PDA

View Full Version : flying to copenhagen

creamegg
13th Dec 2007, 15:54
I am off to copenhagen on the 19th flying from manchester. Last year I went to Kittila and the take off was really scary and so am dreading it this year. I just wondered if all aeroplanes took off so steeply (as this one last year did) or if they are all different.

The force I felt on my body from taking off was astonishing! Felt like I couldnt breathe.

Any advice???

PAXboy
13th Dec 2007, 15:56
Well .. if you could say which aircraft it was? Then people could give factual information about its angle of rotation. Otherwise, give the airline used and any more detail.

creamegg
13th Dec 2007, 16:03
ok sorry....

It was First Choice Airline and it was a Boeing 747 (I think). This time we are flying with SAS scandinavian Airlines. Not sure what actual plane though.

Just checked and it might be a mcdonnell douglas md80????!!!! we are flying to copenhagen on...eek, never heard of it :suspect:

TSR2
13th Dec 2007, 16:54
If your on the 10.15 flight it should be an Airbus A319. The 13.20 flight should be an MD81 and the 19.10 flight will be either an A319, MD81 or MD87.

No need to worry, SAS are an excellent airline. You may be interested to note that the seating on the MD aircraft are 3+2. If your flight is by MD81 or 87, Suggest you request seating as far forward as possible as the engines are rear fuselage mounted. Nice aircraft.

TightSlot
13th Dec 2007, 17:29
Hi creamegg

I doubt that it was a 747 with First Choice as they don't operate that type - more likely to have been a 757.

I'll try and go fishing for a FCA pilot to help explain further - it sounds like you probably went to Kittila on a Santa flight: Departures from Santa runways may sometimes be at a higher power setting than other flights (I believe) but I'll leave it to somebody more qualified to continue...

PAXboy
13th Dec 2007, 19:32
Since the 75 has a good rotation and usually gives a 'smart' get away, the departure from KTT sounds fab!!! think I'll take the trip for the return flight at full power and not bother with Santa!! :} (The 75 has been a favourite of mine since the first time I set foot on one.)

creamegg
13th Dec 2007, 19:47
Gosh thankyou for all your replies, yes it was a trip to see santa but the take off from manchester was just as steep if not more so than the one from kittila. (Or perhaps I was more prepared for it on the way back lol)

I did notice at kittila they had to de ice the plane first lol which I thought was funny, didnt realise that planes had to be de iced. Honiley, when you were piloting the santa flight did you have to 'bump' the plane and pretend santa had landed on it??? They did this a cpl of times on the flight much t the delight of all the children.

TSR2, I reckon its the 10.15am flight we are on.

So do you all know the feeling I mean then, the kind of light headed and pressure sensation??? As flight crew I suppose you get used to this? I do love planes and am fascinated by them and have a lot of respect for the pilots etc...I have difficulty parking my Mini never mind a whopping jumbo jet!!!! :O

Richard Spandit
14th Dec 2007, 09:24
As you accelerate down the runway, you are pressed into your seat. When the 'plane lifts off, you are pressed even harder into your seat - this can be an odd sensation if you're not used to flying. The aircraft is also pressurised shortly before take-off. When it starts climbing away from the ground, it gradually depressurises so you are breathing thinner air than that at ground level. A combination of these factors, especially combined with a bit of panic, can lead to light headedness. You will feel the depressurisation in your ears but unless you have a cold, it normally clears after a few seconds.

Having a short, powerful take-off with a steep climb is the safest thing to do - gets you away from the ground quicker. We don't do this for every flight because it costs more and isn't always needed.

As regards parking - we only ever drive forward into spaces - to reverse out we get someone else to push us in a tug - much easier than parking a car!!

Rumble
14th Dec 2007, 12:26
The main thing to think of in this situation is as follows:
The steeper the take off, the quicker you get away from the ground, the safer you are.

If the take off is very steep that means the aircraft has excess power and the safety margins are increased considerably. This would make sense on a Santa flight as you haven't got to carry a huge two week suitcase for every passenger.

This is now a win win situation for you because now you can enjoy the ride of a steep take off knowing that it keeping you as safe as possible.

Have fun.

creamegg
16th Dec 2007, 22:51
It is getting nearer...eek!!!!!

Can't believe I am letting this bother me, I mean its no big deal is it, you guys and girls that work in this industry are up and down all the flaming time!!!!

deltahotel
17th Dec 2007, 13:14
The 75 has a number of good bits - mainly it is fantastically over powered and has big powerful brakes which as good in aeroplanes as it is on motorbikes. Enjoy the flight. ps I am operating my 75 out of Copenhagen all week!!

DH

Richard Spandit
17th Dec 2007, 13:56
Remember, all twin engined aircraft only need one engine to fly - the other one is there for redundancy. Flew to Rovaniemi yesterday (change from Kittila) and it was a beautiful trip. Enjoy - wish I could stay there!!

radeng
17th Dec 2007, 14:11
Just remember that the most dangerous part about flying is the motorway to and from the airport!