PDA

View Full Version : TriStar for avionics upgrade

mary_hinge
10th Dec 2007, 15:12
I don't begrudge this, but had FSTA remained on track / time scale, would this have been necessary?

http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2007/12/05/220088/picture-first-raf-tristar-arrives-for-avionics-upgrade.html

Ivan Rogov
10th Dec 2007, 15:54
"plus a replacement flight management system"

Are they keeping the Air Eng?

Roland Pulfrew
10th Dec 2007, 18:02
Just how long are the ARC IPT planning to extend the Tristar in service????

What does this mean for FSTA?????:suspect:

A and C
10th Dec 2007, 18:11
With the cost of overhauling the older electromechanical indicators and the avalabilty of spare parts it is probably a very cost effective move if you intend to keep the Tristar.

It will also let sensors that were science fiction when the Tristar was built integrate with the flight management & navigation system.

I shall not enter the Tristar replacement debate!

Biggus
11th Dec 2007, 18:11
At approx 9 months per airframe, and the implications from the article that they are all being done, but one at a time, the entire programme should be complete by mid/late 2014.

So when exactly is FSTA due to arrive?????

FE Hoppy
11th Dec 2007, 18:40
About time too. Will it be renamed the L1012?

Always a Sapper
11th Dec 2007, 18:54
2014? ... is that when the VC10's are booked in??? .... :E:E:E

I would'nt larf ... considering who's in charge at the moment..... :sad:

LFFC
3rd Dec 2010, 16:09
Looks like the first upgraded TriStar is finally ready! :confused:

TriStar Upgrade Underway - 3 Dec 2010 (http://www.key.aero/view_news.asp?ID=2829&thisSection=military)

December 3: Cambridgeshire-based Marshall Aerospace says it has completed development and clearance flying of the Minimum Military Requirements (MMR) Avionics Upgrade for the Royal Air Force’s fleet of Tristar transport aircraft.

tridriver
3rd Dec 2010, 17:57
Wow... That jorno sure has his finger on the pulse....or is it fum.

RumPunch
3rd Dec 2010, 22:17
What about fatigue , I not going to mention rumours but the aircraft is hanging out its ass. Surely this is not true

On_The_Top_Bunk
3rd Dec 2010, 23:48
What about fatigue , I not going to mention rumours but the aircraft is hanging out its ass. Surely this is not true

I flew on one a few weeks ago and nothing fell off so they must be OK. :ok:

glum
4th Dec 2010, 08:06
Very low hours compared to the ones that were out in civvy street, so although they're being asked to do things Mr Lockheed hadn't originally thought of, they should be good... so long as the MOD keeps them serviced to the right standards by quality organisations. :rolleyes:

ORAC
4th Dec 2010, 08:18
Another contract we're locked into I presume? :hmm:

The Trial Installation aircraft has been handed back to the Ministry of Defence to undergo scheduled maintenance before re-entering operational service in the spring of next year.

At approx 9 months per airframe, and the implications from the article that they are all being done, but one at a time

SDSR: Tri-Star to start being withdrawn from use by 2013 and completely withdrawn by 2015.

valveclosed
4th Dec 2010, 09:42
For the proposed out of service date when this contract was agreed, at the time!, there was a requirement for an avionics upgrade to allow the aircraft to continue to operate as regulations changed regarding min nav equipment!
As for the hours on the aircraft they are still pretty low compaired to the civvie frames that were out there

As for the time scale, the origional prog and time scale was sensible, sadly as all things like this things hit delays, hence the frame not being on the Sqn yet

Redcarpet
4th Dec 2010, 09:49
Sounds like another Marshalls Shambles. When will we learn. :ugh:

Blighter Pilot
4th Dec 2010, 13:07
Can we cancel the rest of the program or will we have to pay Marshall's a vast amount of money?

Still, if you are in the market for low hour Tristars with a DAS and an avionics upgrade you'll know which company to call in a couple of years:mad:

glum
7th Dec 2010, 20:22
Sounds like another Marshalls Shambles.

They got smart and bought the DA. Don't blame them for continuing to accept work - I bet the license from Lockheed wasn't cheap...