PDA

View Full Version : Brawdy and their Hunters

Tim McLelland
14th Dec 2007, 17:58
I'm gathering stuff together for my Hunter book and I'm looking at the coverage of 1TWU at Brawdy at present, so if anyone out there has any stories or pictures from the happy hays of Hunter ops, I'd love to hear from you.

I've been investigating the Hunters which received bizarre paint schemes at Brawdy, one receiving red trim, another yellow, and yet another in dayglow orange. The much-quoted story is that they were used as "bounce" aircraft by TWU instructors. However, it seems that this may not have been the case, as dissimilar aircraft were normally used (ie- a Hawk to bounce Hunters and vice versa). So if this is the case, what on earth were the fancy colour schemes applied for? Anyone recall anything?

nipva
26th Dec 2007, 18:02
The 2 Hunters in question were thus painted as part of a crude visibility trial. There was concern at the increased risk of collisions at low level with the advent of the much smaller Hawk in its all-over camouflage finish. Eventually the Hawks had their camouflage replaced with the current high gloss black finish.
The 'trial' was short-lived and not that informative due to the refusal of any self-respecting Hunter pilot to be seen anywhere near a banana yellow airframe. I cannot recall the 'banana jet' ever flying during my time but the crimson one did get the occasional airing.
Hope this helps.
PS Did you get my photos?

Tim McLelland
27th Dec 2007, 23:35
Thanks for that - sounds like another urban myth might have been destroyed at last!

Can you remind me what the photos were that you sent? I should have acknowledged receipt so if you can remind me what they were, I'll check!

:)

Tim McLelland
28th Dec 2007, 01:40
... and your next statement of the patently obvious will be? :rolleyes:

Never Alert
28th Dec 2007, 22:14
I think he is asking you to stop wasting his & others time.

jindabyne
29th Dec 2007, 10:38
Patently obvious?;)

Tim McLelland
30th Dec 2007, 02:13
Wonder if NeverAlert understands the definition of the word "irony" ?:hmm:

nipva
30th Dec 2007, 12:28
I omitted to mention the dayglo orange version. You are quite right; this one too existed for a time. None of the three were painted all over but had their fins, spines and upper wings outboard of the sawtooth painted in the relevant colour. The crimson one was flown quite regularly and the dayglow orange one too had the occasional outing but, as per my previous post, the banana jet was a step too far for the traditionalists (all of us!)
I have emailed you ref my PS

jindabyne
30th Dec 2007, 14:07
Surely there is only one banana-jet? And it's no Hunter -----

Never Alert
30th Dec 2007, 16:10
Tim, not sure how your post was ironic however, it was a repeat!:rolleyes:

My parent's next door neighbour flew Hunters over in Germany many years ago (with the Shiny Two's I think). Many an hour has been spent sipping wine whilst listening to him tell us accounts of his flying days, he has very fond memories of the jet.

Judging by some of his stories, it's amazing that he is still with us!

Wingswinger
5th Jan 2008, 11:41
Is this what you are looking for?
http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj182/Venator_01/Thunderboxes2.jpg
The "Thunderboxes"
Brawdy Air day 1981
I'm No 4.

jindabyne
5th Jan 2008, 22:27
---- and a tad too far back ;)

tutgby
5th Jan 2008, 23:06
looks like he's (or she's, sorry, political correctness!) being shunned by the others!
I reckon a quick trip to your squadron Bullying and Harassment Officer if you ask me...

eagle 86
6th Jan 2008, 02:18
Thank god no such cr@p in those days - had to be a he!!
GAGS
E86