalition ops and the 'special relationship' it's role can be (and is) covered elsewhere.

Stay put

H Peacock
16th Dec 2007, 16:29
With the state of the ASTOR project and the Sentinel component in particular, it has to be up for the chop.

And that would give you 5 super large business jets that could be used for 'Brown-Force One-to-five'!!!

steamchicken
17th Dec 2007, 14:06
God, no? Surely not another procurement fart?

And, of course, one where we've already got rid of all the assets it's meant to replace?

Lazer-Hound
17th Dec 2007, 14:28
I thought ASTOR was going reasonably well? What are these problems? How likely is it to be chopped? Any links?

Boldface
17th Dec 2007, 15:16
It won't get chopped, but it certainly isn't going well either!

minigundiplomat
17th Dec 2007, 15:40
With regard to the CSR, FRES seems favourite to go, as Euro Reaction Forces don't seem to be Broon's bag (neither do we but that is a seperate matter).

If FRES is cancelled, and £16 Billion freed up, I doubt ASTOR will be chopped.

There again, I thought New Zealand would win the world cup!

BlackadderIA
17th Dec 2007, 19:35
It won't get chopped, but it certainly isn't going well either!
It was going very well last week - the galley was finally fixed and we all had a coffee without needing a flask. What more do you need?

globallocal
18th Dec 2007, 04:17
Thanks for your info guys.

globallocal you will also need 5 year's residence in UK first, oh and do your flying training. As long as you are under 24 when you start I am sure they would welcome someone with your experience.

Well my learned friend! My mate is 43 young. Hasn't lived in the UK but most probably shagged a couple! don't know if that counts!
He has already started over there.

Already too many drivers for too few (working) airframessuits me! I've just completed around 520 hrs in 7 mths, on track for around 900+ for 12 mths of working for this company.
A little tired of flying.

Just looking for a change of scenery for a few years. like a working holiday!!
As I don't have a JAR and can't be bothered to jump through another set of ATPL exams. Just wait till it gets really bad in the EU and they will recognise other ATP's then look at a job in the EU. Maybe!!

and I too thought the Kiwis would win the WRC! but you guys don't have a new coach of the national team who is a Kiwi.
yes thats right a Kiwi is coaching the Wallabies!!:mad:

Once again thanks.

GL

Boldface
18th Dec 2007, 07:48
Just looking for a change of scenery for a few years. like a working holiday!!
As I don't have a JAR and can't be bothered to jump through another set of ATPL exams. Just wait till it gets really bad in the EU and they will recognise other ATP's then look at a job in the EU. Maybe!!

My bold.

To be honest mate, with motivation like that, I would question your suitability for a transfer anyway.:hmm:

globallocal
18th Dec 2007, 10:06
Do you blame me?
I do give 100% to whoever I work for. Even if i need a sex change after it.
Well I have heard that you, and that is a collective for the UK Defence Force are struggling, like ours to recruit suitable people.
I enjoy my job now albeit a little over worked and I loved my time in the military. I would not be where I am today with out serving Queen and country!
So why not take that view, if you guys are short and I am willing.

What would be the average time for one of your guys to jump ship to the corporate world after their time on the Global?? I'm looking at going back to the military, the Oz Army will have me back as a Helo driver with over 3000hrs, but I've done my time beating the air into submission. The RAAF would have me a s a Tanker driver on the A330, so I've been told by someone senior but it doesn't interest me.
The Global is a fine piece of machinery and I enjoy flying it. In a completely different role it would even be better.
Maybe your right I need to question my motivation.

If its win/win for both parties why not? You get an experienced global driver, I get 3 yrs in a different part of the world with my family.

enough ranting.

Boldface
18th Dec 2007, 10:48
Last I heard, we are short of recruits but not short of pilot recruits. Retention of experienced aircrew is more the issue.

From your latest post you imply you have previous rotary experience with the Aussie Army. I suspect that was why your mate was allowed to transfer in his 40s. However, with respect, I doubt whether your 1000 hrs on the GX will be all that attractive to the RAF although your glass cockpit experience would help. Operational experience of piloting other ISTAR types is probably of more relevance.

By all means go for it. However, I suspect you'd be as likely to end up on rotary or another multi engined type than Sentinel.

Whatever you decide, good luck.

minigundiplomat
18th Dec 2007, 12:06
He has rotary written all over him. Chinook's mate, thats what you need!

snapper41
18th Dec 2007, 12:59
And there may be a question over vetting for a non-UK national.

Aldridge Prior
18th Dec 2007, 13:35

Thanks to coalition ops and the 'special relationship' it's role can be (and is) covered elsewhere.

FATTER,
What have you heard about the state of the Sentinel? I had heard it was coming on quite nicely.
Also, I'd be interested to hear what what is currently covering its role elsewhere?

Pontius Navigator
18th Dec 2007, 18:27
globallocal, are you an officer?

globallocal
18th Dec 2007, 21:04
I thought you could tell dear chap!!

Yea,we don't have NCO pilots, because we are so bloody HUGE as a defence force!!! We have direct entry pilots, or Special/short Service Officer (SSO).
sign on for six years, 6mth knife and fork course graduate as a 2nd LT, then on to pilots course for 18mths graduate as a Lieutenant on to specific type.
On that the Army just received their first 2 NH90's yesterday.

No rotary for me! In that capacity anyway. I fill in on our company's A109e, thats enough to stem the desire or keep me current.

L J R
19th Dec 2007, 05:33
If I've read the glossy brochure correctly, your recently acquired MQ-9 Reaper has a SAR, or does it?

JackRyan
19th Dec 2007, 07:54
Join the Queue buddy,

The list is long and distinguished.

Yeah, well so is my Johnson

I like how the movie quotes has mission creeped into here...

globallocal
19th Dec 2007, 10:55
Well Done Ice Man!!!

But Today We Sail Into History!!

BlackadderIA
19th Dec 2007, 11:11
If I've read the glossy brochure correctly, your recently acquired MQ-9 Reaper has a SAR, or does it?

Are you seriously comparing the dinky little Lynx SAR on Reaper with the ASARS-2 on Sentinel?

Just because both say SAR on the box doesn't give the same capability.
That's like saying that we don't need the E-3Ds capability because the Dominies have a weather radar in the nose so we'll just use that instead - after all they are both radars.

Without giving anything away on the differences, it is worth noting that Lynx SAR is the size of your PC tower and the ASARS-2 is the size of your car.

Tourist
19th Dec 2007, 14:13
Also worth noting that one is in theatre doing the business, and the other has a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooong way to go.

H Peacock
19th Dec 2007, 19:07
Also worth noting that one is in theatre doing the business, and the other has a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooong way to go.

You're right! Have done a bit of planning and it's about 5853 km, which is about 3639 miles, which is 3160 nm (easily achieved in a single sortie). As you correctly stated, it is a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong way!

:rolleyes:

Tourist
19th Dec 2007, 19:28
You had two options as I see it P Cock.

1. Refute my point with learned knowledge.
2. Make a witty reply pretending to misunderstand my point.

You chose option 2.

Unfortunately you managed to leave out the important bit.

Wit.

Pontius Navigator
19th Dec 2007, 19:33
Peacock, 10/10, many get that conversion wrong. :)

Aldridge Prior
20th Dec 2007, 13:35
So Tourist,

What makes you think that ASTOR has such a long way to go?

Informed comment or a man down the pub?

Evanelpus
20th Dec 2007, 14:02
Easy mate, turn up at Dover, ask for asylum. They will give you a bank account, free medical for you and your loved ones and a free house. Chances are they'll also pay for any training needed to fly the darn thing as well!!

Jobs a good 'un.

Tourist
20th Dec 2007, 15:04
I would say it was informed comment of medium to good veracity to be honest. You?