PDA

View Full Version : SIA Cargo: Year End How-Goes-it?

portquartercv67
11th Dec 2007, 00:22
Fellow Pilots. I remember this time last year there was much hope for 2007 and betterment at SIAC, especially in our working conditions: One of "us" in the office, STG coming into full swing, positive anticipation of only cargo pilots being able to fly "our" aircraft, promised improvement to COPs and roster stability, more time off at "home", increase in flying hours etc...

It's one year on and would be interested to hear what my fellow colleagues think today about the past year and what your expectations are for the coming year and if you think they will be met.

Happy Holidays to all!

PQ

expat400
11th Dec 2007, 01:36
Pay is good. I've grossed about 300000 SGD this year and still only done about 50 hours a month. With slightly less than 10 % tax that gives me a good life in Singapore.

But, the last months disruptions are killing me and my family life... I understand the company's wish to squeeze in charters and try to maximize the profit but it is not sustainable for the employees.

We need some fixed off days every month.
We need rules for how and when they can use us on non-scheduled days.
We need more vacation (currently 32 days a year).
We need staff travel benefits.

You can see the above as a very modest wish list for the upcoming CA- negotiations...

Fly safe!

expat400
11th Dec 2007, 10:21
Ok, just realised the post can fool those possible new applicants a bit. Let me rephrase some of it:
Pay was good this year since I got approx. 71000 SGD in various bonus payment.

skiesfull
12th Dec 2007, 15:49
The silence is deafening! Either everyone is happy with the status quo or else they are too busy with writing CV's and attending interviews?

Merlinrabbi
12th Dec 2007, 17:49
:eek: <10% tax !! how did you managed to do that ... care to share :E

CargoBoy
12th Dec 2007, 18:35
Present status is that the operations is in shambles. However, we are keeping our hopes high as union negotiations for a collective agreement with management begin Jan 2008.

Cargoboy

Metro man
12th Dec 2007, 22:44
<10% tax !! how did you managed to do that ... care to share

Efficient government that doesn't squander tax payers money on welfare and foreign aid. Drug problem well under control hence little crime to deal with. No political correctness. Illegal immigrants given immediate 180 backtrack rather than free lawyer to sue the government for $100 000s compensation. No free lawyer in court, no jury - criminals actually go to prison !

Top tax bracket 20% on incomes over $320 000/year (AU$250 000). Over 60% of people pay no income tax. F/O tax about 5% of income

Easy really :)

figair1
12th Dec 2007, 23:13
I was wondering about my interview on january...is SIA cargo a good opportunity for those who fly a B763 in south america country?, how is the life over there?, and anyone can give some advise about the interview...how is it, are there trick questions...how is it in general terms?, thanks a lot, and happy holidays to all of you...from the other site of the planet...:ok:

CargoBoy
13th Dec 2007, 00:32
If you are planning to work for SIA CARGO, please be forewarned that life here is not so rosy. If you are willing to accept the terms below, then only then sign on the dotted line.

1. Housing allowance of 3200 per month would not cover rent of a decent place( in most expat's view)

2. You will often position more than you fly. No pay for positioning. You only get upgrage seats if available. Positioning on freighter is getting more common.

3. Your roster is not even worth the paper you print it out on. Don't plan anything on your rostered off days because there is a high chance your COP will change. A 2 day COP can stretch to 16 days. Too bad if you did not pack enough underwear.

4. If you are an FO, upgrade is on local terms, meaning no housing and children school allowance.

5. Expect to fly an average of 50 hours a month.

6. No transport allowance too and fro your home in Singapore.

7. Staff travel is a joke. ID 75 tickets cost more than firm tickets on other airlines.

8. Be treated as a second class pilot within SIA. SIA pax fleet gets better benefits.

Above are just a few points that come to my mind. I am sure my worth colleagues can add to them.

CargoBoy

expat400
13th Dec 2007, 04:14
Merlinrabbi!

It's not a secret. The first five years in Singapore you can apply for the NOR scheme. (Not Ordinary Resident).

That way you get 10 % flat tax on your taxable income (which is less than your actual).

I ended up paying about 8-9 % on my total remuneration last year.

http://www.iras.gov.sg/ESVPortal/iit/iit-se-a1.1.14+nor.asp

..and by the way... CargoBoy is correct. Let me just add that SIA Mainline is doing very well at the moment so there's less and less seats available in First or Business. My last three positionings have all been in Economy. Survivable but with the amount of postioning we do it's not sustainable.

I also set my hope to the coming CA. Without rules for rostering in the future this job is only for bachelors (or you will become one).

BANANASBANANAS
13th Dec 2007, 11:24
Have to agree with Cargo Boy.

Much will depend on how the Collective Agreement shapes up. In the meantime, Housing Allowance is woefully inadequate, Delay and Disruption is acknowledged by Management to be at its worst in SIA Cargo's brief history, revised Christmas and January rosters are still not published and people continue to resign.

Should ALPA S Cargo care to stand up and be counted then items to be seriously addressed radically and quickly are:

Housing Allowance

Positioning Pay

Confirmed Business Class seats when positioning on duty

Some degree of roster stability - Off days published 28 days in advance and not to be altered without the agreement of the individual.

Meaningful career structure for F/Os - command courses on expatriate terms for expats

Staff travel for self + spouse on Freighter aircraft.

Increase to OOB Allowance - mainline get 2 reviews a year. We have had no review in 3+ years

Minimum of 42 days annual holiday

I am not holding my breath.

If SIA Cargo had a school report it would read something like

"Shows promise but consistently fails to deliver. Please try harder next semester."

Happy christmas fellow Freighters. :ok:

Left Coaster
14th Dec 2007, 01:14
Thanks BB...same to you and yours from ours! To all the seriously hard working line boys at Cargo, all the best this holiday season.
LC

BANANASBANANAS
21st Dec 2007, 07:37
Well, there it is. Hot off the press. That will really make a difference won't it?

Just what planet do our decision makers live on?:ugh:

Left Coaster
23rd Dec 2007, 01:56
Hi BB...so you found out the same thing others realised some while back...where the buck stops...!?
Seriously, many thanks for the long hours spent on this...you are a boneheaded hero! :\
Our very best to you and yours from the Coaster's house!
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!:ok:

BANANASBANANAS
23rd Dec 2007, 05:20
Thanks LC (I think!).

This particular issue will not go away in the manner that SIA Cargo would, no doubt, like. Yet more information is being collated to present to the people who think that 50% of 3000 = 350......:rolleyes:

Happy christmas to you and yours from me and mine.:ok: