PDA

View Full Version : SU and NATO planes flying side by side stories

xxgunnerxx
15th Dec 2007, 20:39
Reading the SR-71 story made me think of the Cold War times when Soviet Union planes flew very close to the borders of the NATO side, with NATO planes always flying on their side. There doesn't seem to be many stories of this since the most popular one I know is the time the NATO side had pilots showing Playboy magazines to the Soviets while flying within a few meters of each other. I couldn't find any stories on the internet so I thought maybe a few people could share their stories they know on this thread.:)

Pontius Navigator
15th Dec 2007, 20:55
We had a fine photo of the copilot's glove on a May. Fortunately they pushed as we pulled. The RT chat was good. :)

GreenKnight121
16th Dec 2007, 04:21
One of my favorites occurred in the Indian Ocean in late 1979... a Bear was approaching the US carrier on-station in the Arabian Gulf (monitoring Iran), and the F-14s (or F-4s, I'm not sure which) were vectored to intercept.

The USN pilots were stunned when the crew of the Bear held up a sign... notifying them that the Tampa Bay Buccaneers had just beaten the Philadelphia Eagles (Dec. 29) 24-17, and would be facing the Dallas Cowboys in the NFC championship game.

The US task force was out of range of any English-language, American football-following radio, and were unaware of the scores of that weekend's divisional playoff games... but the Soviets were following the scores!

BEagle
16th Dec 2007, 06:49
Probably just overhead the Spams yacking away about their rounders scores on 123.45.....

...and asking for 'ride reports'...:rolleyes:

I took many a Bear photo 'back when'. And the Sov mates were always appreciative of Sam Fox's picture from The Sun Calendar held up against the flight deck window!

West Coast
17th Dec 2007, 03:21
Were you in first class or economy during these intercepts?

BEagle
17th Dec 2007, 06:41
Front left seat - better than either!

Although the F-15s from Keflavik were once heard to say "There's a British Nimrod in formation with the Bears!".

As you will doubtless realise, aircraft recognition was never their strong point - good job they didn't think we were in a Hind.....:eek:

West Coast
17th Dec 2007, 15:20
The Russkies had too much taste to be seen in anything as ugly as a Nimrod. I heard even they made fun of the plane. Did they have to give you a mach number or two to facilitate the join up?

brickhistory
17th Dec 2007, 15:23
As you will doubtless realise, aircraft recognition was never their strong point - good job they didn't think we were in a Hind.....

You do have to make allowances. They were probably stunned to actually see an RAF aircraft.

Pontius Navigator
17th Dec 2007, 15:50
Westcoast, wash your mouth out. The Mighty Hunter is one mighty fine aircraft.

True everyone said j:mad:s c:mad:t when they first saw it rolled out and J:mad: H C:mad: when they saw the Mark 3.

But it grows on you and sweeping in on a contact at 320k was mighty impressive too.

West Coast
17th Dec 2007, 16:36
Simply changing the name would go a long way....

Pontious
17th Dec 2007, 16:48
West Coast

And do you know WHO Nimrod was...?
:ok:

West Coast
17th Dec 2007, 17:07
And do you know what the connotation of Nimrod is now???

Given the secularization of Europe in general, I'm surprised the name remains.

Roland Pulfrew
17th Dec 2007, 18:19
And do you know what the connotation of Nimrod is now???

Westie

Only in the U S of A, son, only in the U S of A.

Once had to tell a couple of F15s where the 2 Bear Deltas were that they were trying to find, we were in close formation with them having tracked them on their radar emissions. Sadly we didn't have any Sam Fox calendars on board!!