PDA

View Full Version : Speed Distance Time -practice resources

GrantLeeMercer
14th Dec 2007, 19:47
Hi to everyone, new (like me) & seasoned pro's,
Where can I get Speed Distance Time practice sheets/books? I'm currently preparing myself for OASC, every way possible, (to go for Pilot) and i'm having trouble finding a hard-copy for Speed Distance Time practice on plain old pen & paper. I have the cockpitweb software, speed mathematics, mental math for pilots, my CRP5 & 'how to' booklet. Which are all great, so nearly worn out, but if anyone can point me in the right direction i'd appreciate it. The GMAT questions are my kind of level to challenge me a bit...I just really want to 'nail' this.
While i'm posting my first thread...what other tips would anyone out there suggest, Anything! I'm a 7 year Techie in the RAF, doing everything I can to prepare, but any more advice is welcome and appreciated.

Thanks guys (and girls).

whowhenwhy
16th Dec 2007, 09:57
Have you searched through the military aircrew forum fella? There's a specific sticky on OASC stuff. As a general rule of thumb though, make sure that you know your 6 times table and variations on that. good luck with oasc

maxdrypower
16th Dec 2007, 12:36
Do they not still do the pre-commisioning courses at the Ed centres. I was a techie yrs ago and did the two day course at Leeming . They EdO had loads of booklets and tests very similar to what you will find at Cranwell . Dont neglect the video games either . You may well pass the maths side and mental stuff but if your not careful they will get you on manual dexterity with the silly lil video games and you'll end up beign offered Nav , sorry Wso

GrantLeeMercer
18th Dec 2007, 16:08
Thanks whowhenwhy. I'll have a look. Especially at the 6 times table and 1 in 60 rule.

GrantLeeMercer
18th Dec 2007, 16:17
Thanks maxdrypower, I'm going to commissioning club regularly, I'll see if they or the Learning Centre have any exercises/tests for me. I'm always doing manual dexterity work, is there anything else you think I should make sure I cover?
What branch did you go into?

maxdrypower
18th Dec 2007, 16:34
Well thats funny one , I went for pilot and got offered nav , decided against it and left altogether, now fervently studying for atpls .
as a techie I found most of cranwell a doddle , the team exercises and interviews etc etc are as you would expect , the unknown commodities are all the little computer tests and the like as you either do well in them or you dont . You can always unbury yourself elsehwere but not there .
You shouldnt have a problem . On my assesement it was all serving members of the RAF , not sure if that was on purpose or not but it made the teamwork stuff go like clockwork. All had done pre commsioning courses and were well prepared by ed centres. Everyone passed although some were slightly dissapointed in the pilot stakes and ended up being offing NCO A/C . But everyone was happy as they were no longer gonna be suppliers,techies, police etc etc etc. I was told my scores on the lil computers werent good enough for (P) . But then no one had heard of a playstation when i did it
Good Luck and if all else fails get yourself to Brize Flying club and do your PPL it was at one time the cheapest flying schoool in the uk , take three weeks leave live in transit or the mess and do it over the summer , great fun