PDA

View Full Version : Class One Medical

Tragic
14th Dec 2007, 20:37
I've used the search function, and to no avail I didn't find a clear or precise answer. I've tried google, but have found nothing. I've been a long time lurker on the forum, but I never joined because I'm only a wannabe and feel I have nothing to contribute. But. But this question has been bothering me and will be the only thing that will stop me from achieving my life goal of becoming a Commercial pilot.

What are the requirements to pass the class one medical? Vision, physical health? Etc. If anyone can provide me with the answers I will be eternally thankful.

mcgoo
14th Dec 2007, 20:47
Your better off searching the appropriate authority rather than searching on here, the CAA requirements are here:

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/49/SRG_Med_InitialJARClass1[2188].pdf

Being as your in Canada I assume you will want the FAA medical requirements which can be found in the FAR/AIM 14 CFR 67

steggers
14th Dec 2007, 20:49
Hi mate,
Right mate if you go onto this link
http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=49&pagetype=90&pageid=527
then click on the initial medical examination (http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=49&pagetype=90&pageid=2188), it will bring up everythings you need to know.
Hope this helps

Tragic
14th Dec 2007, 21:09
Steggers is that not the UK requirements? Or is it the same as Canadian? I'm not sure on this topic.

chris-squire
14th Dec 2007, 23:25
Bottom line in any medical is to be generally fit and healthy with nothing major in your medical history that could clearly compromise flight safety. If you're worried I am guessing (possibly wrongly) that there is something in your records. If this is the case then I would advise speaking to the issuing authority by phone or email.

If I'm wrong in assuming the above then apologies.

Chris :ok:

Tragic
15th Dec 2007, 02:11
I have no medical conditions (that I know of) but I'm not the most physically fit or healthy. I'm trying to eat healthy, and exercise but I just don't know how to get started, etc.

davidc_482
15th Dec 2007, 04:42
I have recently just got my medical done,
dont know if its different at your place,
but we call it Category 1 Medical,
i guess its somewhat the same,
but they just basically,
ask you questions regarding your healthy by general,
like, if you smoke, drink alcohol, have any high blood pressure etc,
then he just presses your stomach for any weird lumps,
ending with having you read some numbers out for signs of color blindness,
then followed by a test for your eye, by reading the charts,
and a hearing test after that.

Also, they take a urine sample from you in the end.
And thats about it, quite simple, nothing to worry to much~```

But it costs range from $100 - $300

i was lucky to have mine done for $100~~

Hope it helps you :)
Please dont mind the grammar X]

chris-squire
15th Dec 2007, 11:07
I only had my initial class 1 done back in August. In addition to the medical history quesstionnaire that you ahve to print off, complete and take with you; it comprises of the following: -

- Urine Sample
- Height, Weight Measurements
- Cholestorol and sugar level check via a finger prick blood test
- Resting ECG
- Spirometry exam 1 - Checking lung capacity so involves blowing into the machine until your lungs are totally 110% empty.
- Spirometry exam 2 - Checking how quickly your lungs can empty and involves emptying your lungs again but this time doing it as quickly as possible.
- Hearing Test in the sound proof booth
- Extremely thorough Eye Test (I had to then go onto to do the lantern test as I managed to miss one of the numbers in the book) all fine though!
- Meeting with the AME to go through your medical questionnaire as mentioned earlier. He / She then performs a variety of pokes and prods and if all ok then you are presented with your certificate and sent on your way!

Although for the above privelege the UK CAA charge around £355. I was please paying that as it was over £400 not long ago! COunt yourself very very lucky for $100!!! And who ever said these doctors have a hard time of it!!!!!

Chris :)

chris-squire
15th Dec 2007, 11:09
P.S - Pardon the shocking spelling and grammar but it was typed at speed!
Chris :ok: