PDA

View Full Version : BK117 long line window

hallaheli
11th Dec 2007, 16:56
Does anyone out there know of an STC for a BK117 longline window? What about an external cargo basket when using high density seating?

Cheers!

John Eacott
12th Dec 2007, 05:55
I've not heard of a long line window for the BK, but Kawasaki do produce a ski basket for external loads, it takes 70kg and is fixed on the port side, aft of the sliding door. It does carry a limit, though: no external sling loads with the basket installed!

What length 'long line' are you operating with the BK? Most Australian firefighting BK117's operate with a 100ft (30 metre) line, no-one seems to have much of an issue operating leaning out of the cockpit and flying the line that way ;)

hallaheli
12th Dec 2007, 14:35
Thanks for the info. We run our lines anywhere from 100-150' Removing the door is a great option-the visibility is much better. We are however looking at some work which would find us at temperatures near or below freezing. Doors off in these temps is not fun, I've been there. Is there enough interest out there to justify an STC?

Regarding the baskets I've seen pictures of a Kiwi company running a fibreglass ski basket. Is this the kawasaki version? They called it a heli-pod. I checked out the crew that does the robbie pods under the same name but there is no list of an STC for the BK.

skidbiter2
12th Dec 2007, 20:03
Hallaheli

Not sure if this is the company you were looking at with the pod, but they could be worth an email?

http://www.helicoptersotago.co.nz/commercial_ops.html

They may be able to point you in the right direction?